Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the tube safe at night for two females?

Aug 13th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Ela

I'm going to Europe in November and I found out that Midline Mainline does day out tours to Chatsworth House. However, the tour does not finish until 7:45pm(or 1944) and you arrive back in London at St. Pancras station. So here's my question and several options...

1. We are staying at a b&b in Streatham which I believe is 15-20 minutes away from London. Would you advise two young females (early 20's) to ride the tube back to Streatham from London at that time of night? I know a taxi would probably be expensive, but would it be safer? Anyone know about how much it would cost?

2. Also, is their tube service even out to Streatham from London or would I have to take a train?

3. Another of our friends is not going on the tour, but do you think it would be wise to have her meet us at the train station - would it be safe for her to wait alone their at night for us?

Whew, it feels like I wrote and essay worth of questions. But, my friend and I are a little worried about our safety and I wanted to get advice from people who have experience using the tube.

Ela

Aug 13th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Mel

My sister and I traveled to London together many times and we rode the tubes much later at night (returning from the theature, London Walks tours, etc). Although I've never taken the exact route you need to take, 7:45pm isn't late by London standards--you should experience relatively full cars.

Aug 13th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Kathy

Ela...I was in London with my family in June.We made good use of the tube. It's a fabulously easy way of getting around the city and to some of the outskirts.We had absolutely no trouble in any of the stations or on any of the trains even at night. Use your common sense. Riding in a car that has more people than less is probably safer. As for Streatham, I don't recall ever having heard it announced nor can I visualize it on the graphic of the system. Why not try the web for finding a tube system rounting. Surely there is something available which would answer that question. Be sure to know when the last train for the evening leaves for your destination. Have fun!

Aug 13th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Ela

Is St. Pancras just a train station or is it also a tube stations?

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:07 PM
ron

St Pancras is the mainline train station. The adjacent tube station, which also serves the King's Cross mainline station,is called King's Cross St Pancras - follow the signs.

Streatham is not served by the tube system - you will have to take the tube and an above ground train. You will have to find out from the B&B which is the closest train station, since there are three with Streatham in the name, Streatham, Streatham Common and Streatham Hill.

In answer to your original 3rd question, a woman hanging around the coffee shop in St Pancras around 7 pm would not be in an unsafe situation.

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Escritora

Ela: Kings Cross St. Pancras is a busy and well-populated tube stop at the intersection of several lines, including the Northern (black) line, which I *believe*--but please don't trust my memory entirely on this!--you would ride south to Streatham. I have no idea where you'd exit or whether you'd need a bus or cab from there to your B&B, but I'm sure your hosts will be happy to provide that information. In any case, not only will the tube be perfectly safe at that hour, it would STILL be perfectly safe if you wanted to walk from Kings Cross St. Pancras to a restaurant in Bloomsbury, enjoy a leisurely dinner and then catch the Northern line out several hours later. I'm a woman who has traveled the tube alone at night, and the only problem it's ever given me was this past March 30, when it shut down for a one-day strike!

Aug 13th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Escritora

Sorry, Ela--I should have specified that you could catch the Northern line after dinner in Bloomsbury at the Tottenham Court Road stop. Fodor's editors: Any chance of getting an edit function for those times when our typing speed outpaces our brain speed?

Aug 14th, 2001, 12:53 AM
david west

You'll be fine, its still very busy at that time. However Streatham isn't served by the tube. You'll need to get the Thameslink train from Kings Cross, Just up Pentonville Rd from the mainline station. This is the dodgy bit.

THe area around the Thameslink station is pretty grim. THere are a large number of homeless people and it is the centre of the local crack dealing trade, so be careful. I have made it sound worse than it actually is, but it isn't an area that you would want to spend time in, and you certainly shouldn't carry flashy cameras etc in open sight.

Incidentally, how on earth did you get a B&B in Streatham? It's not known for its tourist trade to say the least (nothing wrong with it, just very far off the tourist trail). I would observe all the usual urban precautions there as well.

