Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a better town for a one-week base than San Ginignano?

Feb 29th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

We're finalizing our itinerary for next September and are asking for advise. Here's our itinerary:
Arrive Rome (Sheraton)and stay 3 nights
Train and bus to Positiano (Hotel Villa
Franco) for 6 nights
6 nights
Side trips to Capri, Ravello, etc
Train to Florence (Sheraton ) stay 3 nights
Pick up car and drive to ????? for a 7
night stay. Side trips to Siena, Pisa,
Chianti, and other small towns
Drive to Assisi (Hotel Umbra)and stay for 3
nights. Side trips to small towns
Drive to Orvieto Locanda Rosati) and stay
for 2 nights
Drop car and train to Rome for departure

I have been trying to get reservations at San Gimigiano at La Locanda Di Quercecchio on the recommendation of friends, but they don't answer Emails, fax or answer the phone. I'm looking for another recommendation. We'd like to be in a fairly central location for
side trips, located in a town (not in country)and hopefully under $100.00. We're looking for local atmosphere more than a swimming pool. Any ideas out there? Thanks for any input or comments
Feb 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Everyone has a size of town they are most comfortable. For San Gim. would be too small for more than one or two nights. But I could easily see staying in Siena for a week.
Feb 29th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I also like Siena, but depending on how big of a town you want, take a look at Castellina-en-chianti, which is beautiful little town north of Siena in the Tuscan countryside. For more info on the chianti region go to www.chiantiturismo.it
South of Siena, I would look at Pienza or Montelpulciano.
Feb 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM

job816 - I couldn't get your link to work.
Feb 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM

We used Siena as our base on our September 2002 trip and found it ideal for that area, partly because of the great, free parking provided by our hotel, Palazzo Ravizza. It was easy to get in and out, which encouraged us to get out and about.

We made easy day trips to San Gimignano, Montepulsiano, Voltera, etc.

We also spent two days at the lovely Hotel Umbra in Assisi, and while we loved Assisi, parking is outside the city walls and comes at a premium, so once we'd found a spot, we were reluctant to risk losing it by taking day trips. I think you'd find the same problem with San Gimignano, and there really isn't enough to see in the town proper to warrant spending a whole lot of time there.
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM

In the late afternoon there is plenty of parking available in the S. G. parking lot because the day trippers have left. We used S. G. for a base for three nights and then stayed in an agriturismo out in the countryside for two nights. For us , that was ideal. We used Siena for a three day base one year and found it to be much harder to go in and out of because of traffic and confusing streets.
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM

What a great trip. As for Tuscany locations, do you have an hour?
Located in a town, for $100, and a centro location in Tuscany will be tough. Look at Il Giglio in Montalcino
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM

We stay at and love la cisterna hotel in the heart of San Gim. Maybe try them. We liked staying in San Gim. because you have the town to yourself before and after the tour buses come.
Feb 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM

We enjoyed a few days and nights in SG, but frankly, I think it might get a bit old driving in and out every day for a week if you can even find a place with parking in town.
This year we're doing a week in Montepulciano -- my favorite part of Tuscany -- the southern part. Look at the following website which a group of four apartments, under 700 euro for the week, has parking in the private garden, and backs up to the main square of Montepulciano -- think of the flag throwing scene in Under the Tuscan Sun. We've rented apt. #3, the one with a private balcony.

http://web.tiscali.it/poggiolo/poggiolo_home.htm

And congratulations on your itinerary -- looks like one of the most throrough and unrushed visits to that wonderful part of Europe!
Feb 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
ira

Hi Rose

You might wish to consider the B&B Peterson (www.bedinflorence.it) in Florence at about 62E/night dbl ensuite.
Feb 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the web site for Poggiolo in in Montepulciano. Although it is a bit farther south than we wanted for exploring the Chianti region, it really looks like what we're looking for. How did you contact them - I didn't see any EMail address. I also loved the apt. with the balcony. nbr 3. Have you stayed there before? Was it recommended to you?

I understand what people are telling us about the parking in San Gimignano. I don't want to be afraid to loose our parking space if we go out for the day.
We do love the idea of staying in a small town for long enough to be considered 'belonging' and not just a day-tripper. And to be able to run out for an ice-cream at 10:00 p.m. if we want.
Hi Mary Fran,
I understood from the people at Hotel Umbra in Assisi, that they have parking provided. They made no mention of a charge or difficulty in finding space. Are we going to be sorry we chose that hotel?
Feb 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM

The people at the Hotel Umbra were the most helpful and charming of any proprietors I've dealt with, so if they tell you they have parking, I'd assume it to be true now. It just wasn't the case when we were there.

I'd e-mail them about it, but don't change your plans even if the parking turns out to be less than ideal, because it really is a special place.
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:41 AM

Hi, Rosebrook. There is a place right on the website to click to email, return to the home page or the second one with the categories on the left and the bottom one is for "mail us".

I found this place right here, highly recommended by a couple of posters who stayed there last year, I think. I got the idea that the place was only turned into apartments in the last year or two.

The place is owned by two sisters who were wonderful in replying to my several emails. The most amazing part was after they confirmed my dates I again asked about deposit, to which they replied that we'd just pay them in cash upon arrival -- no deposit needed -- they hadn't been "stung" yet.

Yes, it is a bit further south, but still only one hour to Siena or about an hour and 15 minutes to Greve in Chianti for example. It is also less than an hour to Orvieto. One thought might be to spend a couple nights in Chianti somewhere after Florence, then do Assisi, then the week in Montepulciano and do Orvieto for a full day from there -- rather than staying in Orvieto. Just a thought. Montepulciano is a great base for some of my favorite towns in Tuscany -- Cortona, Montalcino, Chiusi, Pienza.
Mar 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM

I'd stay in San Gimig for a few nights to explore the N area and Chianti Region, then head S to Montalcino or Pienza. I agree with Patrick that Southern Tuscany is a favorite, just gorgeous!
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your info. I do find the Email (I think) but it is in Italian. I feel really dumb, but can't seem to get the EMail information in English. Do you correspond with them in Italian?