Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is the Europe board getting to be like the USA board? Heaven help us! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-the-europe-board-getting-to-be-like-the-usa-board-heaven-help-us-104844/)

Civil Feb 8th, 2001 05:56 AM

Is the Europe board getting to be like the USA board? Heaven help us!

Lately I have noticed a substantial increase in the sniping and insults on the Europe board. These are the types of things normally seen on the USA board, such as "Get a life", name-calling, and general dissing. <BR> <BR>I come to the Europe board to get away from all of the backbiting. Can we go back to the way things used to be? Thanks.

Afraid to apeak Feb 8th, 2001 06:06 AM

I can't compare the Europe board to the US board. I started with Europe and have stayed here for the most part. <BR>I, too, am troubled about the sniping that goes on at this site. <BR>I have made a few comments and been beaten up, and by some of the "regulars"! <BR>It makes me very cautious about saying anything. And, I am quite an assertive person. How many other people are intimidated by these actions and what great tips, experiences, recommendations, are we missing?

s.fowler Feb 8th, 2001 06:17 AM

My *take* on this is we're getting "crabby" because most of us haven't been to Europe since last summer. There have also been a couple of attempts to disparage people who don't deserve it. At least IMHO. <BR> <BR>I will take the pledge though. I promise not to be snide, sneering or snooty. I'll let people who make asses of themselves "be." The only exceptions will be for obvious advertising and/or unjustified attacks on people who make genuine contributions to the forum and when I haven't had enough chocolate recently. Fair enough?

xx Feb 8th, 2001 06:25 AM

I'm new to this board (about 2 months) and have lately been thinking about finding a new one that stays professional and informative. <BR> <BR>Anyone know other forums that don't have clubs, dissing, etc?

kk Feb 8th, 2001 06:28 AM

Pass the chocolate and the Euro trips while you are at it, s.fowler, and we can all partake. I'm sure our woes will wilt fast. <BR>There was a surge of nastiness a few months back and it was bad. Then it just up and went away, poof, like that. Now it's back again. Perhaps these tides just come and go. I agree that it's unpleasant while it lasts, but it will go away. <BR>Now I will go back to worrying about BIG things, like potential airline strikes that could seriously hurt a lot of us and our Euro dreams!

Gloria Feb 8th, 2001 06:31 AM

I think some of the responses may be tamed if people would just get up from the computer for ten minutes and "cool down". <BR>Sometimes it is just a matter of personalities that clash. I know I have responded in haste only to wish that I had not reacted so defensively nor with such speed. <BR>It can be easy to take all these comments "personally". But, why should we? We have no real knowledge of fellow posters, and should not assume any ill intent. <BR>And, finally, it is the mere writing style of a poster that can "grate" on another. <BR>So, apologies to all I may have offended. <BR>As s.fowler said, "I promise not to be snide, sneering or snooty", I, too, take the pledge. <BR>

s.fowler Feb 8th, 2001 06:34 AM

This one doesn't really have clubs. Those posts are meant as jokes. [I hope.] In the spirit of my previous post I will only say that there seems to be some resentment of people who post a lot. And some of what makes us individuals seems to bug some others. At least I think that's it. As far as I am concerned the only "club" is all of us who travel, want to travel and share our love of travel. Yeah we get goofy and sometimes snarky -- but in the end this is the best group [all of you .. even Fred if he stops posting his url.] there is. <BR> <BR>The internet also breeds behavior we wouldn't accept in real life. You can post anonymously here and cause a lot of trouble. Sometimes I've reacted too strongly and other times I wonder how people survive in the real world if they are deterred by what they get "dished" in this world. That's no excuse. But perhaps there is too much protesting and not enough posting?

Inky Feb 8th, 2001 06:38 AM

Sally you've fallen into the trap of thinking that this is an American forum for Americans visiting Europe - not so.

s.fowler Feb 8th, 2001 06:42 AM

Oh Inky. You are certainly right. My ethnocentric slip is showing. My apologies.

