COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there something I am missing about airport shuttles at Gatwick?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Marty

I'm confused. I have seen so many people recommend the airport shuttles as opposed to taking the Gatwick Express to hotels in London. There are 3 of us traveling to Gatwick next week. Every way I figure it, it will cost a lot more to take a shuttle than to just take the express and then a taxi to our hotel in Bloomsbury. I would love to use a shuttle, but I can't justify it cost-wise. Am I misunderstanding something?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I've not taken the shuttle, but I'd much rather be on that speedy train than stuck in London traffic somewhere.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Lesli

The prices here look quite cheap for door-to-door service, especially for 3, since they are per car, rather than per person. See: http://www.chauffeur.co.uk/prices.shtml

(Have not used this service myself, but looked into it for a friend.)

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Sue

We took the Gatwick Express to Victoria, bought our tube/bus passes, then taxied to Bloomsbury. Worked fine. (Taxi was 10 GBP) The express was more than we expected (10GBP ea.) but I'm sure you save money with roundtrip ticket.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Ger

Good point Brian.

It really depends on the time of day but once, admittedly during a transport strike, I spent about $160 from Bloomsbury to Gatwick. If there are no public transport problems - take the train. Also, consider traveling in off-peak hours.

Regards

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:41 PM
elvira

Gatwick Express is 10.50 and goes to Victoria Station. Let's say the taxi costs 10 & 1.50 tip. 3 people comes to 43. If the shuttle or a hired car/driver costs another 10, I'd say it's worth it to not have to deal with the luggage (the Express leaves from the South terminal, so you have to get to there via a shuttle train, then off at Victoria, the length of the platform, outside to the taxi stand). I stayed at a hotel within walking distance of Victoria, so I didn't have to deal with the cab thing. When 6 of us went to London, the car/driver thing was about 60 and worth it, financially and emotionally! And we used the service Lesli referenced.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 04:01 PM
Lesli

to the top for Janette.