Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Russell Square in London all torn up?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Elizabeth

If you live there, can you tell me--is it? I want to stay around there. The more details the better if there is something going on. <BR><BR> At present I want to stay at the Euston Plaza hotel on Upper Woburn Street. But would love to know if there's any terrible neighborhood noise problem. Which I doubt--that it would be bad enough to bother me--I live in Manhattan, sleep by a window, etc.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:05 AM
KenCT

I replied more fully on another thread, but the quick answer is NO. I read those same dire warnings before I left and had some second thoughts myself. Russell Square itself appears to have been re-landscaped, but it looks to be just about finished. <BR><BR>There seems to be a lot of construction all over London. In fact, if you stand on the Millennium Bridge and look out toward's St. Paul's, the area is surrounded by cranes. <BR><BR>But none of that should be a distraction. Do you really want to visit a place that is frozen in time?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Julie

Hi Ken,<BR><BR>It's nice to know that Russell Square is looking better. When I was there in early March, it really did look bad - just a big pile of dirt with guys working on it, no plants at all. I mentioned it in my trip report because I didn't want anyone to book a hotel overlooking the famous square and then be disappointed.<BR><BR>You certainly make a valid point that no one wants to visit a place that is frozen in time, but on the other hand, why should someone spend thousands of dollars to go to London and have a view of a pile of mud? <BR><BR>I agree that Bloomsbury is a wonderful neighborhood to stay, and I'm glad that Russell Square is back to looking nice again.<BR><BR>Julie<BR><BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:54 PM
James

No one wants to visit a place frozen in time? That's one of the main reasons I love Europe - to seek out those kind of places.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Lori

Russell Sq. has been replanted with new grass and the entire grassy areas are staked off with wooden fences until the grass comes in. I was there just a couple of days ago. All of London is under construction - all we saw were cranes on top of bldgs. in all directions. Many streets are torn up too.