Is There A Train Station at Fiumicino Rome Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a train station inside of Fiumicino Airport in Rome that can take up directly to Florence???
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:03 PM

You have to take the Leonardo Express train from the Fiumicino Airport to Roma Termini. From there you transfer to another train that will take you to Florence. Go to the Trenitalia website for schedules and tickets.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought, but my sister-in-law in Florence just phoned and told me that I could take a ES train from FCO to Florence bypassing Termini. I thought that sounded too good to be true. Thanks again for your help!
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I thought there was limited train service from the airport. Maybe not to florence?
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:31 PM
ira

Hi Calamari,

If you go to www.trenitalia.com (Italian version) you will see that there are trains from Roma Aeroporto to Roma Tiburtino as well as to Roma TE.

The ES* trains leave only from Roma TE.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ira. I have had difficulty on the English site so now I will try the Italian version. DH is nervous about going to Termini at night with the kids. I think we should just stick to plan A and take a car to Del Senato for one night at least and then catch a train the next day for SMN. Info from my SIL is not at all reliable. She only leaves Florence once a year.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
ira

Good idea,

Spend 2 nights at least in Rome.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira - I agree. We will also be spending five more nights in Rome at the end of the trip. We fly out of FCO.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Just learned that the Leonardo Express leaves FCO airport and drops you off somewhere in the direction of the Termini station. Read on another post that it is far from the main station and not well indicated. Good to know since we will be arriving at night with two children and luggage.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:45 AM

"You have to take the Leonardo Express train from the Fiumicino Airport to Roma Termini."

This is incorrect. You can take a train direct from FCO to Florence, but you must change, I think in Chiusi. In theory, it will take a bit longer. I doubt that the trains are ES, but there is a lot to be said for avoiding the mess of Termini.

PS I was the person who commented on the difficulties of getting from the Leonardo Express to the main station. Apart from the the distance, there are no signs. You get off the train and are confronted with 3 options. There are two sets of steps going down below and exit sign. To the right, there is is a walkway which apparently leads to more tracks and platforms. There is no sign for the main station.

The correct route is to the right where the platforms lie. (In fact, there is a notation in small print on a sign that says that this is the route to the main station, but you have to be 3 feet away to read it). After you have gone a whilew, there is a sign that points left and says "tickets." This is not the main station either. Ignore it and continue on. Eventually you will run into the main station. The lines there are horrendous. Buy your ticket from the machines. It's fairly esay.

One last note. We bought our ticket from Termini to Florence on the internet. Big mistake. We arrived earlier than expected so we could have taken an earlier train. But you must stand in the long line to change a ticket that you already bought. If we had just shown upand bought a ticket from the machine for the next train, we would have saved ourselves a lot of time and trouble.

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Calamari, With kids and 4 people forget the train to termini. Contact this service www.airportshuttle.it and take them to your hotel for the same cost as 4 tickets. Or, take the shuttle to termini and then train to Florence--much easier.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:40 PM

crozier: According to trenitalia.com your only option on an FC0-Florence journey is thru a Rome connection. Regards, Walter
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:47 PM

"Message: crozier: According to trenitalia.com your only option on an FC0-Florence journey is thru a Rome connection. Regards, Walter"

Try looking at FCO->Chiusi and then Chiusi->Florence. It can be done.

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM
ira

Hi Calamari,

Follow Bob's advice.

Train will be about 37E. Cab about 45E.

FYI, The train from FCO arrives on the far side of the Roma TE station. You descend from the train and turn left to get to the head of the tracks. It is about a 10 min walk with luggage.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM

"Try looking at FCO->Chiusi and then Chiusi->Florence. It can be done."

Still shows a connection thru Rome . Either at Termini or Tiburtina. Regards, Walter
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:20 AM

I'm a bit confused after reading "crozier" and "ira" accounting of how to get from one train to the next...is it left or right when you get off the airport train? I do not want to take my Mom in the wrong direction after an already long flight from the states.

As an aside, is there bus service that runs directly from FCO to Florence?

Thanks again for everyone's contribution here!

Old May 21st, 2004, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi rah,

Go here for a map of Roma TE

http://www.romatermini.it/indexf.cfm

The Leonardo da Vinci express comes in on Track (binaro) 25 or 26. You want to walk to the head of the tracks in the same direction that the train was going when it came into the station.

I have no info on buses from FCO to Florence.

Alternatives are to fly into Florence and take the bus or cab into the city or to fly into Pisa and take the train from the airport into Florence (about 1 hr).