Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there an Angelina’s inside of Galeries Lafayette?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Some of the info on line says it’s on the 1st floor of the Haussmann location in the dome.
Any suggestions on which area so we are not walking in circles.
Can you reserve for lunch?
I’ve been to GL several times but never noticed it, probably because I wasn’t looking for it.
We would want to leave by the door where Sephora is across the street.

Any help is much appreciated
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:18 AM

I presume you have looked at the website: https://haussmann.galerieslafayette.com/en/angelina-13/

It is something for which I will never look.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP's question, yes. I can't remember exactly where is is but there is a section with places to eat and it's there. You can find a map of the store on the internet. They had an app I downloaded on my phone to find my way around. I was there two years ago and had not been there for 10 years so things had changed.

I wish I had time right now to be more helpful, I'm sorry,. but if you go to their website you can get a list of all the eating places, their hours, menus, and probably whether or not you can reserve. I'm going to guess that you can't reserve in the department store branch, but.....just guessing.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 08:43 AM

I ate lunch in there once, I think. Being in a dept store, it's not quite the same ambience as a real restaurant, I guess, but probably doesn't matter much. I don't like hot chocolate anyway, but think theirs is awful, but either I was in there and wanted lunch or something, or figured I had to give it a try since you heard about it so much. I should have known better, I just am not a big sweet eater anyway, but theirs is like they just melted chocolate in a cup. That isn't a beverage to me. They have other stuff, of course. I can't even remember the last time I drank hot chocolate in my entire life, it's just not something I like.

Their menu is not very extensive, a warning. It isn't really an ideal place for lunch, they only have a couple items. I wouldn't bother myself, I think a better lunch would be one of their other restaurants or that cafeteria type place.

you can reserve but only by phone, I believe
01 73 71 92 54
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 09:11 AM

I would hope that the hot chocolate is better, and the servers less obnoxious, at the GL location, but that's probably asking too much. But yes, check the website.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I can tell you where the loo is. That was a trip to find.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 11:09 AM

The loo at Angelina’s on Rue de Rivoli is the best thing about the place.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 11:33 AM

Don't be surprised if the sign changes on Angelina some day, because it is owned by the same person who owns Burger King France, Quick, Hippopotamus and Brasserie Lipp, among other places.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 02:03 PM

Well, that explains a lot.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 02:33 PM

Well it certainly explains why their hot chocolate tastes like someone plopped two Hershey bars in a coffee cup and put it in the microwave.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! Angelina’s doesn’t sound good at all. I wonder why so many people go there.
Moving on to my next idea........
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 03:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Angelina's is fine. Angelina's is a classic experience in Paris. I've not been to the one in the Galeries Lafayette, but there's certainly absolutely nothing wrong with the store or the luxury goods they sell inside. A Fodorite who moved to Paris full-time posted lovely photos of her visit to the restaurant with her granddaughter. I've been there as well. Re their distinctive hot chocoloate, it is very different from hot chocolate you'll have elsewhere. Some people may like it. Some may not, but the success of the restaurant/ brand has lasted for well over 100 years. Serendipity in NYC comes to mind. The menu item that an entire brand is known for may have fans and people who are not fans. I'd keep that in mind. I don't understand the claim that something is wrong with Angelina's because investors own other stores / brands. If anyone expects Angelina's signage to change and for it to start serving Quick burgers, then ..... well, I really don't have any words for that. That's not how business and business investments work. Go, not go, but please don't decide to cross Angelina's off your list because of the comments here. I would widen your search for reviews/ opinions of Angelina's. I didn't realize there was on in GL but GL is one of my stops when I'm in Paris and thanks to your thread I now know I can stop there for some hot chocolate and/or some of their delicious treats. I'll see if I can find some of my photos of the store and dessert display case. Truly gorgous and delicious!

Here are about 10,000 reviews that give a wider range of opinions than the very negative ones given here -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...de_France.html

Last edited by starrs; Sep 6th, 2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by TPAYT
Yikes! Angelina’s doesn’t sound good at all. I wonder why so many people go there.
Moving on to my next idea........
Because it is not a bad place to eat. Yes the hot chocolate is rich but once a year I enjoy having it. I am looking forward to going there next month.
The wait staff has always been nice to us despite our not so good French.

Well said Starr!
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:17 AM

I am not a big fan of Angelina’s but the hot chocolate neither tastes like St Cirq’s description, nor is there any resemblance to Burger King. For the record, my objection is not that the food was bad—I just found it hilariously overpriced. It was a lovely place to have lunch, though. (The main Angelina’s, that is).

There is, I’m sure, better hot chocolate in Paris. But I don’t see how you can go wrong with hot chocolate in Galeries Lafayette, and while you are there, pick up a few macarons from the Pierre Hermès counter. Again, I am sure there are better macarons in Paris, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worth trying for yourself.

(I do like drinking chocolate, though I like it darker than Angelina’s does it. If you’ve never had it, it’s very possible you won’t like it regardless of who makes it).
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 04:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never had the chocolate there only because I am a coffee person. I just love going to GL for the people watching and at Christmas it was magical. It is just so huge. My niece loved it though on her trip. She is a culinary instructor so trust her opinion. Try it TPAYT, you might love it.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

It seemed like a place my friends might like for a light lunch or maybe just a sweet & coffee.
I’m not a hot chocolate fan but the desserts looked good and it’s a place they might have heard of.

I appreciate the various comments. I think we’ll give it a try. I’ll definitely post a TR when I return.

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 05:39 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you know about the Glasswalk?
https://haussmann.galerieslafayette....le-experience/
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestion starrs. I’m not good with heights so just watched as my husband walked on it last Dec. but I will see if my friends would like to try it.

I was also also wondering if the rooftop views from GL are worth a go. Haven't been up there.

We are going to a tour of Opera Garnier at 11am so that’s why I thought a walk over to GL after that would be nice.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 06:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been to Angelina’s only once, not the one in Galeries Lafayette though. I liked the hot chocolate, but I like hot chocolate a lot and it’s a treat I don’t often allow myself. I don’t know why a person who doesn’t like hot chocolate in the first place would order it, but it’s not a surprise that she didn’t like this version.

My problem with the restaurant was not the food. It was very crowded, we had waited in line to be seated before they opened up a new section and the line vanished. The waiter was extremely rushed and put down an omelet on the table in front of my friend and walked away without noticing the plate was slipping into my friend’s lap. Quick reflexes meant she avoided dropping the omelet, it stayed on the plate in a somewhat altered form, and she decided it was easier to laugh about the incident and eat the omelet than to complain.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 12:47 AM

If you decide to go to Angelina’s on Rue de Rivoli, book on the fork and skip the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -