Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is there enough to do in Dublin? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-there-enough-to-do-in-dublin-831109/)

EDA3 Mar 15th, 2010 02:36 PM

Is there enough to do in Dublin?

My husband and I have 5 days in June to travel without our 3 young kids. We are all over the map. We started out thinking London or Dublin then changed our tune to a tropical vacation. I'm tired of trying to find a topical location that fits what I am looking for so am back to Europe. I guess my question is if we arrive on a Wednesday morning on our flight from NY and don't rent a car, will we have enough things to do in Dublin to fill 4 days? We will leave Sunday morning to head back to the states. Ideally I'd love to be there longer and rent a car and drive all over the country, but we don't have that kind of time. We love historical things, museums & pubs! Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Viajero2 Mar 15th, 2010 03:58 PM

Honestly, Dublin in June for 4 days would not be anywhere near the top of the list for a family vacation that includes 3 young kids. I loved Dublin, but I have a hard time grasping the concept that you picked Dublin over a Caribbean beach for a summer vacation.....with 3 young kids. I think you ought to be asking THEM how would THEY like to spend it...sure you mention historical things, museums, and pubs, but....what do the 3 young ones like?????

yestravel Mar 15th, 2010 04:05 PM

I understood that u r not taking your 3 kids, right? We went to Dublin for 5 days and had plenty to do. Really nice city and people. We conisdered taking the bus or train out of town for a day, but never did, there was plenty to occupy us in Dublin proper.

nytraveler Mar 15th, 2010 05:15 PM

For 4 days I would do London versus Dublin,. I think adults would enjoy Dublin for that time - but kids would find a lot more to do in London.

alcook2 Mar 15th, 2010 05:38 PM

We had the same concerns prior to our trip to Dublin last month. Only 3 days there but guess that 5-6 days could easily be filled. Much better destination than we expected.
Beautiful city. Wonderful people. Don't miss Trinity College and the Book of Kells.

We took an easy day train trip to Kilkenny and enjoyed it very much!

But if you haven't been to London or Paris I'd do those first...

EDA3 Mar 15th, 2010 06:12 PM

We are lucky enough to be going without our kids this trip. Family vacation will be in November or December this year. I've been to France several times although my husband has not. Ireland holds special interest for us and I am half Irish, so it's a trip I've always wanted to take. We thought it would be fun to have a real Dublin experience without the kids. So, just trying to decide between London or Dublin. I've looked into both. I know we will have no shortage of things to do in London for the time we have allotted, just wondered about Dublin. Thanks for your input, it's helpful.

jaja Mar 15th, 2010 07:43 PM

Plenty of things for adults to enjoy in Dublin, and you can also do day trips to Glendalough, Newgrange, etc.

Either way, have a great time!

Viajero2 Mar 16th, 2010 07:55 AM

I totally misunderstood-- arghhhhh! NO kids; HAVE A FAB TRIP!

nytraveler Mar 16th, 2010 09:12 AM

Dubline has plenty for adults to do - don;t miss the theater (try for something by an Irish playwright) even withuot day trips - of which there are several good ones. Be sure to get ahotel center city so you can walk everywhere - the major sights are in a fairly small area.