Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this an impossible itinerary to Amsterdam/Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday 9/26: Leave NYC
Saturday 9/27: Arrive Prague- 2 hr layover until flight to Amsterdam
12:00 Noon arrive Amsterdam
Sunday 9/28
Monday 9/29
Tuesday 9/30: Fly to Prague
Wednesday 10/1
Thurday 10/2
Friday 10/3- Fly back to US.

Is this workable?

Also, I am staying at a very unknown hotel -The Astoria- should I be nervous about this area and/or accommodations?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM

There was a link on Astoria just the other day. I've never heard of it, either, but it's downtown in the Jewish quarter. Sounds nice. 4 stars.

Itinerary seems fine. Personally, I spent 1 day in Amsterdam, and had enough of it! Have spent up to 1 month at a time in Prague & never get bored.You might find that some things are closed in Amsterdam on Sundays & Mondays, but it's still a bustling city every day of the week.

Do you have a connecting flight or a "new" flight from Prague? There are sometimes delays at passport control there, but it shouldn't be that bad that you are late for another flight, since you have 2 hours. (By the way, Amsterdam airport is THE WORST for passport control - enormous lines & rude workers.)

Good luck & Have fun!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Just to provide a second opinion: I have always found Schipol (Amsterdam) to be one of the easiest airports, both coming and going. I've traveled a lot to AMS on business. Never encountered long lines or rude people. I could find plenty to keep me busy for the time you're there.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Your time split betwen the cities is fine. But I would be pretty nervous about having only 2 hours between a transatlantic flight and a connection. 2 hours is fine IF you land on time, IF there is a gate immediately available for your plane, IF pasport control is fully staffed, IF there are no security problems.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Intrepid

Connection times can depend on MANY factors as Janis has pointed out..I recently connected from a domestic flight within Europe to a transatlantic flight to the US with all the security checks and lots of people waiting, and did so in less than an hour in Frankfort.
Face it..if you're already booked you'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I think, depending on your interests, you'll find plenty to keep you occupied in both these great cities.