Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there any comparison between Italy & California's Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:16 PM
xx

Obviously, the architecture is different, but some of the photos bear some similarity. Just curious how they compare in person.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Susan

Funny you should ask because I had a friend visiting me in N. California from England, who kept asking why we would want to go to Italy and Spain because the scenery here to her was more spectacular. I had to admit that in places they are similar, but even though Carmel Valley may look similar to parts of Tuscany for example, it just doesn't have the history, the culture, or architecture. To me Itlay just is different.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Susan

They are both beautiful. In diff. ways. The coast between SF and up past Trinidad is gorgeous. I'm a native Calif. who never tires of the beauty. I recommend Tourists venture up beyond Napa Valley on HWY 1. However the Amalfi coast is also spectacular and I know my love for it also has to do w/ the novelty and foreign-ness.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:24 PM
susan

PS But they're still very different. Maybe N. Calif is more "Irish". Hope someone else more inclined to descriptions.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:57 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I have used the CA/Italy analogy many times. Napa is Tuscany, Big Sur is the Cinque Terre, Portovenere is Carmel, Lake Tahoe is Lago Como, Santa Barbara is Santa Margherita, but Venice is not Venice. You get the idea.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Rex

Or alternatively, the Corniche de l'Esterel (in France, not in Italy) is Big Sur.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Helena

I'm from CA and I do not think there is any comparison to Italy! Italy is much more scenic specifically the architecture and just the natural beauty even in the cities. I think it has to do with the history also. <BR><BR>I agree highway 1 is beautiful but I won't say it's comparable to the Amalfi coast.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Californian

Geographically, California and Italy are very similar. Agriculturally they are similar. Historically they are different, but gee... Italy does have a couple of thousand years of civilization on California.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:24 PM
StCirq

I lived in Southern California on the coast for two years many years ago and I can't think of a single thing that would unite Italy and the So. Cal. coast except warm weather and water. Perhaps the northern part of California, but there is no cultural, geographical, or other tie I can think of except perhaps that perhaps today (unlike when I lived there) you can get great local seafood and wine in local restaurants. But really, no, there's no comparison. I mean, you can't close your eyes and think of Southern California and tell yourself "I'm seeing Italy." No way.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:05 PM
xx

Interesting replies. Thank you!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Joanne

I live in the SF Bay Area and yes there are similarities. That's why so many Southern Italians in particular settled here, including my father-in-law. No, it's not Italy but it is close in terms of weather, agriculture, the ocean, etc.<BR><BR>We too love Italy, but there is no doubt there are comparisons.<BR><BR>j

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:23 PM
cathy

It's so funny that you asked this question. We live in Northern California and just returned from Italy. Today we were at the beach, having lunch in a restaurant overlooking the ocean, and I asked my husband what he would have thought if we saw the same scenery in Italy. He said it would have knocked us out. We also were looking at the hillsides near our home, and remarking how closely they resemble the views in Tuscany. We feel very lucky to live where we do!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Nancy

Yes, the land itself is very much like California. Tuscany is like the area around Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo and also around Red Bluff. The coast is similiar also.