Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this good value for a London Travelcard

Nov 7th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

We usually like to pay for as much of our trips before we leave. I have found that I can pre purchase a London Travelcard for 7 consecutive days - Zones 1-6 - for $100 Australian dollars.

Can anyone advise if this represents good value or should we wait to buy transport passes on our arrival.

Many thanks.
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:12 PM

First of all - why do you need a 7-day, 6 zone card?? Unless you are staying way out of the center in zone 6, you only need a zone 1-2 card.
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj - we may actually be travelling in from Heathrow and that card includes Heathrow.

I'm not sure what zones we actually need but I'm guessing from your reply zones 1-2 is basically enough - a 7 day zone 1-2 card is AUD54.

We were hoping to get to Notting Hill as well for a 1/2 day or so - can you advise what zone this is in please?

Many thanks.

Nov 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM

You don't need to pay for 7 days of 6 zone travel just to get to/from LHR. You buy a zone 1-2 travel card and a small supplement for the couple of trips to zone 6.

And you don't need buy ANY before you leave home. Wait until you are in London - there is a tube station right at LHR where you can buy your oyster card loadede w/ a weekly travel card and the LHR supplements.

95% of all the major tourist sites are in zone 1. But they no longer sell a pass just for zone 1 - so zone 1-2 is the cheapest deal for most travelers.

The main sites in zone 2 are Greenwich and the Zoo. In zone 6 -- LHR and Hampton Court Palace.
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj - one more thing - our exchange rate against the GBP is absolutely abysmal. (Actually our exchange rate against any currency seems horrendous) Our dollar buys about 35p. This is why we like to pay for as much as we can before we leave in our own currency. With this in mind about how much would a weekly pass cost from a tube station in pounds.
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM

A weekly Zone 1-2 is about £22.
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Well, that works out to about the AUD54 mark. So probably six of one half a dozen of another.
thanks for your help
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:40 AM

i bought my weekly 1-3 zone card this morning and it was £26.

You only need zones 1-2 for the main sites. You can buy extra once you're here - it's called prepay or top-up. Under no circs buy cash tickets on the day - they cost much more than the prepay version.
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM

There is not the slightest need to purchase before arrival in London...even if you buy the zone 1 & 2 visitor's travelcard, which is at this writing a paper ticket BTW, you will still need to stop at the booking office to buy the supplement for travel to and from Heathrow so why not just the one stop...

You ask for a zone 1 & 2 travelcard it will come on an oyster card with the £3 deposit waived...you then ask for the supplementg...weekdays between 0700 and 1900 the supplement is £1.80 and at other times it's £1 so if the trips to and from Heathrow are the only trips outside zones 1 & 2, you can purchase the supplemental fares and be done with it...if you venture outside zones 1 & 2, you can purchase additional PAYG time from the booking office at any time.

It's really the only way to go despite the feeling of some that it is advantageous to buy in advance. (to me just one more thing to forget when packing)....