Aug 14th, 2001, 01:09 AM
Ela

I thought I saw that the tube station in Streatham was called Tooting Bec - am I wrong?

Also, does anyone know how much a taxi would be from London to Streatham?

Aug 14th, 2001, 01:47 AM
david west

Tooting bec is NOT in Streatham (not suprisingly it's in Tooting, a different place altogether).

Tooting Bec is on the tube (northern line), which is perfectly safe. Again Tooting is quite a long way from conventional toursit areas, and isn't smart, to say the least. It does have some brilliant "Indian" restaurants (actually begali and pakistani). I would recommend the LAhore Kebab house in Tooting Broadway (bring your own alcohol)

A taxi from central london to streatham would be about 20-25 (black cab) or a bit less in a minicab depending on the time of day. If you can use public transport I would (indeed I do). The N77 Night bus also goes to tooting.

I live quite close to these areas so if you want specifics plaese feel free to email as above.

Aug 14th, 2001, 03:11 AM
BoomerBabe

www.londontransport.co.uk/tube/mau_maps.shtml

This site shows three different versions of tube maps. The third one, The Travelcard Zones Map, also shows the National Rail lines and stations along with the tube lines. That should be helpful to you, because David is right, only trains go to the various Streatham stations.
Possibly you could use the tube to get closer to Streatham, then a shared cab from the outlying tube station to the door of your B&B.

Hope you have a wonderful, memorable trip! Enjoy every minute, that's easy to do in London.

Aug 14th, 2001, 12:39 PM
x the x

up

Aug 14th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Kavey

At the risk of getting flames here...

Streatham is not the safest of places in London...

If you have any problems, it will more likely be walking from the station to your BB in Streatham...

Now there is a nicer bit and a less nice bit but I dont know which is which.

My boss who lives in Streatham has been commenting recently that there have bneen an increased number of shootings (yes with guns) in Streatham over recent weeks, though most have been related to gangs, druggies and robberies and not to tourists or muggings.

Is there any particular reason you would choose a BB here?

Another colleague lives fairly close to Streatham (cant recall station/ area) and has been followed home from the station a couple of times...

Aug 14th, 2001, 05:52 PM
janis

I had the same question as Kavey - is there some particular reason you are staying in Streatham? If it is because it is inespensive - remember you will be spending a lot more getting into and out of central London. There are many inexpensive places in the very center of London w/o having to go all the way to Streatham.

Aug 14th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Ela

I'm actually staying with friends in November, so the b&b is free for me and that's why I'm staying in Streatham...is it really that dangerous?

Aug 14th, 2001, 07:47 PM
janis

Ela: That makes a tremendous difference. Staying w/ friends in a neighborhood is fine - they will be able to let you know which parts are OK (most are) and which to avoid. Paying to stay in Streatham doesn't make too much sense - but having friends to stay with makes all the sense in the world. Enjoy your trip.

Aug 15th, 2001, 12:13 AM
Kavey

Kings Cross should be fine...

If you are staying with friends and therefore saving on the cost of a BB then you can always splash out on a taxi from the local station to their house IF you are getting back late and IF their house is a dark alley walk away...

Kavey

Aug 15th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Ela

Just to clear things up... Streatham doesn't have a local tube station, but it does have three train stations, one of which is called Streatham Common?

Aug 15th, 2001, 02:44 AM
xxx

Just a warning, if you are white (especially blonde) you may experience some racism in Streatham.

Aug 15th, 2001, 03:25 AM
david west

A couple of other points regarding Streatham. Many people have said "get a cab". I wish it were so easy! Many cabbies (black cabs this is) won't go "south of the river" at night. Streatham is going to be high on their list of no-gos (because of the unliklihood of picking up a fair on the way back).

Don't be too scared by the above advice Streatham is coming up in the world, but it has a long way to go (estate agents refer to it as St Reatham). It is the border between "acceptable" London ie the South West and the "badlands" ie south east.

Ask your pal for advice and you'll be fine.