Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is there a Website to find a House Sitter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-there-a-website-to-find-a-house-sitter-216864/)

Marcie May 8th, 2002 05:19 AM

Is there a Website to find a House Sitter?

Hubby and I are traveling in August and don't know where to begin to<BR> find a house sitter. Are there So. Cal publications(maybe through large Pet<BR> stores, colleges, travel agents)? Are there some USA/European web sites?<BR> Don't know where to begin as I've never done this before. What has your<BR> experience been? Did you get references or ask for a refundable security<BR> deposit? I know there are web sites for house exchanges but I've never heard of<BR> any for finding a house sitter. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where to<BR> begin. Thanks, Marcie

Betty May 8th, 2002 06:33 AM

I have never used this service but here's a website I ran across a few months back.<BR><BR>http://www.housecarers.com/<BR><BR>Good luck!

bobbie May 8th, 2002 06:37 AM

My experience was having my dog walker stay at our house while we were away and of course we paid her. I also have a friend who had one of her daughter's teachers stay at her house so in both cases we knew the persons. Word of mouth seems the safest way to go.

Mavis May 8th, 2002 01:26 PM

Would be interested in knowing if anyone has housesat for someone off housesitters.com or hired someone?

Suzy May 8th, 2002 01:40 PM

I'd stick with word of mouth. For a month in the summer, you can probably find a college student who's home for the summer but would rather have some privacy. Ask co-workers and neighbors if there's anyone they'd recommend.<BR><BR>Some home exchange sites, including HomeLink, cover a version of exchanging called non-simultaneous exchanges, where a family comes and stays in your house, and then at some other time you go and stay in theirs. Very popular with upper-middle-class families who have two homes. You could end up with a month to spend at somebody's vacation home next time you travel. So Cal. is a very popular destination wtih European exchangers.

Marcie May 8th, 2002 03:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. Actually, we'll only be gone for 10 or 11 days in mid August,not the whole month. I will explore all of these options. Thanks so much! Marcie

Helen May 8th, 2002 03:50 PM

I just looked at housesitters.com (daughter is having a similar situation as yourself) and it is very expensive to have someone stay over in your home for a week! I think there are so many families that would love to vacation in Southern California and it would be a treat for them to have a free place to stay for a week or so. Feeding your dog (or cat) once a day would be a small trade off. This sounds perfect for young couple or college students who would consider it their treat. Just get some type of reference and a security deposit for any damage or excessive phone usage etc. Forty years ago I would have jumped at such a chance.Good luck. Helen

Pam May 8th, 2002 03:57 PM

Just be sure to do a background check on the people though. I dont think I would want a complete stranger from an agency in my home, with all my ID's, credit records, etc. right there! Think it over.

Liz May 11th, 2002 09:45 PM

Hey I have an idea what about a Property Management company? I am sure that there are some that would help out...for a fee.

HouseSitter May 13th, 2002 05:38 AM

Unless you are a very trusting person unafraid of losing your possessions, be very careful with turning your home and pets over to strangers. Even the nicest homes have quirks that are merely a nuisance to the residents, but which can understandably upset a housesitter. Sticky oven knobs, leaky drains and things residents tolerate can upset a housesitter, who might call the gas company or plumber and generate afterhours repair bills that are the homeowner's responsibility. We make it well worth our housesitter's while to stay here: we pay her $300 a week tax-free cash to live at our house, care for our dog and cat, collect mail and answer the telephone. If that sounds like a lot, dog boarding costs $30 a night here and it's another $15 a night for the cat at a kennel. <BR><BR>When the house sitter started, we had one "test" night when she slept in the guest room while we slept in our room. We leave a current, updated printed guide for her and give her the freedom to do whatever she thinks is necessary to keep the house secure and safe. She knows that if she trips the security alarm and police are called for a false alarm, our city charges us for those calls, so she's extra careful about this. <BR>Our housesitter is the same person who cleans our house once a week and we trust her with keys and security service passwords. If you can imagine opening your house in this way, you might ask your friends if they know of a housekeeper or responsible person who would honor such an arrangement.