Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is there a train from Italy to Switzerland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-there-a-train-from-italy-to-switzerland-157476/)

Tracie Aug 7th, 2001 06:30 PM

Is there a train from Italy to Switzerland?

I will be in Milan the last week of October and I am wondering if there is a train from Milan that will take me into Switzerland. Any details and advise regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Aug 7th, 2001 06:38 PM

Of course Tracie---dozens everyday. <BR>I would suggest going to beautiful Lugano--about 1:15 from Milan. Plan to spend some time there on the lake.

Katherine Aug 7th, 2001 06:58 PM

The train from Milan to Bern is the most beautiful train ride I've ever taken.

Tracie Aug 8th, 2001 04:32 AM

Thanks very much for the fast reply! I'll look into both of those places!

Bob Brown Aug 8th, 2001 08:19 AM

The best travel time from Milan to Bern is a little less than 4 hours. The route takes you through the Simplon Tunnel to Brig, Switzerland, and then along the Rhone to Goppenstein where you go through the Lötschberg Tunnel to Kandersteg and then on to Bern. <BR>You do indeed pass near some pretty scenery. If you are really interested in seeing the high peaks of Switzerland, the closest place close to your route is <BR>Zermatt. There are also some high peaks around Kandersteg, too. If you have time, the chair lift to the Öeschinensee takes you to a very spectacular mountain lake. After Kandersteg the terrain starts to flatten out. <BR>The route takes you through Spiez as well which is on a very nice lake. <BR>Interlaken is to your east, a few kilometers away and easily reachable by train. <BR>

xxxx Aug 8th, 2001 12:15 PM

Hi Tracie, <BR> <BR>I'll be going from Milan to Geneva next week, I'll let you know how I made out it's supposed to be a very comfortable ride.

nancy Aug 8th, 2001 12:33 PM

There is also a train ,, called the <BR>Bernina Express. <BR>Goes from northeastern italy -northeastern switzeerland. <BR>National Geographic Travelr did an article on it last year. <BR>Sounds lovely. <BR> <BR>Bob, <BR>you said there a "dozens everyday" <BR>Where could one find such info? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Ursula Aug 8th, 2001 12:43 PM

Nancy: Go the the timetable of SBB <BR>(Schweizerische Bundesbahnen) at: <BR>www.sbb.ch <BR> <BR>Click English version, then quick search, i.e. Milan-Zurich or any other place.

Mike Aug 9th, 2001 03:11 AM

As well as the Bernina, there is the William Tell Express from Lugano. This goes to Lucerne (partly by boat).

nancy Aug 9th, 2001 04:16 AM

Thanks Ursula for the site. <BR>and the train/boat trip sounds fun too!

jw Aug 9th, 2001 04:47 AM

Hello Tracie, <BR>I have to second Bob-the-Navigator's recommendation for Lugano and its beautiful lake. Gandria and Morcote are enchanting little places to visit by lake boat, and Lugano is a lovely town with lots of day-trip possibilities. If, on the other hand you want to go farther, Lucerne and its lake towns are spectacular as well. (My guess would be about 4 hours from Milan) Any train from Lugano to Lucerne will pass through breathtaking mountains. If you don't want to stay in a city, there's a little place near the bottom of Lucerne's lake called Fluelen. <BR> <BR>You didn't mention how long your visit to Switzerland will be. If it's short, I'd certainly head for Lugano. <BR> <BR>I might mention that there are great contrasts between Lucerne's Switzerland and that of Lugano -- language, architecture, cuisine, and probably climate too in October. So maybe you should think about what shade of Swiss experience you'd like to have. A decision between Lucerne and Lugano is a win/win one in my opinion. jw

Tracie Aug 9th, 2001 05:44 AM

JW, Thanks for the response. I'm really torn between Lugano and Lucerne. I will only be in Switzerland for 2 days and need to be back to Milan for a flight early in the morning so Im worried that Lucerne will be too far. I would like to stay possibly one night in Lucerne and then take the Bernina train (or someother scenic train) from Zurich back to Milan. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Does the train even run the first week of November? Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it! <BR>Tracie

Tom Aug 9th, 2001 06:14 AM

Not sure if you're locked into flying out of Milan....if you're flying on American Airlines, you can do as I did and fly into Milan and out of Zurich.