Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the Vila d'Este the best? whats the step below

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:33 AM
mike

I'm going to be spending 4 nights in the Lakes of Northern Italy in early June. My finace has been to the Villa D'este about 10 years ago, and has been raving about it. Is it far and away the best place to stay in the area? I priced out a room overlooking the park for around $650/night.<BR><BR>If it wasn't my honeymoon it would never be a consideration. Please let me know if where else I should consider in the area. <BR><BR>Looking for something spectacular for this leg of the honeymoon, but I'd love to spend about a couple hundred less a night.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>mike

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:43 PM
second place

Hi Mike,<BR> I don't think there will be much argument that the 2nd most spectacular (and expensive) hotel at Lake Como is the Hotel Villa Serbelonni (bad spelling) in Bellagio. Probably couple hundred less a night. Other good news is that the setting--in Bellagio--is light years beyond the locale around Villa d'Este. While the food at Serbolloni is not that great (in the formal dining room) there are plenty of wonderful and romantic restaurants to chose from right outside the gates, short ferry rides away.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Overpriced and not the best location on the Lake. Go further north and choose from among:<BR>Villa Serbelloni--5 star--$350<BR>Hotel Belevedere--high end 3 star--$150<BR>G.H. Tremezzo--on west shore--$200<BR><BR>The best view is the Belvedere.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Dona

Mike -<BR><BR>I probably won't be much help to you but I do think that Villa D'Este is far and away the best hotel in the area - and in fact, in most of Italy. I loved it and it is absolutely memorable.<BR><BR>Friends just back from Serbelloni said that it is a bit shabby these days. Yes the setting is gorgeous and Bellagio is a lovely town - but I would love to be in Villa D'Este for my honeymoon.<BR><BR>Perhaps you want 2 nights in each - to lower the overall cost; Serbelloni first then Villa D'Este.<BR><BR>That being said, I think Lake Como is a wonderful place and any place you choose will be fabulous. Since she's been to Villa D'Este before, perhaps it's time for some new memories at a different hotel.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time, whatever you choose - and congratulations on your wedding.<BR><BR>Dona

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:26 AM
John

Villa d'Este is my favorite hotel in the world, and the service is above and beyond anything else you will find anywhere else on the Lake. It is definitely better and more luxurious than Villa Serbelloni. I have been going there since I was little with my family and it continues to be the only place where I know I can go and absolutely relax.<BR><BR>But if you are not stuck to Lake Como, you should consider Villa Feltrinelli in Garda. I have not been there, but it is the favorite of a few friends of mine. It is a restored mansion - owned by the man who developed Regent Hotels (now owned by Four Seasons) and considered one of the great sticklers for service in the hotel industry. il Duce stayed there, I believe, under house arrest at one point. Check it out at www.villafeltrinelli.com.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Rex

Wow. What a find, John. It appears that this hotel has been little (or never?) mentioned here on this forum.<BR><BR>Regrettably (at least for me) - - you must run with a pretty high rent group of friends. At 700 to 1800 euro per night - - see http://www.villafeltrinelli.com for more info - - this does not appear to be a solution for mike, who was hoping for something a bit less expensive!<BR><BR>but thanks for the fantasy, all the same.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:41 AM
mike

Thanks for your help. Obviously there is a difference of opinion. I'm not sure if the Villa Feltrinelli is the answer, but I'll check it out.<BR><BR>I'm concerned about my surroundings, but from what I've read about the Villa D'Este, it sounds like I could stay there for a month without having to leave, (if I had the budget) But if I wanted to check out the other towns in the area, isn't there very easy access via boat?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 02:31 PM
jo

Mike I'd recommend you go with Bobs suggestion of the Belvedere which is in Bellagio - a fantastic area &amp; the views are to die for! www.belvederebellagio.com

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Dona

Mike -<BR><BR>Yes, getting all around Lake Como is very easy by boat...<BR><BR>Dona

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:46 AM
John

Ok, I posted a response here last night, but it was mysteriously deleted.<BR><BR>Sorry that my recommendation was not exactly what you were looking for. i was not aware of the prices at Villa Feltrinelli and assumed they would be on par with Villa D'Este. <BR><BR>My only recommendation at this point is to consult with Villa d'Este as to packages. June is not yet the high season; I have seen promotions they have had in the past with regard to full board, spa packages, etc. There is a good chance if you check out the hotel's website (www.villadeste.it) or call them directly that you may be able to find something that is a bit better in terms of value. Any package that includes lunches or dinners will definitely lessen the load on your wallet - I have had lunches there in the $100 range, and dinner can be even more expensive. They may also offer packages through Leading HOtels of the World.<BR><BR>Also, be sure to request a room in the original building. The rooms in the Cardinal's building are generally smaller and not as plush.

Old May 15th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belvedere. Great views, beautiful romms, wonderful service. Great location!