Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Thanksgiving a good time to travel to Paris?

Notices

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if so, what are some highlights at that time of year? I want to make sure that museums, attractions, etc. will be open.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM

Actually, it seems this is becoming more popular - perhaps because it is in the lower air fare season. There is a chance the weather will turn quite cold, but severe cold is not usual that time of year. Last year it was quite nice - cool, to be sure, and with some sprinkles, but very pleasant. Remember this is a US holiday, not a French one, so there will not be holiday closures in Paris.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM

The Thanksgiving holiday is not observed in Paris so you should find everything, including great restaurants, open during this time. The weather in late November can be a little iffy. You can expect it to be cooler with overcast skies and a little rain, but then again, it's Paris. We've been there in the middle of the winter when it was pouring rain, but it didn't bother us. All it meant was that there were a few less tourists to put up with.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:06 AM

Well, almost four hundred years ago in France they didn't have starving Pilgrms celebrating the fact (that thanks to the local Indians) they now had enough food to live through the winter - so no reason to give thanks - and no holiday. Really now! Have the schools given up teachig any American history at all?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:21 AM

Well, let's give the OP benefit of the doubt. Maybe jemma is thinking about something like:

Canadian Thanksgiving Day = US Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October)

Canada Day = Hong Kong return to China Day (July 1)

Christmas for most of the world = Taiwan Constitution Day (Dec 25)

etc...
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:51 AM

Nothing is closed. Christmas decorations start to go up. The weather is really quite nice.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi jemma,

Lucky for you that you will be in Paris for "Le Jour de Merci Donnant".

See http://www.people.virginia.edu/~pm9k...s/artrech.html
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM

Hi
If you're looking for a place to have dinner, I think this rstaurant and shop is still there ( it features American-style foods):

Thanksgiving
20 rue Saint-Paul Paris 75004, metro Saint-Paul
Non-smoking room upstairs. Reservations advised for brunch.
Tel. 01 42 77 68 2
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:33 AM

AT FIRST I thought Jemma was implying that there was a holiday in Paris ... but after reading it again I THINK she meant because of the weather. She might think a lot of the attractions are seasonal. (but I don't know why the museums would be closed)

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:37 AM

I have been to Europe (Rome, Paris Madrid)during T-Giving week and is GREAT. Weather is perfect, hardly any rain, lots of sun and cool nights. Not many tourist and yes everything is open.
Bon Voyage
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM

I don't want to seem "contrary" and want to ask this with a nice tone of "voice"...buy why for a week in Paris would I want to find American foods? Yes, I did select a special restaurant in which to give thanks last year, but it included foi gras and truffled scallops...and I was indeed VERY THANKFUL.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:35 PM

Thanksgiving is NOT A FRENCH HOLIDAY. All of the museums,clubs, restaurants and stores are open. I have been to Paris over Thanksgiving twice, and recommend it as a totally enjoyable time to visit. The advantages are the airfare is usually much cheaper then at peak seasons, hotel rates are a little less expensive,and the weather for me was fine-similiar to New York City weather, maybe a little milder. Of course, I am used to walking in the city at that time of year, so with the appropriate clothing and a warm coat I was very comfortable. We even ate a few lunches outside as many of the cafes have heaters in their outside area, so it was comfortable.
There are definitely less tourists to deal with, so that is a plus.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:46 PM
mjz

jemma - I did this over Thanksgiving in 2001. The weather was in the upper 40's/low 50's with both rain/clouds and sun. Crowds were more manageable, cheap airfares and hotels easily found. The next year I did Berlin and London over Thanksgiving and this year I'm planning a trip to Istanbul. I really enjoy travelling to Europe at this time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:31 PM

I'm sure jemma was well aware that there is no celebration of Thanksgiving in Paris, but this reminds me of the post once, "Do they have a Fourth of July in Paris?"

Nope! Right after July 3, they skip right on to the 5th.

By the way, this year I was aware of turkey appearing on more menus in Paris (as well as all over Europe). So if that "Thanksgiving" restuarant isn't open, you can still possibly get turkey.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:40 PM

Wow, I don't see any sign that Jemma thought France celebrates Thanksgiving. What gives? We were, by the way, in Paris over Thanksgiving in 1999, and it was great. We saw them putting up Christmas decorations in front of the Pantheon and on the Place des Contrescarpe, enjoyed big museum shows, etc. However, it's the height of the low season, so you have to try a variety of different hotels to get good rates. Jemma, have a great trip.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM

Agreed, there was nothing in her post that suggested she thought Paris would be celebrating Thanksgiving.
For the past 5 years, I've been flying from Europe over the Thanksgiving holidays (I have to attend a conference in Chicago the last week of Nov/early Dec.)--the planes can be crowded.
Late November/early December can be iffy weather-wise in Paris. Sometimes it's just glorious late fall weather--sunny, crisp, invigorating--but you can also get some bouts of sleet, wind, cold and damp.
It's a great time for the "social whirl" in Paris--the opera and concert halls are in full swing.
One thing we always recommend to people visiting in December...the wine bar at Fauchon's (by the Madeleine) hosts free champagne tastings throughout the month. A different champagne every day. Tasting sizes can be pretty generous...on Taittinger day, for example, a friend and I went through almost an entire bottle "on the house." (We weren't being greedy, the charming man behind the bar kept filling up our glasses.)
It's a great time to be in Paris, I usually try to spend a couple of days before or after my trip to the U.S. relaxing there. This year, we'll be living outside London, but still hope to make it over for a day or two.
Re hotels, if you haven't already booked, think about reserving a room in a hotel that has a fireplace in its salon. Perfect for unwinding with a brandy in the evening after a day in the brisk outdoors. The Hotel du Cadran in the 7th (just off the Rue Cler) is one such hotel (ask for a room on the 5th floor with a view of the Eiffel Tower).
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:19 AM

SuzieC
If you don't want American food in Paris then you don't have to have any.
I don't either, it just occurred to me that on a traditional American holiday someone might want to have a traditional American meal. I might myself.
Any information here is provided with good intent, mostly, and can also be ignored with impunity.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Absolutely! No question!

From Saveur Mag's website, they wrote a blub where Guy Savoy prepared dinner for a bunch of American guests and the article mentioned the words: "Dinde, dindon and dindonneau - designating female, male and young turkeys, respectively." To look for.

On another site, a couple posting in November of 2002, wrote they wanted a real American style Thanksgiving Dinner with all the fixings. They found it at Joe Allen's in the 1eme.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:11 AM

jemma04 would have done better had she posted her thread to read,"Are the last two weeks of November a good time to travel to Paris?" Mixing the words "Thanksgiving" with the words "at that time of year" can be misleading, especially to the many fodorites who are challenged by their lack of reading comprehension skill. I suspect jemma is young and/or inexperienced.

November is a great month to visit Paris, especially if you like cool weather, which I do. The bitter cold hasn't arrived yet and many times the weather is down right lovely, more like a great day in October. Every time I've been to Paris in November I've managed to escape rain. Just lucky, I guess. Everything (that's important to me) is open and there are no tourists. What a delight!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Absolutely anytime is a good time to travel to Paris - Including Thanksgiving time. You will have much to give thanks for!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO