Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is the Vatican Garden a must to visit? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-the-vatican-garden-a-must-to-visit-1105865/)

garing May 8th, 2016 05:58 PM

Is the Vatican Garden a must to visit?

We will be in Rome for the 1st time and have scheduled visit to the Vatican Museums. I recently read about the Vatican Gardens & looks very interesting, but you can only do it via guided tours. Any comments please?

Sassafrass May 8th, 2016 06:17 PM

IMHO, the only musts are things you are interested in. Is that particular garden of special interest to you?

I have been to Rome four times, never been to the Vatican Gardens. Saw a good bit of the Vatican Museums the first trip. Have been to the Sistine Chapel three times. I love gardens when I can wander at leisure, but unless there is some unique historical connection or perspective on the designs, I would not want a tour. I have been to great gardens in other places and there are so many places unique only to Rome, that I would rather spend time seeing those.

nytraveler May 8th, 2016 07:12 PM

We did it on one visit since we couldn't get into the Scavi. Found it not very interesting and our guide tried to rush us through.

We actually came across the tiny chapel in which Charlemagne grabbed the crown from the Pope and named himself Holy Roman Emperor in 800. I knew about it from my German history class and saw a sign on the chapel. When I was telling my companion, which took about 3 minutes, the guide complained we were wasting time and hurried us away (the tour finished 15 minutes early).

tuscanlifeedit May 8th, 2016 07:34 PM

We did it. It really wasn't thrilling and I wouldn't do it again.

My family had seen a television program about the gardens that make them seem fascinating. So we booked the tour. I'm not sorry I went, but I would not choose to repeat that visit.

Pincio, Borghese, more fun.

Sorry for the short hand, too tired.

Pepper_von_snoot May 8th, 2016 07:51 PM

No!

You can always see the gardens by looking out the windows in the Vatican Museum.

You get the best views from the hall where the jewelled chalices and ciboriums are displayed. (And what a disgraceful display of bibelots at that. We Quakers do not indulge in such frippery!)

Loitering in the Vatican Post Office is far more interesting.

Thin

garing May 8th, 2016 08:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback. These would really help me in prioritizing my To See list

KTtravel May 9th, 2016 05:27 AM

I enjoyed them but would not list them as a "must."

garing May 9th, 2016 05:30 AM

Thanks, something to do if with extra time perhaps

rbciao47 May 9th, 2016 06:04 AM

After traveling in Italy since 1980, we decided to visit the vatican Gardens in 2014 and were distinctly underwhelmed. if you have a burning desire to see them, then go, but IMHO, there are many other things more interesting to see in Roma.

Buon viaggio,