Reload this Page >

is there a direct overnight sleeper from Naples to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Melinda

I've checked the train posts on this site and also the fs-on-line site, but still can't figure out how to book an overnight sleeper for two in fist class from Naples to Venice without a change in Bologna. Is there such a thing? Should I just wait til I get to Italy to book it?

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM
jahoulih

There is such a train; it leaves Naples at 19:50 and arrives in Venice at 5:55. For some reason you can't book it at the Italian site, but you can at the Swiss site, www.rail.ch.

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Ben Haines

As Jsahoulih says, the sleepers reach Venice at 0555, which is early. Since Italian fares are low per mile, a solution is to stay on board n befd until Pordenone about 0700, pick up a coffee and sandwich there and change to a south-bound train that leaves at 0722, wash and shave on that train, and reach Venice at 0834. For this you'd buy in Naples a day return ticket Venie, Pordenone, Venice. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Melinda

Thanks for the replies. Good ideas. I did try the rail.ch site but they routed me back to trenitalia, which did not offer sleeper reservations, just seats. Any thoughts on what I may have missed there?

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:34 PM
jahoulih

I've noticed that problem on a number of trains that I've checked on the Trenitalia site: The train has sleepers or couchettes, but the Italian site only lets you purchase seats. There's no consistency: I have seen couchettes available for purchase on other trains on the Italian site. Did you fill out that whole long order form at www.rail.ch and then get sent back to Trenitalia? I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure what else to do except to wait until you get to Europe. Maybe Mr. Haines or someone else will have another suggestion.

Old May 30th, 2001, 12:13 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I'm afraid I've nothing to offer, as I book my continental sleepers at Charing Cross station. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:31 AM
DJ

Melinda, <BR> <BR>As an FYI, My husband & I were going to take a train from Venice to Naples (not an overnighter) but found that flying cost only a slight premium above the cost of the train and saved 4 hours. When we purchased our airline tickets to Italy, we combined it with our flight from Venice to Naples. This, in essence, brought the price of the Venice-Naples flight down even further, less than the price of the train ticket. This may not meet your needs at all but may be something to consider.

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:08 PM
Melinda

Flying appeals to me. Is there an internet reservation site that will book a flight that is all inside Italy? <BR>I've had no luck booking trains this way.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:02 AM
DJ

Melinda, <BR>If you have not booked your main flight to Italy, I would give Travelocity a try. If I can remember the procedure correctly go to an advanced screen; you have two options (perhaps more): 1: book your main flight to and from Italy (on whichever airline you prefer) and also your flight from Venice to Naples on Alitalia; or just try 2: booking a flight one way on Alitalia from Venice to Naples to see what the price would be without a combination of your main ticket. I went through a travel agent, but next time I would go directly through the airline. American Airline is the main carrier I used from the US to Italy. If you don't mind possibly paying the travel agent a per ticket service fee, this may be easier (approx $20/ticket). I hope this helps and not confuses.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:17 AM
JO_2

I don't know how feasible it would be for your plans but I have driven from naples to venice several times and THAT is an experience all in itself. The rive is not very long and the greenery and visuals along the way are well worth it, AND it is a sometimes over-looked fact but the roadside Autogrills have some of the best paninos (sandwiches) around!!!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:22 AM
Maria

We just returned from our two weeks in Italy and flew from Palermo to Venice using tickets purchased on www.europebyair.com for $99 per person. I have to admit, I had some reservations after seeing the way Sicilians drive cars, but to my surprise the whole airport/flight/luggage process went very smoothly. Hope this helps!