Cindy Feb 8th, 2001 06:51 AM

I'll take the pledge, too. "I promise not to be snide, sneering or snooty." I'll also apologize for my lame attempts at levity, although I can't promise that I'll stop. <BR> <BR>I don't need more chocolate. I need more sleep.

Quicksilver Feb 8th, 2001 07:21 AM

There's some good advice here already; I'll summarize it and add my own which, of course, I commit to following to the best of my ability. <BR> <BR>1. If something makes you mad, write your response but don't post it. Wait 10 minutes and then read it again. When you come back to it "cooled off," you can remove any unnecessary crankiness. You may even decide it's not worth responding at all. <BR> <BR>2. Remember that words always seem more blunt when they're in writing. Use a few more "softening" phrases ("in my humble opinion," or whatever suits your style) than you would in normal conversation. If you're making a friendly joke, make sure it's clear that that's what it is. <BR> <BR>3. IGNORE TROLLING. In my humble opinion (example! hee hee...) this is the central problem in the forum right now. When someone says something that's obviously intended to be inflammatory, leave it alone. It's like a child "bugging" someone--if they see they're not getting any results, they'll go looking for other victims (and hopefully other forums). <BR> <BR>4. I hope he doesn't mind being singled out like this, but I can't resist the temptation... when in doubt, think of the kindest and most diplomatic responses you've ever seen here. In other words, ask yourself: "What would Ben Haines do?" :) <BR> <BR>I raise my glass to a kinder, gentler, and even more informative Europe Forum. <BR> <BR> - Quicksilver -

topping Feb 8th, 2001 07:55 AM

To gracious living, dining, traveling, and Fodor postings...

Art Feb 8th, 2001 08:14 AM

I also have been disapointed in this board over the last few months. I have stopped responding to trolls, nasties etc. In fact I find myself spending a lot less time on the board than I used to. <BR>

janice Feb 8th, 2001 08:19 AM

I'm taking the pledge too! And I echo the request that people take many deep breaths and count to 2002 before responding to trolls - it's not something we should waste our time, intelligence and good-will on.

At the risk of being flamed Feb 8th, 2001 08:25 AM

Could we also let the "Fodor Club" and <BR>"Pompous Ass Club" die for awhile... <BR>It seems to stir things up a bit, I'm afraid. <BR>

howard Feb 8th, 2001 08:29 AM

I look at it this way: Putting up with the sniping, etc., is a small price to pay for all the wonderful help, advice, etc., that I obtain here!

kate Feb 8th, 2001 08:50 AM

Actually, I've often wondered what this "troll" thing is. It's not an insult we get in the UK. Is it just an ugly person?

dave Feb 8th, 2001 09:01 AM

Well, I am glad to know that this board is not always quite like this. I am going to London next week for my first time and have posted a few questions to help plan my trip. Most questions, I received quick and informative responses back, but to one question (how long might is take to see certain sites...), I received several responses which basically critiqued my question instead of offering some informative suggestions. I was very disappointed, as this was an important question to me and the way we try to plan, and instead of being helpful, some (not all!) of the responders gave me a hard time about asking a ridiculous question in their opinion. I am glad to know that some people do care about conveying information that is asked for! Thanks to everyone who has helped me in my planning!! I really appreciate it!

guy Feb 8th, 2001 09:09 AM

As a newcomer to this site, I've been fascinated by the emerging personalities of the veteran posters. I'm all for civility, but at the same time I'd hate to see too many of the interesting edges rubbed off. The world needs its Mailers and McEnroes to keep it real. Be yourselves, say I.

trollophile Feb 8th, 2001 09:21 AM

I LIKE trolls, or at least some of them. An imaginatively conceived troll can be entertaining; a well designed one that poses a question of genuine interest can serve the same purpose as a really good hypothetical question on an essay exam. A troll, in the context of this forum, I guess is a questioner who lures answerers, fishes for responses with bait. Depending on the quality of the bait, the wholesomeness of intentions, the nature of the subject, etc., that's not such a bad thing.