Is the Ticino region worth visiting?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Tina

Is the Ticino region worth visiting?

Hello~<BR><BR>This is our first trip to Switzerland. We will be visiting in mid to late May. Our primary bases are Grindelwald and Lucerne (4 nights each). We will be making many daytrips from these locations. Is the Ticino region worth a day trip from Lucerne? If so, what villages/towns should I visit? Thanks for the insights!<BR><BR>Tina

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Rex

Well, yes - - but if you're going as far from Lucerne as the Ticino, might as well go ahead and relocate to the real heaven - - Lake Como!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:29 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Grasshopper

Tina, I've been planning a trip to Ticino in July and I am so excited I wish I were staying longer. (and I've been to Como as well) A great place to begin investigating is www.burttravels.com (episode #311) and www.myswitzerland.com<BR><BR>I am staying in Locarno and visiting Bellinzona, Ascona, and Lugano. I'm also planning to take an all day boat trip to Stressa and back.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Wayne

Is the Ticino worth visiting? You bet. You shouldn't miss Lakes Lugano and Maggiore and their surrounding villages, including Gandria, Morcote, Lugano, Locarno, Mendrisiotto, plus Monte Bre' and Monte San Salvatore. Gandria is a particularly fascinating little village, carved into the side of the cliff that plunges into the lake.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Jan

Can this region be seen adequately without a car? Best base? Directly on train line? Or have to ride one of those Swiss postal buses?<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:28 PM
jw

It can be seen wonderfully via Swiss trains, boats, and buses. It takes a bit of schedule research, but totally enjoyable, especially the boats on Lake Lugano. But as a p.s., Ticino is quite a long daytrip from Lucerne. Why not expand the places you'll visit from each location and save Ticino and the Engadine for another time. Switzerland is worth trip after trip after trip.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Tom

I had never seen mention of this place Gandria before. I see that a search here on this forum comes with a number of threads. I guess I ought to read through some of those. Is it accessable without a car? Taxi ride? from where?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 04:05 AM
jw

It's a beautiful boat ride from Lugano, but you can get there by bus as well, or you can combine a short bus ride with a walk along the lake shore. Morcote is larger and offers contrasting characteristics. Try to visit both small towns if you plan to stay in Ticino a bit.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 11:34 AM

to the top<BR>