Search

Is this a good location in the marais? Safety wise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good location in the marais? Safety wise

38 rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie

There is an apartment near the Beaubourg/Pompidou Center. Is this safe at night for two women? We won't be out very late, but we might not be together at night upon returning to the apartment.

Thanks,

Monica
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM

It looks fine to me. I live in Paris (in the 16th) but often visit the Marais. The flat seems to be located in a lively area (full of cafes and shops) just to the north of BHV (one of the big department stores). In that general area, the only part I find a little dodgy is the area right by the metros Chatelet and Les Halles. (Very busy, very touristy, but also full of "underemployed youth" and some of the types who prey on tourists.) But you're actually located a fair distance from those areas, in the heart of the Marais.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We currently have a smaller studio booked (looking for something a little larger)on 32 rue du Vieille Temple, which actually intersects with Bretonnerie. Is there a difference of safety between these few blocks?

Thanks again,

Monica
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rue du Veille temple is always busy. I stayed over two weeks. My hotel was at number 12.
Monica, I'd love to see the # 32.
mimi
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

http://www.rentparis.com/details.php?l=en&id=25 Here's the studio. It's tiny but should be good for us. The one I found on 38 rue S. Bretonnerie is a lot larger but we do like rue vieille Temple. It looks like the two places are about 4 blocks apart.

Monica
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you, Monica. It looks like a Murphy bed so the room will be larger when it's not pulled down. I want to stay on that street again one day.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I think we'll be staying with the studio. We'll be gone most of the day anyway and would like to save on the cost of the rental. The other one would mean an additional $340 per person.

Monica
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Monica, I am a woman in her mid-forties who has traveled to Paris annually for the last five years, alone. I have always felt safe in Paris walking alone day or night including the area that you are staying at. Occasionally, I have taken a wrong turn and ended up in areas that were closed down but I have not felt uncomfortable. In areas that appeared a little more worn or seedy, I trust my instincts. If a cafe appears to be full of men who do not look like they would welcome a female, I find one that feels right.

Hope that you have a fabulous trip.

Tamara
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM

We actually stayed in that apartment in Feb. 2003. We loved it. The neighborhood couldn't be safer. It's a great location.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

opaldog, did you stay in the studio on rue vieille du Temple or the apartment on de la Bretonnerie?

Thanks Tamara, it will be my 5th visit to Paris (last one May 2002), so I am really excited to be going back!

Monica
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie is the main drag (sic) of the gay ghetto. Absolutely and totally safe for women.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM

We stayed at 38 rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie. We were 5 of us (family comprised of parents and adult children and spouse) and it was fine for all of us. The bathroom had doors opening into the bedroom and the living room/ dining area. My husband and I slept on the sleep sofa and it was not uncomfortable. This also gave us use of the t.v. and kitchen. The kitchen was nice and the view of the street was great. There is alot going on in the marais; if you are bothered by street noise (people mostly) and are going in the warm months you may not like it. I happen to enjoy that aspect of apartment living. I am there to enjoy the people, sights, and sounds of Paris. I recommend the apartment.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll keep that apartment in mind for a future trip and when I decide I want to spend more money per night.

Monica