Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is the drive from Salzburg to Vienna a scenic one?

Is the drive from Salzburg to Vienna a scenic one?

Mar 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Is the drive from Salzburg to Vienna a scenic one?

Hi everyone,

Husband and I will spending a few days in Salzburg before heading to Vienna for several days as part of a 25th anniversary trip coming up in early May. We are going to rent a car for our last day or two in Salzburg because my hubby likes to just get out and "discover" off the beaten path locales. Now we are debating keeping the car, instead of taking the train, to drive on to Vienna(and turn it in as soon as we arrive)but wondering how "scenic" the drive is and if anyone can suggest any stops along the way that might be fun or if we should take a route other than the standard one that google maps shows.

We are mid-50's and are excited by beautiful mountains, quaint villages, unique architecture, good food, history, art, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.
Mar 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM

Hmm... I have taken the train and driven. I thought the train was as scenic as the drive, the train is amazingly clean (I am a mid 50s American but I live in Hungary, I notice clean trains). I would personally take the train.

If you meander and spend the entire day on the drive, that might be different. I just came in on the highway.

My husband and I are planning to bike this route next year - but I'm guessing you don't have a week to devote to this route.
Mar 24th, 2014, 10:39 PM

We often go back and forth from Vienna to Munich for school sports events, passing Salzburg. The first half of the drive from Salzburg to Vienna can be very scenic, depending on how long you want that drive to be, and what the weather is like. Going from Salzburg to Hallstaat passes through mountainous areas and beautiful villages, if not shrouded in low clouds and fog.

From Hallstaat you can backtrack north to the Wachau Valley and its scenic villages, or continue toward Leoben through Steirmark, also pretty with mountain views.

If you can make the decision at the last minute, ditch the car and take WestBahn directly to Vienna if the weather is inclement; you'll be miserable driving through fog and rain.
Mar 25th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi-thanks guys!

@JulieCallahan-appreciate the info on that stretch of the train trip. And, yes, we were planning to make a day of it with a leisurely(or not)drive from Salzburg to Vienna. We will have arrived in Salzburg from Lucerne by train, having spent the week before getting about without a car in and around Lucerne, so thought the car might give us a broader reach for that particular city to city trip. And no, wish we had a week to devote but have a few days planned in Vienna before flying back to the States. BTW, I so enjoy your blog! Have seen your comments on other posts and hope to visit Budapest on another trip. It sounds pretty cool!

@fourfortravel-you really make sense! We are trying to keep our days flexible for each "home base" that we're visiting to accommodate the weather. Thank you for those suggestions for routes and the idea to turn in the car in Salzburg if the weather is icky and just train on to Vienna instead. Hadn't thought of that yet!
Mar 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks very much, alliecat... I am happy you enjoyed the blog...Enjoy your trip. We love the villages of Austria...
Sep 18th, 2015, 10:56 PM

Hello Alliec

This is MANECK from India, we have similar plans as yours.. we are 4 couple in early 50s. We have NOT done this yet

BUT the following is sketched out for our May 2016 tour

Salzburg to Vienna SELF Drive (reach in 4 to 5 Hrs)SELF Drive
5-6 hrs scenic drive with stop over for lunch, wine etc
i) Salzburg to St. Gilgen 30-40 mts
ii) St Gilgen to Bad Ischi 20-30 mts
iii) Bad Ischi to Gmunden 30-40 Mts
iv) Gmunden to Vienna 2 Hr 30 mts
Sep 19th, 2015, 10:30 AM

As long as you have a car I would keep it and I would plan on an early start and stopping at Melk to see the Abby which is just fascinating. You can then drop the car as soon as you get to Vienna.

If you decide to do the train instead then I would plan on a day trip to Melk while you re staying in Vienna.

Search this Thread