Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is this a cool spring/summer in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-a-cool-spring-summer-in-europe-620897/)

julies Jun 4th, 2006 07:57 PM

Is this a cool spring/summer in Europe?

I know this was a long cold winter. Is spring/summer turning out to also be cooler than normal? I was just looking at some temps, and they seemed quite cool to me.

Scarlett Jun 4th, 2006 07:59 PM

Where in Europe?

guanciale Jun 4th, 2006 08:23 PM

I noticed that also with Italy. I thought June is usually quite hot in Rome, but it sure isn't yet. Am hoping it changes by next week!

AnthonyGA Jun 4th, 2006 09:33 PM

Virtually all of Europe will be hot in a few years, if current trends continue, so enjoy the cool weather while you can.

CotswoldScouser Jun 4th, 2006 09:51 PM

It's been a relatively cold, damp spring till now in south/central England. As a result, the countryside is exceptionally glorious right now

Unfortunately, the forecast for the next few days is for more or less average early June temperatures, with slightly more sunshine than usual. If this goes on, the countryside will start getting that horrid parched look.

sheila Jun 5th, 2006 01:19 AM

In this bit of Europe, it's not so much cool as bloddy freezing!

Kate Jun 5th, 2006 01:51 AM

A gloriously sunny day in London today, with good weather set for the rest of the week (mid-70s). Not boiling but very pleasant. Perhaps summer has finally arrived.

BTilke Jun 5th, 2006 02:07 AM

My mother and I just wrapped up a weeklong visit to the Salzburg region and it was VERY cool (and wet!). You could see fresh snowfall on the hills outside many towns (and I don't mean the tops of the mountain peaks, I mean fresh snow much lower down). We even saw a few flakes on the postbus from Salzburg to Zell am See. The UK (or at least the bit of it we live in) had its wettest May ever (or almost).
BUT...it is warming and drying up. And who knows, the rest of the summer could very well be hot and dry, although I doubt we'll see a repeat of the 2003 heat wave (knock wood).

fisches Jun 5th, 2006 02:13 AM

The weather in central Europe has been unusually cool and rainy. The spargel season was a flop because of the lack of sun. Northern Italy,too. Most of Spain has been its normal sunny self as has southern Italy.

Intrepid1 Jun 5th, 2006 02:29 AM

In Wiltshire, this past April, people were complaining about the drought and how much they needed rain.

PatrickLondon Jun 5th, 2006 02:41 AM

Well, now we know who to blame, Intrepid ...

BTilke Jun 5th, 2006 04:03 AM

Dead Ringers did a few very funny bits about the "wet drought" in the UK southeast this May (where we were exhorted to conserve water even though it was pouring down with rain). Among the water-saving tips: Drown with a friend.

Of course, there really is a water shortage problem here, but it would have been nice if as much effort had been put into fixing major leaks in pipes over the years as in hectoring consumers to cut back on water usage.

Eloise Jun 5th, 2006 04:11 AM

I was in Italy from May 8 to 29, and it was blisteringly hot: up to 38 C. on a few days in Sicily. But I've been watching the weather in Italy since then, and it seems to have turned cool and rainy.

Which only proves my personal belief that the weather world-wide has become totally ****ed up and unpredictable.

rbnwdln Jun 5th, 2006 04:27 AM

We went to Italy last June and it was horribly hot. Never wore the jacket I brought. So wasn't brining anything but T's and skirts, sandals, and capris for next week. Better look at the World weather! It better NOT be rainy next week!!!!!! Aaaarrrrgggghhh

SloJan Jun 5th, 2006 04:57 AM

So far, Spring and Summer have stunk. I am sitting here at my computer in my coast. :( Vienna was 15 degrees and Moscow was 29 degrees (C). And AnthonyGA, if the Gulf Stream continues to drop, then Europe will experience a mini ice age.

julies Jun 5th, 2006 05:09 AM

We'll be going to NW Germany and to Lithuania. The forecasts I saw for this week in Germany are for coolish weather and downright yukky in Lithuania. High today in Vilnius LT is 51F/11C warming up a bit this week to 68/20 and then right back down to the 50s again. I know Europe is typically more moderate than the temperature extremes where I live (Minneapolis), but we've been living in shorts and tee shirts for quite some time now and even had a spell last week-end in the upper 90s.

Tulips Jun 5th, 2006 05:44 AM

On May 31 it was 10 celcius during the day here in Antwerp. Apparently the coldest temperature for that time of year in 70 years. So yes, it has been unusually cold. I'm so glad the sun is shining today, and even more glad that I can escape to the Cote d'Azur this summer.

kenderina Jun 5th, 2006 07:03 AM

Here in Spain we had an unusual very hot May (August temperatures !) but now we have a spring time in June, not cold..but not as hot as June used to be. Who knows what will happen in July ?..I think the climate is turning a bit mad...

MaureenB Jun 5th, 2006 07:15 AM

We were in Rome-Florence-Venice-Santa Margherita Ligure- Nice, from May 7- May 23, and the weather was amazing. Everyday we had low 70s and mostly sunny skies. It was perfect. Only one morning, early in the trip, it poured rain in Rome, but cleared up by 11:00 a.m. I don't know how common this pattern is, but it worked for us. Now, here in Colorado, we're record-breaking heat and dryness, which is very concerning this early in the season.