Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is There Really a Star Wars Castle in Caserta ?

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:18 PM
nancy

A woman who posted originally in 1999 asked if it was possible to go to The Star Wars Castle in Caserta and Pompeii in a day.
My questionis;
Did they really use a castle from that area in Star Wars?
We are planning a daytrip to Caserta anyway, and I know my pre-teen/teen children would enjoy having that identified to them.
Anyone know about this?
Any info ,of course, is greatly appreciated!
nancy

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:37 PM
howard

It's really a palace, not a castle, but yes, it was used in the latest Star Wars movie and it is located is Casserta. It was Victor Emanuel II's palace. It's a magnificent building. Check out the visiting hours when you go. When we went last November, we decided to have lunch first before touring the palace. Unfortunately, it closed at 2, so we never got inside. P.S.: The lunch was great. (Sorry, don't remember the name of the place. We went into a little grocery store to ask for a recommendation, and we ended up at this delightful small, family-owned place, where we were the only non-locals there. You might try the same approach.)

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:39 PM
howard

P.S.: Yes, you can do Casserta and Pompeii in one day. We did.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:45 PM
xxxx xxxxxxx

Nancy-
There is a former royal palace in Caserta that was used as a model/inspiration for the royal palace of the planet Naboo that figured into the story line of the most recent Star Wars movie. It was used for some exterior shots and one or two interiors. The palace is one of those big frothy designs that owe a debt to Versailles. It was built by the former royal family of Italy following the political reunification of that country in the nineteenth century. The area around Caserta is very beautiful-enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:54 AM
nancy

Thank you Howard and Many XX'S,
We will indeed check out the hours when we go there.
I have read about the palace, but did not know it was used for this movie!

While it is good to know one can do Caserta and Pompeii in a day, we are making these two separate day trips.
We will be in Italy 18 days, 8 days in Rome,8 days in the Gaeta area area,(then back to Romefor flight) so we will have plenty of time to do leisurely daytrips.
Again,thanks for the replies.
nancy