Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is this correct we can take a small laptop bag as well as hand luggage bag? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-correct-we-can-take-a-small-laptop-bag-as-well-as-hand-luggage-bag-690556/)

64kerry Mar 23rd, 2007 04:42 PM

Is this correct we can take a small laptop bag as well as hand luggage bag?

leaving in 3 weeks from Australia
san francisco
canada
europe
can we take as an extra piece of hand luggage a small laptop? I checked Air New Zealand website and according to this we can. will it be the same with other airlines?
they are:
air canada
lufthansa
singapore airlines
so I am assuming we can have 20" roller hand luggage bag, laptop bag and a coat. my husband will carry the laptop and can I still carry a handbag (it wont be large)?
thank you for info you have all be invaluable in providing info for us (first time international travellers) as we plan our 7 week trip. Kerry

janisj Mar 23rd, 2007 04:47 PM

In the States the extra bag is fine. But out of the UK, and soon out of any western European country, you can only have one single item. So the lap top will have to fit inside your other hand luggage.

But this is only through security. Once you are airside, you can take it out and carry 2 items on to the plane.

janisj Mar 23rd, 2007 04:48 PM

meant to add - a coat/outerwear doesn't count as a carry on item.

janisj Mar 23rd, 2007 04:49 PM

sheesh - also meant to add -- Your handbag is the same - it will have to fit inside the carry on.

lincasanova Mar 23rd, 2007 04:51 PM

... going through security.

Jean Mar 23rd, 2007 04:55 PM

Janisj has answered your question, but I would add that in general I wouldn't assume that airlines all have the same policies. And, unfortunately, I also wouldn't assume the same airline interprets its own policies exactly the same from airport to airport around the world.

janisj Mar 23rd, 2007 05:01 PM

this really isn't an airline issue - it is airport security that determines how many pieces you can take through the scanners.

64kerry Mar 23rd, 2007 09:16 PM

janisj
thank you for the info you said arriving in states is OK will this be the same for arriving in Canada? also another question: we are allowed 7kg carry on does this include the laptop weight? also does my handbag have to fit inside carry on when arriving in the states and canada or do you only mean arriving Europe?
does anyone know how much approximately it costs per kg for baggage overweight. we have quite a few presents for friends in California, Canada & Germany in fact just weighed them all and total is 16.5kg. so i'm a bit worried about weight. we havn't started packing yet but soon just trying to sort out presents first. thanks Kerry

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 23rd, 2007 11:05 PM

It's not about arrival it's about departure, so once again:

When departing from US and/or Canada you are allowed a carry on and 1 personal bag, i.e. a purse, a laptop bag, etc...

When departing from the UK (and this is already true) and soon all the EU countries (I believe it goes into effect on 15 April), you are allowed only 1 bag, PERIOD.

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 23rd, 2007 11:11 PM

The above is true for <i>carry on</i>. That's a <b>security rule</b> and stricly enforced. The airlines don't have a say in this.

<i>Check in</i> bags are only limited to each <b>airline rules</b>. That varies from airline to airline and also is different for economy, business and first class passengers.

ira Mar 24th, 2007 04:38 AM

Hi 64,

&gt;we are allowed 7kg carry on does this include the laptop weight?&lt;

On your way to Europe, 7kg carryon + one item of personal luggage (laptop or purse).

To leave Europe, 7kg total. Laptop and purse have to go in the carryon.

((I))

traveller1959 Mar 24th, 2007 06:03 AM

Here are the Lufthansa rules:

Pieces of carry-on baggage

In First and Business Class you may take two pieces of hand baggage on board. Please stow one of the pieces under the seat in front of you. Economy Class passengers are only permitted one piece of hand baggage.

Size and weight of carry-on baggage

Each piece of hand baggage may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg. An exception are foldable garment bags. They count as hand baggage up to a size of 57 x 54 x 15 cm.

Pieces of baggage exceeding these limits have to be checked in. As the stowage space in the cabin is limited we will transport them in the cargo hold. This is in the interests of your own and other passengers' safety and comfort.

These items you may take into the cabin in addition

In addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin:

* A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
* A coat, shawl or blanket
* A small camera or a pair of binoculars
* An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
* A baby basket and baby food for the flight
* Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on

In practice, they are pretty relaxed with these rules. I never had a problem, and I never noticed someone else having a problem - and I have frequent traveller status.

The British rules do not apply for the rest of Europe and WILL NOT. Sorry, but our British Fodorites are wrong. It still is an island.

rkkwan Mar 24th, 2007 07:19 AM

traveller1959's describing current rules that are good until 4/16 on Continental Europe. The others are talking about what will happen starting 4/17. Since the OP is leaving OZ in 3 weeks and still have to visit the US and Canada, the new rules will apply to them by the time they get to Europe.

64kerry Mar 24th, 2007 04:03 PM

thanks everyone for valued info. by the time we get home from our holiday I should be able to give others advise I hope. being first time travellers you get a bit nervous about the rules &amp; regulations. I would say they are enough to put some people off ever travelling. not us just like to be informed prior. many thanks Kerry

stormbird Mar 24th, 2007 04:34 PM

Hi 64,
I'm not sure what state you are from but in our Brisbane Sunday paper today there is a special article on the new carry on regulations. They are -

Air New Zealand/Singapore Airlines - Carry on - ONE PIECE ONLY up to 7 kg. Check in 20kg.

This comes into force on 31/3/07. Also any liquid, gel, paste, cream or aerosol can be carried in cabin baggage only in containers of 100ml or less and must be carried in a clear resealable plastic bag that is x-rayed separately to your other luggage.

This is based on flights between Australia and Europe and for economy passengers. Business class allowances are slightly better.

64kerry Mar 24th, 2007 11:12 PM

thanks Stormbird we are from South Australia. not happy about the 3kg less in checked luggage was under the impression we could have 23kg. many thanks kerry

alanRow Mar 25th, 2007 12:20 AM

Last time I check Air NZ regs for flights to/from Europe the weight allowances were different depending on whether you went via Singapore or Los Angeles.

If this itinerey is booked as a single ticket then you should get the higher weight throughout BUT check your tickets / booking as that should tell you