Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is this a good location for an apartment in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-a-good-location-for-an-apartment-in-rome-819904/)

wrenwood Jan 3rd, 2010 10:20 AM

Is this a good location for an apartment in Rome?

What do you all think of an apartment near Piazza Delle Cinque Scole?

Safe and nice neighborhood? Restaurants? Location for walking to the major sites?

J62 Jan 3rd, 2010 11:13 AM

Yes, it's a good location. Right in the heart of the Jewish Ghetto, walking distance to the main sights of the historic center, Trastevere, very close to the transportation hub at Largo Argentina.

Vttraveler Jan 3rd, 2010 11:46 AM

A great location. Very central and an interesting neighborhood. There are lots of good restaurants in the ghetto and across the Tiber in Trastevere and it is a short walk to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.

LoveItaly Jan 3rd, 2010 12:52 PM

Hello, wrenwood, just be aware it is very obvious that magic_simon is posting on most threads about Rome to advertise HIS B&B..which is against the rules of Fodor's of course.

wrenwood Jan 5th, 2010 06:02 AM

Looks like Magic Simon disappeared POOF!

wrenwood Jan 5th, 2010 02:21 PM

I just can't get excited about this area, I'm sure it's interesting, but I really think that I want to feel like I'm in ROME, i.e Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori or Pantheon area.

summer0260 Jan 5th, 2010 05:01 PM

wren,
If old Rome is what you want, then I think you would be much happier by the Pantheon. We stayed at an apartment there, and were so happy. You will understand why the Piazza della Rotondo is nicknamed "Rome's living room!" Take a look, and the price is unbelievable!
http://www.sleepinitaly.com/appartam.php?id_appartam=44

(Sorry-I'm not very tech savvy, or I would have set it up as a proper link...the apartment is available through sleepinitaly.com. Good luck!)

summer0260 Jan 5th, 2010 05:02 PM

Ooh! I did it! :-)

jjkbrook Jan 5th, 2010 07:30 PM

Restaurantwise, Sora Margherita and Piperno are right there and its a fascinating neighborhood, full of its own classical ruins and a short walk from the Campodoglio. the Tiber Island, the Campo de Fiori and other the major attractions - including that claustrophobically congested neighborhood around the pantheon. Personally I would look for a more residential neighborhood but this would certainly be classic old Rome

Vttraveler Jan 6th, 2010 12:45 PM

I am sure you will find some threads about the ghetto if you do a search. I have commented on many. Apres_Londee had a very good trip report early in 2009 with lots of pictures of the neighborhood.
We really enjoyed staying there. It definitely felt like Rome/"old Rome" to me.

Vttraveler Jan 6th, 2010 01:02 PM

this is the trip report I meant with good pictures of the ghetto neighborhood
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ondon-rome.cfm

wrenwood Jan 7th, 2010 06:59 AM

summer0260 ~ I looked at that apartment but I couldn't find a picture with a window in it ~ are there windows in that apartment?

Vttraveler ~ thanks for the link, those are some great pictures!

Anyone favor one of the 3 areas ~ Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori or Pantheon?

MelJ Jan 7th, 2010 07:12 AM

We just returned from Rome and stayed in an apartment we rented through romecapitalapartments.com. It was the Ferrogoli II on Piazza Colonna. We rented through them in 2008, along the Tiber and close to the Piazza Navona. I was great, but we were five this time and needed a larger place.

LOVED the location! We walked everywhere: Vatican, Castel Santangelo, Piazza Navona, Trevi, Colesseum, etc. I would definitely stay in that area again.

Leely2 Jan 7th, 2010 09:30 AM

wrenwood, these areas are very, very close to each other. None will feel "modern" or not like "old Rome." Really! If you're worried, do a google map street view and walk (virtually) around. It will give you a better idea. By the way, Rome is old as dirt and will look it in parts. Plus graffiti. It's wonderful.

