Is there a good way for someone to find a traveling companion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend (50 something woman) has taken a guided tour to Rome but seems to be ready to branch out to independent travel. I think if she had a traveling companion she would discover the joys of traveling without the "big bus". Is there a way that you can recommend she meet or hook up with a traveling companion who might have similar interests? Someone who isn't Jack the Ripper.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM

The Rick Steve's board has a "travel partners wanted" section on their talk board (called the Graffiti Wall). She should exercise caution, of course, but this would be a good place to start.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM

Here's one post near the top:

"50ish female looking for M/F travel partner, similar age range, for trip to Ireland sometime in '07. Have traveled solo but hate it. Organized tours are too expensive. Prefer moderate accomodations and lots of adventures. Want to find someone compatible and then plan from there. Non-smoker, social drinker, easy-going and flexible."

Further down, there's a woman looking for someone to celebrate her 50th birthday in Paris with her---her husband hates to travel, so she seeks a tavel partner.

That's just in the first 20 or so posts.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks enzian. She lives in Seattle so if the other person is in Seattle (where Rick Steves offices are) she can get to know them before the trip. I'll give her the information.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ouch, I would never consider traveling with a complete stranger. At least on a big bus tour you can kind of be off on your own at times. Just 2 people together as a pair & you're really stuck with each other.

What about some smaller tour groups like Rick Steves or Elderhostel? Where there is an educational focus and much less people together than a typical big bus deal.

What about an organized activity at the other end that she'd be comfortable signing up for alone (like a cooking school or something).

Other than that I'd think perhaps taking a language class or posting interest at a community center or church locally might be possibilities.

It's hard for me to think creatively, because I LOVE traveling solo and would never feel more confident just by having someone (potentially lame) tagging along with me

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM

Another thought--is she physically active? The Seattle Mountaineers run some foreign trips for hiking, skiing etc. Not a "tour"; you meet nice outdoorsy types and get to visit some beautiful scenic places. But you have to be in shape for the activities. Most of the people on these trips are in their 50's and 60's, and many of them are avid travelers.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Or I have friends in the Bay area who do interesting trips thru (I think it's) a Library Society or something. Usually a group of just a dozen people or so.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM

Might want to touch base with Intouchtravel.com also - not so much for traveling companions but for people to get together with once she gets somewhere.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM

I'm feeling kind of sorry now for the 50-year-old woman who has to celebrate her birthday either alone or with a total stranger off a message board because her husband is (apparently) a dink. If MY wife wants to celebrate her 50th in a free-fire zone in Afghanistan, I'm going with her. I mean, Paris: such a hardship, huh?