Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is There Intelligent Life Outside of Fodors? What Other Travel Board Do You Frequent?

Is There Intelligent Life Outside of Fodors? What Other Travel Board Do You Frequent?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:06 PM
Spanky

Just wondering what other travel boards others visit ... anything else worth an addiction?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Danna

Spanky.

I check out Lonely Planet Thorn Tree. It's quite a bit "coarser" and not as pleasant, certainly not addicting. I do like exchanging info there, but the community doesn't seem as fun.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:32 PM
Tina

I think the Fodor's Forum is unique -- with its' high volume of traffic together with a core group of regulars. And demographics of the contributors appear to comprise an age range from mid-twenties on up.

I've browsed thru a few other sites, but nothing's hooked me in like this particular venue.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:43 PM
Alec

I also look up regularly the usenet newsgroup rec.travel.europe. They too have regulars (some cross-posting on this site) and around 60 new messages a day. Posters are more international, replies are often given by native European contributers.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:21 PM
nancy

You mean there are other travel sites?
A life beyond Fodor's?!!
Tried one once, didn't enjoy it, and as it is I spend too much time on this site.
Plus, I can get it all here,
Information, laughs,and criticism.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:24 PM
SharonM

Well Spanky,
I sure hope there's intelligent life outside of Fodors, because life in here has become a little questionable lately...

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:19 PM
the americonos

barcelona sucked!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:00 PM
Mary C

I've recently started visiting the travel boards (including Rick Steves' Europe throught the Back Door), but have not felt the urge to leave a response until I came to this one. Don't get me wrong ETBD has great info, but this place seems a lot more interesting, clever, fun, intellectual. People here seem to have the same travel jones that I have. And it's fabulous. I only started leaving messages today and I've gotten SOO many responses from great interesting kind people. I am totally addicted!!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 11:39 PM
gar

try www.virtualtoursit.com, they have a nice site too. Or the yahoo travel-clubs, they are very specific, but there YOu find less traffic and lot of ads.
have fun
Gar

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Maira

PC Magazine (highly respected computer magazine) just listed Fodors as the NUMBER ONE travel site on their annual 100 Best Websites List. I have no reason to go someplace else.

If you are curious which other travel sites made The List, I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:18 AM
xxx

Here is the list Maria mentioned:

Fodors
Book flights via Expedia, buy theater tickets from CultureFinder.com (Web site), and get travelers' takes on restaurants, hotels, and more. Fodor's top-notch guides now cover almost 200 destinations.
www.fodors.com

Travelocity
Travelocity's slick interface, savvy tools, and integration with the Sabre computerized reservation system have made it a favorite. The site's been beefing up, too: Itineraries can be e-mailed to other travelers, who can add comments or book a trip themselves; you can even reserve flights from a phone.
www.travelocity.com

Biztravel.com
Mileage program tracking and automatic upgrades cater to frequent travelers.
www.biztravel.com

Expedia
Travel resources galore here -- and don't skip the money-saving Fare Calendar.
www.expedia.com

iExplore
Base camp for adventurers: Find and book your next safari or rafting trip here.
www.iexplore.com

Lonely Planet
Message boards tell you where to go and where not to go. Check out the travel advisories, too.
www.lonelyplanet.com

MapBlast!
Create a map, get directions, and download it all to a hand-held. Check traffic here, too.
www.mapblast.com

Site59.com
Book last-minute travel without spending your last dollar. Or get recommendations for local, often offbeat activities.
www.site59.com

Smarter Living
Savvy travelers fly right (and cheap) thanks to weekly e-mail specials.
www.smarterliving.com

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:20 AM
xxx

Here is the list Maria mentioned:

Fodors
Book flights via Expedia, buy theater tickets from CultureFinder.com (Web site), and get travelers' takes on restaurants, hotels, and more. Fodor's top-notch guides now cover almost 200 destinations.
www.fodors.com

Travelocity
Travelocity's slick interface, savvy tools, and integration with the Sabre computerized reservation system have made it a favorite. The site's been beefing up, too: Itineraries can be e-mailed to other travelers, who can add comments or book a trip themselves; you can even reserve flights from a phone.
www.travelocity.com

Biztravel.com
Mileage program tracking and automatic upgrades cater to frequent travelers.
www.biztravel.com

Expedia
Travel resources galore here -- and don't skip the money-saving Fare Calendar.
www.expedia.com

iExplore
Base camp for adventurers: Find and book your next safari or rafting trip here.
www.iexplore.com

Lonely Planet
Message boards tell you where to go and where not to go. Check out the travel advisories, too.
www.lonelyplanet.com

MapBlast!
Create a map, get directions, and download it all to a hand-held. Check traffic here, too.
www.mapblast.com

Site59.com
Book last-minute travel without spending your last dollar. Or get recommendations for local, often offbeat activities.
www.site59.com

Smarter Living
Savvy travelers fly right (and cheap) thanks to weekly e-mail specials.
www.smarterliving.com

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Marc David Miller

www.timeout.com has great information for selected cities (as well as good guide books). If I had to rely on one travel web site and guide book (to the selected cities) this would be my choice.

rec.travel.europe for general European travel information

www.inyourpocket.com for Eastern European (but not Russia)

www.frommers.com (not much traffic)

AOL's travel boards are pretty good

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Jessyca

I love this site too. I'm addicted to the site and addicted to traveling. I've met some new friends from this site. Jcat

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 09:37 AM
guy

Highly recommend theonion.com for the purpose of keeping satire front and center in all of our lives.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Marc David Miller

Also

www.nytimes.com

for their travel section archives (no fee, just registration).

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:56 AM
JimRose

It's not really a "message board" per se, but www.igougo.com is a site where travelers post their journals according to a presribed format. I use it as a disclipined repository for the names, addresses, phone numbers of places we've stayed, etc. and so it is handy for me, as well as whatever value others gain from reading the info/reactions that I leave. Photos can also be posted. It's kind of fun and I would imagine some of the Fodorites here have extensive journal collections there. Also, there is a message center for people to exchange messages within the site. If you want to meet travel addicts, this is another place!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Maira

XXX, thank you for posting the sites. They are all worth checking. I would had add TISS.com, but they are all excellent.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Ursula

ForParis I happened to go to:
bparis.com
discussion board. Karen gives very good advice on hotels, restaurants and general infos. But it not that lively.
Up to now, I have not discovered a good travel board in German. Any ideas??

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 01:21 AM
ldsant

I visit Flyertalk.com - good for learning about mileage programs, bonuses, etc. I've made some friends from that site which is always fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information