Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is This a Good Airfare for Germany?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-a-good-airfare-for-germany-729110/)

nwtraveler Aug 15th, 2007 07:52 AM

Is This a Good Airfare for Germany??

It's been a while since I've traveled to Germany. I found an open jaw fare of $800 for May 2008. The flight is from Portland, OR to Berlin and then from Vienna back to Portland. Is this is a good fare for this destination and this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

tcreath Aug 15th, 2007 08:01 AM

It's hard to predict whether the price will go up or not, but given the much higher prices to Europe I think it looks like a pretty good deal. My thought is that if you like the itinerary and the prices fits within your budget then go for it.

Tracy

rex Aug 15th, 2007 08:02 AM

If it genuinely fits your needs - - right dates, satisfactory connections, and includes all taxes, then I recommend you buy it in the next three minutes.

Unless you are the kind of investor who knows how to double $800, with no risk, every six months. In which case - - I want to hire you to take over my portfolio.

Best wishes,

Rex

ira Aug 15th, 2007 08:07 AM

hi nw,

That's pretty good, especially for non-stop.

When in May?

Where did you find it?

((I))

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 15th, 2007 08:25 AM

I doubt very much the flights are non-stop.

Christina Aug 15th, 2007 08:26 AM

I think it's excellent assuming that includes all taxes/fees, because Vienna isn't cheap. That can't possibly be nonstop, I'm sure. I'll bet there is no such thing to/from Portland.

nwtraveler Aug 15th, 2007 09:07 AM

You're right it's not nonstop, but it does include all taxes and fees. The route is Portland-Dallas-London-Berlin and coming back it is Vienna-London-Dallas-Portland. With a switch from LHR to LGW on the return flight.

Ira, to answer your questions the airline is American and my trip is tentatively scheduled for late May.

rex Aug 15th, 2007 09:27 AM

<< a switch from LHR to LGW on the return flight >>

Ah, there's the rub...

Worth $150 less than without that fly in the ointment, IMO...

All depends on the relative value you put on money vesus possible (big) hassle and inconvenience. Can you build a night overnight stay in London (your lodging and other expenses your own) and get the same fare? That's how I would do it - - time permitting.

Gina_07 Aug 15th, 2007 09:31 AM

That sounds good enough to purchase.

ira Aug 15th, 2007 09:47 AM

Hi NW,

Even with the multiple stops, it is a decent price.

How much time do you have to get from LHR to LGW?

((I))

yk Aug 15th, 2007 09:49 AM

2 issues:

1) what Rex pointed out. Having to switch from LHR-LGW on the return flight. I know AA is moving one of its London flights from LGW to LHR sometime this fall, so I wonder if you couldn't just catch the new LHR-DFW flight?

2) You're not visiting the UK at all, but just by stopping in an UK airport you're paying an additional £40 Air Passenger Duty charge.

Try looking at UA which flies to FRA and partner with LH.

yk Aug 15th, 2007 09:57 AM

Looks like the LHR-DFW (AA 51) departs at 10:15am. Whereas your VIE-LHR arrives at 9:10am. With just over an hour to transit in LHR makes it an illegal connection.

nwtraveler Aug 15th, 2007 10:07 AM

As long as the flight arrives on time in LHR (9:10am) I have about 3.5 to 4 hours to get to LGW (2:15pm), assuming you have to get the airport 60-90 minutes before the flight. Is that enough time? What are the options for getting between LHR and LGW and how long does it normally take?

I did check United and their fare for the same dates and route is over $2,000. And round trip to Berlin is over $1800.

yk Aug 15th, 2007 10:15 AM

nwtraveler-

You have plenty of time for the LHR-LGW transfer. (check National Express coach website). You're responsible for the fare on the bus.

I certainly thinks the UA prices are way too high, but believe it may drop some. Looking at UA/LH and the * alliance option, you can fly:
nonstop PDX-FRA
nonstop FRA-TXL
nonstop VIE-FRA
nonstop FRA-PDX

If you need to get the tickets NOW, then go ahead and buy AA. If you can wait around a bit, I'd just keep checking UA's website for fare sale.

I personally would pick 2 flights over 3 flights + LHR-LGW transfer.

Last consideration, are you member of UA or AA's frequent flyer program? Do you have status in either one? That will make a difference in one's decision also.

nwtraveler Aug 15th, 2007 10:29 AM

You wouldn't believe it (or maybe you would), but the LHR to LGW transfer has completely disappeared from the AA schedule for the dates I was originally searching and the airfare is now over $900. Too funny!

I am a member of both UA and AA FF programs, but don't have enough miles.

logos999 Aug 15th, 2007 10:40 AM

Maybe the $384 inc. tax roundtrip Lufthansa special for May 2008 is something for you? Unfortunately only EWR/ORD/YYZ to DUS.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725185

yk Aug 15th, 2007 10:45 AM

<i>I am a member of both UA and AA FF programs, but don't have enough miles.</i>

I guess I should have been more clear - do you have elite status with either FF program?

Jolie Aug 15th, 2007 10:51 AM

I think it's a good price. When I fly from SFO to Europe, I usually pay around $1,100 (mostly on United, which is where I have my FF miles). I would take the $800, definitely.

nwtraveler Aug 16th, 2007 06:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate the help. I was able to find the $800 fare again after completely logging out of the AA site. I have decided to buy the $800 fare and not look at airfares again for the next 8 months. ;-)