is this a good flight fare to Venice?

Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

is this a good flight fare to Venice?

Going on a cruise starting in Venice in November, Thanksgiving week - we're seeing fares to Venice (with a layover in Amsterdam) from Minneapolis for $776 on Northwest.

It seems from looking around on posts that this isn't bad - but as always, am worried we could do better by waiting. I hate this game.

would you book this rate? thanks!
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM

How long are you wiling to wait?

Fares now are only going up - and fall bargain fares (assuming Thanksgiving week isn;t blocked out) won;t be available until late summer. Doubt you will see anything much less until then - if at all. Are you willing to wait that long to confirm flights you MUST have for a cruise?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

That is a very good fare for your city pair; while it is not an all-time low, it is nowhere near the hikes other city pairs are experiencing. Since you need to be there on specific dates (you don't have the flexibility you think you do) for the cruise, I would strongly advice that you get your ticket, the price is not bad at all.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

great, that's what we thought but wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly impulsive about this. I booked the flights! I think it's a good fare, and the lack of flexibility on dates is a really good point. Thanks for the fast affirmations!
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Here is an article about the possible reduction of transatlantic fares that could come into play before your trip.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/03032007/34...tic-fares.html

My other thought, since you have to make a change of planes anyway, you might also check options flying into some place you might like to stop for a day or so (if you have the time). Northwest evidently flies non stop to London (LGW). This might be a nice stopover before going on to Venice.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

oh, I wish we had time to stopover somewhere on the way. Unfortunately my vacation time is really pathetic, which is also why we timed this over Thanksgiving week.

I'm so envious of Europeans and their vacation allotments.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

ncygirl1, not all the Europeans have flexible dates for vacations Here is Spain many many people has a month vacation in the summer (usually August) and they cannot choose. Then they have 4 or 5 days on Easter and Christmas. Only teachers have a lot more vacation time !
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Hi...

We are leaving out of Los Angeles into Rome and out of Venice over Thanksgiving on Swiss Air and are paying $885.00...which was the best fair I found. $776 seems pretty good. Is this out of NYC?
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

ChanB: no, not out of NYC - we just moved to Minneapolis (argh) so it's a Northwest fare from here. I would think flights out of any of the NYC airports would be cheaper, hopefully.
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM

oops! Missed Minneapolis on your first post. I have been so afraid of waiting to book for November because there is 6 of us. If there are only two you might be able to wait a little longer to see what comes up.

I think you need to decide which is more important...booking a good fair($776.00) and knowing that you are all set with that portion of your trip or wait to maybe get a lower fair, higher fair or not get the best flight for your vacation!