Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Something Going On in Zurich May 29 to June 1?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have been trying to book two rooms in Zurich for May 29 to June 1, and all the messages I receive say no rooms are available. Is something special going on in Zurich at that time or are all the hotels actually full? Thank you for any information you can give me.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Monday May 31 is a public holiday in many European countries; lots of people take a long weekend. That might be the problem.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Don't rely on generic booking sites. Try booking with hotels directly. Often the sites show no availability when the hotels themselves have plenty.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:26 AM
JonJon

I agree with WillTravel...sometimes a hotel won't have released rooms for sale through booking services (assuming that is what you are using). I would not assume non-availability until the hotel itself, either via e-mail or fax or phone, confirms that status.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I had the same problems for July in Zermatt. All my usual websites--orbitz, travelocity, etc.--showed no availability except for Best Western. I had a hard time believing everything was already booked, so I checked directly with hotel--and had no problem. They said they just hadn't set their prices yet, so they show "no availability" until they do that. I know that I tend to plan way ahead of time, but I've heard that Europeans (and this is a terrible generalization) tend to book later, so they don't rush it as much as at least I tend to do. Good luck!