Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there much to do in Nice, France for a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 02:15 PM
susan

Is there much to do in Nice, France for a week? I will be there late january flying from PAris. I am into drives, walking around shops and enjoying nice sceneries.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:09 PM
Mary

We usually fly into Nice in January. We will spend a day or so there, then move on to explore. I think a week in January in Nice is too long (many restaurants/shops are closed). You are close enough to head to Italy, or an hour or so to the mountains if you like to ski. Nonetheless, it is still a great place to be in the winter. Hope this helps.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 07:02 PM
Christina

I imagine you'd get a little bored just within Nice itself for a week, especially in January, but there are plenty of places nearby to drive or take the train. I don't think of Nice as a shopper's paradise myself, the city isn't what I'd call cutting edge or fashionable; in fact, it seemed a bit dowdy to me (and is rather conservative). I would think you could entertain yourself in Nice 2-3 days. But there are plenty of places quite nearby--Monaco, Antibes, Cassis, Vence, Cannes, etc., as well as Italy (but I haven't been in that direction). I don't know what these would be like in January, though, I suspect some beach resort town wouldn't be that interesting (like Cannes or St-Tropez), or a place like Grasse (which I didn't find even that interesting in nicer weather).

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 08:58 PM
Lulu

Nice, the capitol of the riviera. It has 17 museums, most free.The one lively town in winter. Vieux Nice unspoiled. The food, a wonderful mix of French and Italian The markets are delightful and watch how people get their wine flowing into their bottles at the local shop. Nice is nice and not boring and it does have all the major designer shops.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
mimi taylor

another vote for Nice. Vieux is brimful with cafes, bistros,designer boutiques and galleries and stll no name working men's bars that makes this area energentic. Tall, steep palazzi with 17th and 18th century portals and windows, the narrow streets suddenly opening up into tiny squares, each with it's own chapel. For the ols Nicois are amoung the most religious people on the coast. Be sure to stop at Alziari, 14 Rue St-Francis-de-Paule and buy a can of their Olive oil, considered one of the best in the world. Nice is nice for nibblers, try the famous pissaladiere, a pungent kind of pizza. Salase nicoice in bread is called pan-bagnet, try Socca, a kind of thin cake made of groung chick peas, the Fougasse, another flat bread made with bacon bits and sanswiches called "porchetta"roast suckling pig.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
Ellen

Other easy to do day trips are Eze Village, the Rothschild Estate in Cap St. Jean and many places on the Italian Riviera.