Sincerely,
A Rome Lover

Vttraveler Jan 8th, 2010 03:57 AM

The three areas you are asking about are VERY close to each other. We stayed in the ghetto which is east of Campo de'Fiori, south of the Pantheon. Most evenings we took a stroll before or after dinner up to the Pantheon, then to P.Navonna, down to Campo de'Fiori and "home." These places are minutes away from each other on foot.
I would make a choice based on the apartment. Noise is a big factor for us and can be a problem in Rome.

wrenwood Jan 8th, 2010 04:55 AM

OK, I may give up on my fantasy of shopping for breakfast at Campo de Fiori in the mornings. It would probably take me hours of shopping and gawking and taking pictures, we would never get anywhere until noon!

I'm also concerned it may be a little noisy and one post on another thread (Franco's favorite Roman accommodation districts) makes me think it may be too "lively" for us ( I'm a very light sleeper)

“…in the evening - and late into the night - the Campo dei Fiori has become a place for drunken, rowdy crowds: many American college kids doing a semester in Rome and many young Italians who come in from the suburbs to booze it up. It's not a place that I enjoy walking through in the evening and one that I avoid late at night.
The general area - the triangle of Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona - is great, but I would avoid anything too close to the Campo itself.”

“New rules limiting take-away alcohol sales in the high-life night spots of Italy's capital Rome came into effect on Friday (January 16, 2009). Late-night sales will be banned in neighbourhoods famous for their nightlife to tamp down on loud, all-night partying. It is now illegal to sell take-away alcohol from in bars, restaurants, supermarkets or other outlets in some city-centre neighbourhoods after 9 pm. From 2 am, the sale of alcohol is banned inside bars and restaurants, although discos are exempt.
...... Campo de' Fiori, the downtown piazza where hundreds go every night to party in bars and restaurants...............I would, though, change a little what I said back in July 2007. Anything on or very close to the Campo itself is to be avoided, as is anything on the “main drags” that lead to the Campo, such as Via dei Giubbonari and Via dei Baullari. But there are streets in the Campo area that are not touched by the rowdiness, and the further the address is from the Campo, the better. Even 200 meters can make a difference.......... "

So.....I'm sure it's fine for most, especially if one wants to be part of the scene. All 3 of us are morning people, and 10:00-11:00 is a late evening for us. The most I hear at my house when we open the windows before going to bed are occassional dogs, cows, owls and tree frogs. So I'm wondering if closer to the Pantheon might be better for us?

Any thoughts on this street/location ~ Via del Seminario

J62 Jan 8th, 2010 05:20 AM

It's 0.5km from Piazza Delle Cinque Scole to Campo Dei Fiori. That doesn't negate your dream of shopping for breakfast.

In my expreience Campo dei Fiori is a beautiful sight, but the exact same produce is available at any of the nearby chain markets for far, far less. Merchants who set up shop at the Campo seem to be charging an artificial premium.

As for pictures, I was shouted at and chased away for taking pictures (close ups) last time I was there - after I balked at paying a euro to a burly guy.

As for noise, double paned windows do a great job of blocking the pedestrian noise. The Pantheon area is no quiter than the Campo dei Fiori or Pza Navonna area. They're all quite lively, especially on weekends. You're just comparing shades of gray. Since you are light sleepers and morning people, it seems to me that the Piazza Delle Cinque Scole might be exactly what you're looking for.

I think you're overthinking this, which I can understand. There's often too much info to absorb.

wrenwood Jan 8th, 2010 06:34 AM

Thanks J62, I'm sure I am overthinking this as I want to be sure it's OK for my husband and sister-in-law, not just me. I'm thoroughly won over to staying in Rome for 4 nights, but my husband would rather be in the Swiss Alps...... however happy enough to go for his sister (her dream vacation is Italy)

Vttraveler Jan 8th, 2010 06:49 AM

there is a small supermarket really near the Piazza Delle Cinque Scole--within half a block. We did end up getting more produce and groceries there than at the Campo de'Fiori open air market, but the latter is interesting to see.

J62 Jan 9th, 2010 04:34 AM

wrenwood,

If you haven't already found it, maps.google.com is a great tool to look at locations & directions.

You can also use the street view feature to actually walk down any street in Rome and

For directions it can give you direction by car, walking, or also public transportation. Plug in a few locations and you can see how close things are in the historic center of Rome.

You can even save a custom map with placemarks for your favorite locations.

Overall I find it the best web mapping tool around.