Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there anything to do in Genoa by the port?

Jul 9th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

We stop in Genoa for 6 hours on our cruise. What can I do there? Are the sites within walking distance of the port? What transportation options are there?
Jul 9th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Ahhh ! Taormina, the Ligurian coast, the Cote d'Azur--what fantastic places to visit. But you need several days at each--6 hours will not even give you a good start. I am always amazed that people think you can experience Italy and the Med coast from a cruise ship. It is a shame your ship does not stop at Portofino or Portovenere rather than Genoa. If you must, catch the local train down to Camogli for 2 hours.
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:31 AM

We were bussed in and out of Genoa to catch our cruise ship, and it didn't look like there was anything within walking distance.

Here's what I would do. Check out what kind of shore excursions the ship was offering, then hop in a taxi and go on your own. Or, catch a taxi and go to the downtown area for shopping, or to spend a few hours at the beach. It shouldn't cost you more than 20 euro for a group (4) of you to go somewhere.

1979 was the last time I actually visited Genoa on a Navy ship, and I can remember the beaches were really nice. It is part of the Italian Riveria.

Enjoy!!
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Genoa, Italy's largest commercial port, magnificent Renaissance palaces. Genoa is the birthplace of Christopher Columbus, a it's the home of Europe's largest aquarium.
Jul 9th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Several years ago I spent a wonderful day trip in Genova, I didnt want to leave! There is a lot of interesting architecture, art inside churches, fascinating streets to wander through. Not to mention the food! Dont know what time of year you're going, but in winter there was an ice rink at the port. Not your typical thing to do, but I thought I'd mention it since I was sorry I didn't bring my skates along!
p.s. Does your cruise offer excursions?
Jul 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM

Greetings: I spent 2 full days in Genoa a couple of years ago waiting for my Cunard cruise to begin. I would not say there is tons to do -- and I was frankly underwhelmed by the acquarium on my visit there -- but you could certainly catch a taxi from the port -- not a long distance -- up to the statue of Christopher Columbus, then walk from there down through the cobbled street that take you down to and through the main shopping area of the city. The architecture of the university buildings which are adjacent to the shopping area, is quite lovely and on a good day a lesiurely walk of a couple of hours, with a cafe stop or two, would be a very pleasant way to spend your time.

Lanny
Jul 9th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Ken

We have family in Genoa and have visited many times. No need to leave the area with only 6 hours there. Depending on which dock you tie up to in the port, the old city is virtually across the street. Your interests should dictate whether you visit some palaces (San Giorgio, Bianco, Rosso, Spinola, etc), the cathedral of San Lorenzo and/or wander through the narrow midieval streets looking in the small shops where the Genovese actually shop. Be sure to have a piece of the local focccaia as it is a unique specialty of Genoa. Don't forget to look up at the old buildings as a lot of artwork exists above street level. Skip the aquarium. Be aware that not much English is spoken in Genoa because it is not on the tourist map but the locals try to be helpful. Great seafood and pesto! If you have more questions I will try to help.
Jul 9th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Ken

Sorry for my misspellings. It is foccacia.