Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the Sari Konak hotel at the bottom of steep hill?

May 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

We're thinking of booking a room at the Sari Konak Hotel in Istanbul. In viewing hotel pictures, it appears that the approach to the hotel is at quite an incline. We're not handicapped, but would appreciate info regarding the difficulty of the approach to the hotel. Thanks.
May 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM

I'm not familiar with the location of the hotel you ask about, but it might be helpful for you to know that Istanbul is hilly. You won't be able to avoid hills, some so steep that I was often reminded of San Francisco. My point is that if you plan on walking a lot, such as between the area of the Blue Mosque, the Topakapi Palace and the Hagia Sophia, and the Grand Bazaare and Spice Market, you won't be able to avoid the hills regardless of which hotel you stay in. I encourage you to do as much walking as possible, as that is the best way to enjoy the details of the city and the friendly openness of its people, which will be missed if you don't do a good bit of walking.
May 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Someone else may give a definitive answer, but I would say with almost certainty that being familiar with the area (and not the specific hotel) that it is on a moderately steep approach. I would think if you emailed them your concerns they'll let you know.
May 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM

We enjoyed our stay there a couple years ago...the walk from the hotel to the tourist sites is only a short walk up a very mild incline, suitable for just about all abilites, IMO.
May 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
I now have a much better idea of the "lay of the land". We certainly plan to do a good deal of walking, and selected this hotel because of its proximity to many of the sites. Again, thanks, and Mike, I enjoyed your report on Turkey.