Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this a good August airfare Paris-Nice r/t?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I need two tickets Paris-Nice r/t departing July 31 and returning August 4. I'm arriving in Paris from the US at 11am on July 31st (non-stop). I would prefer to leave Nice on August 4th between 10am and 2pm. There are very cheap flights if I'm willing to leave very early or late, but mid day is what works best both ways.

Right now I can get a ticket on Air France for $227. I tend to book travel as soon as my itinerary is set - which sometimes turns out to not be the best decision cost-wise. Is this a decent price for this flight or will fares likely be better if I wait awhile?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM

Did you look at Easyjet? Or Vueling? I have used both successfully and for cheap too.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM

August is a bit quieter in Paris.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM

Any chance a train would work as well by the time you factor in airport time, etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:29 AM

easyJet has a flight to Nice at 6:35 p.m. from Charles de Gaulle, and a mid-afternoon return on Aug. 4. The list price, right now, is the equivalent of $156. It operates cheaper flights from Orly but that airport is on the opposite side of the city. In either case you will have to collect your bags and check back in with the second airline, going through security etc. www.easyjet.com
An alternative is to book your journey from the US all the way to Nice. Air France will take you into CdG and connect to Nice for only about $50 more than the Atlantic flight. It will handle your luggage straight through, and protect you if problems arise. AF, KLM and Delta are partners on these trans-Atlantic runs.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM

I think that is a very reasonable fare given current flight costs and value of usd to euro. I like Easyjet, also, it's fine.

But I don't understand your schedule, if you want to go right to Nice at the airport, then it isn't a separate ticket on Air France, it's the same flight, I do that all the time. I don't know how you are being quoted the fare, but I would imagine just adding Nice as the departure for your arrival flight and doing a one-way on Easyjet in the middle would be cheapest. And then you go fly into Orly from Nice if you want.

I think this is wht Southam is suggesting.
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Our tickets from the US was booked quite a while ago as FF tickets and couldn't be booked through to Nice. I did look at Easyjet which had a great fare, but I don't want to arrive in Paris at 11am and have to wait until their 6:30pm flight. I've never heard of Vueling, but will check them out. I believe the train would take over 5 hours, so I think flying is the best option.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I booked one way tickets on Air France to Nice from Paris for last summer (July) at 65E each, Orly to NCE, a few dollars more thatn the budget airlines were charging. I booked the tickets three months out.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies. Vueling does not fly this route. I'm limited to flying out from CDG since that is where I arrive to from the US. This does seem to be a good mid-day fare and I can't
be flexible to leave early or late in the day to get a better deal. Now I just need to determine if a 2 hour connection time between my Delta arrival and AF departure will be adequate when booked as two separate tickets. I have reposted that question on another thread.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM

You can get PREM fares direct from CDG to Nice for about 54 euros. Yes, the train trip is 5 hours, but I wager you'll end up at your destination in Nice at just about the same time you will if you hang around CDG to make the airline connection, fly, then have to get from the airport to your destination. Much more relaxing, and much cheaper.