Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this a new practice in restaurants? Or just new to me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our b&b owner booked restaurants for us during the two nights we were in Arras.

On the second night, a glass of kir, I was told by my husband, and a small bowl of olives were brought to the table as soon as we sat down. We hadn’t ordered either and had barely opened the menus.

When the bill came, we found we’d been charged for the drinks, but not the olives.

Once in a long while a restaurant at home may, unasked, bring a small glass of something to try, and not charge for it. We had assumed that was the case here.

Is this a thing now here? It’s never happened to us in France before. If we’d known we were going to be charged for it, we would have waved it off.

It just seems odd, and it would be helpful to know if it’s something we should be on the lookout for.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:20 AM

I do t know where Arras is, but we’ve been in France for 10 nights now and have not experienced this.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:25 AM

It sounds like a tourist restaurant padding the bill. I’d’ve been leery just because it was at the beginning of the dinner. If they “bring something out to try” it’s almost always because you’ve established a friendly rapport with the waiter. Did you contest it?

good to know. Thanks for posting—I haven’t encountered that either.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds a bit like the Portuguese practice, whereby they put assorted olives etc on the table, and you pay if you don't tell them to remove them. Doesn't usually include drinks. Haven't heard of it in France before, but I would certainly not just assume something I hadn't ordered was free.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I know in Italy it used to be you may or may not pay for bread, and that’s fine. That’s expected, at least when we were last there in 2010.

We’d never experienced this before, and it just never occurred to us we’d be charged. We’d thought it was a nice, goodwill gesture on the part of the restaurant.

Lesson learned.

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It is totally normal for them to bring olives, peanuts, popcorn, pretzels or other small snacks if you order a drink before a meal. It is not at all normal to bring you a drink that you did not order except in certain Chinese or Indian restaurants, but then they make a point of telling you that it is free.

Frankly, I cannot imagine booking a restaurant in a backwater like Arras unless you wanted to eat close to closing time.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

We’d had two extremely long, taxing, emotionally draining days, and if the b&b owner (lovely lady) could recommend and book places for us, so much the better, one less thing to think about.

The place on Monday was jammed, so her assistance was a real help.

Hope you’re coming to the petite gtg in Montmartre
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
but I would certainly not just assume something I hadn't ordered was free.

I would. And obviously that would be a mistake. I guess.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:21 PM

You could certainly get such an item removed from the bill, in France at least. A kir particularly is not the same value as a lobster tail or a serving of caviar.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You were scammed.

Thin,aristocrat 🚬
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:45 PM

We've dined at 30-40 restaurants in France each year for the past 20 years. This has never happened to us. Arras is not a "touristy" place.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It happened to a group of us in Turkey and we all refused to pay.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Perhaps it was the "helpful" hotel that told them "give them a kir when they arrive."
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 01:02 PM

It's never happened to me in France, but it's a typical ting they do in Spain, so they were copying it. I hate it and learned real quick in Spain to refuse it. I don't even like the stuff, which is what really bugs me, I don't want olives and crackers, and it's a big waste of food (I presume they throw it away if it just sits there, which raises other questions).

Never heard of this with an actual drink though, even in Spain it's just the stupid olives.

It was a ripoff.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 03:27 PM

No. I've had thousands of meals in restaurants in France, and that has never happened to me. I would refuse it, or certainly refuse to pay for it. I think my first reaction, though, would be to say "Is this for someone else? I didn't order it!"
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Apparently a way to pad the bill. I also would have assumed it was complimentary (kir is not a fancy or expensive beverage) since it was delivered to the table without request or conversation.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Frankly, I cannot imagine booking a restaurant in a backwater like Arras unless you wanted to eat close to closing time.
There are at least two reasons to book a restaurant. The primary reason, of course, is to ensure you get a table. But you also may book as a courtesy to the restaurant - so they know you're coming and can plan for you. That may also help you, the customer, to get better service. Strange that a European wouldn't understand this.

Furthermore, it sounds elitist to suggest that restaurants in 'backwaters' don't deserve for their customers to book. We all get that restaurants will always get some portion of their business as walk-ins, however, an attitude that you 'cannot imagine booking a restaurant' just because it's in a 'backwater' is chilling.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 04:26 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Christina
It's never happened to me in France, but it's a typical ting they do in Spain.... I don't want olives and crackers, and it's a big waste of food I hate it and learned real quick in Spain to refuse it.
Except that in Spain, the tapa often is free -- it depends on the region, the place, etc.

The only time I was given what seemed a free drink for which I was charged was in Mostar -- I was told, upon arrival, that I would be served a free beverage. A waiter then came to ask my order, which I gave. Turns out, that wasn't the free drink, and since I drank it, I had to pay for it. Growl.

Last edited by Moderator3; Sep 25th, 2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Poster request to remove hotel name
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 04:32 PM

I am not familiar with Arras, so can't comment on whether it's a "backwater" or not. But I think that a fair number of restaurants that we at least occasionally eat at here in the sticks would be considered to be "in the backwaters," and we always reserve in advance. Maybe they'll only have two or three other tables filled that evening, and maybe we didn't need to reserve, but we always assume (maybe wrongly?) that reserving in advance gives them a kind of kick of familiarity and sense of loyalty that might make them feel better about what they do and a better connection with their customers. Pure conjecture here, but I also think maybe we get a bit extra out of it - quicker or more attentive service, a special "side dish," whatever. And that's NOT what we're aiming for, but I do think it happens.

There is a restaurant not far from us, La Savie, that is in the middle of nowhere. The owner is an artist who opens the restaurant only for 3-4 months out of the year. People around here know him and know what a genius he is in the kitchen. You could almost certainly drop in to this restaurant any evening June - August without a reservation and have a lovely meal in a delightful setting - a truly "backwater" setting. We always make reservations, even though we know it is entirely unnecessary. We normally do it by SMS or email, and you can actually feel the owner's delight when he responds. There is something about this simple exchange between us when reserving a table that makes the forthcoming dinner even more memorable and personal than it normally would be.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 05:21 PM

I’d think you were more likely to reserve a table in a “backwater”. In the “backwaters” I’m familiar with, you won’t be eating when you want to eat if you don’t book a table, and unlike in a city, you can’t just walk out and have an equally good meal elsewhere.

Kja—was that the type of thing where “free drink in the bar” is advertised as an amenity, and then it turns out they only let you choose from a very short list of free (very cheap) drinks? That’s happened to me before, but luckily I mentioned the free drink thing before ordering. super annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -