Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a car ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik and from Split to Ancona or Pescara in late May?

Search

Is there a car ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik and from Split to Ancona or Pescara in late May?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, All,

Grappling with the logistics of an Italy-cum-Croatia trip, plus the French Open, in late May 2007, two couples.

Planning 5 days in AC, (arriving in Rome, driving to AC), then Bari to Dubrovnik/Montenegro, 3 days, then Split/Trojur/Hvar, 3 days.

After that we need to make it to Paris for 2-3 days for the French Open (tennis), then back to the US. It's our friend's 50th b'day trip. He is a serious tennis player and his wife is treating him to this special event. Tennis is DH's sport as well, we are glad to join.

Ideally, we would fly JFK-Rome and Paris-JFK, open jaw, and book Split to Paris separately.

However, I am finding that booking SkyEurope out of Dubrovnik or Split, with the irregular flight schedule may be a greater pain than perhaps ferrying back to Italy and flying from Rome to Paris. But neither schedule seems to be out yet for May...

I am trying to avoid ferrying or driving all the way to Venice, as we have recently been there (again).

We could see Assisi and Orvieto on the way from Ancona to a Rome airport (which I'd love). But if we manage to find a flight from Slpit to Paris that fits our schedule, we can go to Orvieto and Assisi before AC, from Rome, on the first and second day of the trip.

I am also currently debating that with only two bases in Croatia and a decent bus service between them, will a car be a help or a hindrance?

If anyone sees a better way to plan the Croatia-Paris leg or has any information on taking a car from Italy to Croatia and back in late May, it would be much appreciated.

-e
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM
pon

You can check out www.blueline-ferries.com they have car ferries from split to ancona every day i think.

As far as the car goes I would definitly recomen it, but as soon as you get in the city - park it.

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Friends recently returned from having gone to Dubrovnik and planning on taking the Bari ferry - when they got to the dock the sailing had been scrubbed due to poor weather conditions so keep schedule flexible.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM

We took the overnight ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik. It was sort of silly to take our car which then sat at our hotel in Dubrovnik for four days, then we came back the same way.
By the way we booked the ferry through a travel agency in London (although we're in the States). It seemed to be the only way we could do it then -- four years ago.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 07:55 AM

Check out http://www.europebyair.com/efp/cheapflightstoeurope.jsp

They have direct flights from both Dubrovnik and Split to Paris for $99+tax. I used them in September and it worked perfectly.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM

jeff, I'm only finding flights with them that change in Zagreb (going from Dubrovnik to Paris) therefore costing $198 plus tax. Am I doing something wrong? I tried a whole lot of dates.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM

OK, never mind. I guess I'm mis-reading your post above, Jeff. I clicked on your name and found your post where you said you DID go through Zagreb and it did cost you nearly $250 with the taxes. I think the post above makes it sound like it was only $99.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your help,

-e
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Here's a spectacular website:
http://www.jadrolinija.hr

I will travel to Croatia in July, so I haven't experienced this ferry line first hand, yet. If you click on departure and type in a date of travel with departure city, it will tell you where and when the ferries run. I believe they have main service from Venice, Anacona, and Bari to Zadar.

Has your friend thought about a stop at Lago Garda at the tennis resort there? I think it's called Hotel Olivi.

Happy travels,
Sarah
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM

We are going from CDG to Split or Dubrovnik (haven't chosen it yet) this coming September using Europe By Air for $99+. They have a flight to Split on Thursday and DBV on Friday for the $99+ fare. Good Travels!!!