Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Rue de la Huchette a bad location/very touristy?

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am checking out possible apt rentals for a family Paris trip in February. The best possibility I have found is a 4th floor apt with fireplace and original woodbeams on rue Huchette, which sleeps 6. The apt looks great and the price is right, but I have seen some negative comments about Rue de la Huchette. Is it very touristy/a bad location?
Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Hi cruisinred,
I'd say yes, it is a busy area, many low cost restaurants and plenty of foot traffic. That being said, I've stayed on Quai St Michel, 1/2 block closer to Seine and enjoyed it..based on accomodations higher up in the building and double paned glass. Geographically speaking, it is a prime location for access to Paris sites. If I was looking for a place, it would not be my first choice, but if the price is right and the accomodations what I need, I would consider it.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Rue de la Huchette is one of the most touristed tight spots in all of Europe. It is maybe 20 feet wide (no cars) and lined with Greek kabob and giro joints. It also has the Cave de la Huchette, not a family type place.

But I wouldn't let this concern you. On the 4th floor in February (elevator?) you won't hear much if anything from gound level, especially at night. I suggest that you mention the name of the place here and on tripadvisor to see if there are any reports on it. Fireplace and beams tells me that it might be a bit drafty.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
You've confirmed my suspicions about Rue de La Huchette. I will have to weight the drawbacks versus a reasonably priced apt with a working fireplace (tres cozy in February, non?)

Here is the apt:
http://www.ilparisapartments.com/a_huchette.htm
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM

It isn't going to be as 'touristed' in Feb as in the warmer months.
Caveau de la Huchette is a music club/bar, nothing objectionable about it (as opposed to some 'clubs' around Pigalle, for example).
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Do you think there would still be local food stores, bakeries etc. within walking distance, or is it all clubs and gyro stalls?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Gorgeous! I agree it is a touristy area; there are lots of restaurants and stores, bakeries, boulangeries, etc.
In February it would not be "as touristy" as say May, June, July...
4 flights up would cause me to lose my breath but it is gorgeous.
Yep, I'd stay there...as a solo even
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:28 AM

We stay at the Parc St. Severin Hotel which is very near Rue de Huchette and love all the action and lights even though it can be noisy at night when it's warm. Won't be a problem in Feb. though. I'd actually recommend it. What the area really doesn't have is decent grocery stores. There are a couple near the St. Severin Church--but both are very small with almost no selection and in one, though they advertise that they take credit cards, everytime they insert one in their machine it mysteriously fails to work. Not reputable if you ask me. Other than that, I love the area and I'm certainly no kid.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM

The apartment is beautiful and the location is good, but as others wrote, Rue Huchette is very touristy. I wouldn't eat or shop there.

The good part is that it's only steps to more attractive streets and very accessible to the metro, Ile St. Louis, Ile de Cite, the Seine, etc. You'll find many options for restaurants close by and there is a small grocery store (Franprix, I think) on Rue des Anglais, just off Blvd. St Germain, near the Maubert metro stop. It looks like a little bit of a walk, but there is connecting street by eglise St. Julien de Pauvre.

There is a street market at Place Maubert once or twice a week, but I don't remember the days. Maybe you can get tips on bakeries, markets, etc. from the the apartment's owners. There used to be an excellent bakery called Garcia near Maubert but the last time I went there, it was under new ownershop and was not as good. Maison Kaiser is on Rue Monge and it might be worth the walk if you're a bread/pastry lover. Be sure to go to Ile St. Louis for ice cream at Berthillon and gelato at Amorino.

There are so many pros to the location and apt. that I'd go for it.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Even in Feb. there could be some noise at night, esp. on the week-ends, but it shouldn't be a big problem as you are up fairly high and you'll probably have the windows closed. The apartment looks beautifully furnished...the only thing that bothers me (aside from the lack of elevator in the building) is that the stairs in the apt. itself look awfully steep, I wouldn't want to go up or down those after having a few drinks! I'd give that mezzanine bedroom to the teetotaling mountain goats in your party.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments everyone.

LOL BTilke---we would let the 10 & 11 year olds in our family take the mezzanine beds. Hopefully, the won't be having too much wine
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Also, perhaps it's just an optical illusion, but is there ANY space between that master bed and the wall (with the striped paper)? If not, I hope the person sleeping on the window side doesn't mind vaulting back and forth over the bed (make sure he/she isn't the type who gets up frequently at night). I wouldn't want that sleeping arrangement long term, but for a week or so, could live with it.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi C,

If you go to www.pagesjaunes.fr youcan look up the various enterprises that interest you on the streets around you.

There is a Monoprix at 50 r Rennes, about 1 km from the apt.

You can also shop on rue de Buci.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I've stayed in a hotel on the Rue de la Huchette twice, about 10 years ago (the Hotel des Argonautes), and yes, it can be noisy at night. But then, my hotel was right above a Greek restaurant with plate-smashing nightly. ;-) I was in Paris last week and walked down that street a few times--crazy busy at night, but not in a seedy way, just touristy. Feb should be better, less noisy.

I never ate at any of the restaurants because they were so touristy, I was concerned the food would be bad.

My favorite bakery (where I still went for breakfast last week even though my hotel was further south in the Quartier Latin) is on the corner of Rue de la Huchette and Rue de la Harpe. Try the "Zurich" pastry, which is a bit of heaven. They also sell fabulous crepes at the outside counter. You can get your breads there.

Locationwise you can't beat. The St Michel station is at the end of the street, and you can walk to many things without even using the Metro. (E.g. Louvre, Notre Dame)

I'd do it, myself.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Do you think an apt. underneath the Eiffel Tower would be touristy? It's wall-to-wall tourists there, nothing but. I wouldn't ever eat or shop there either, but as noted, some folks don't mind it and like it's closeness to tourist sites.

I don't know what hopskotch is referring to as Cave de la Huchette (maybe there is a wine store?). If it's caveau, yeah, it's just a jazz cellar but it's not sleazy or a bad spot. Other folks stay near worse things and probably don't know it in other parts of Paris--a lot worse. It's not like a lot of bad people hang out around it or anything. I've been there, it's nothing weird.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM

its a good thing you have those children...maybe they can lug the logs upstairs <GRIN> for those cozy evenings IN PARIS in front of a fire...
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I think it's a great location! Granted, I wouldn't want to stay in an apartment on the ground or 1st floor on rue de la Huchette in the summer, but it's up on the 4th and it's February. You're almost across the street from Notre Dame and very near the St. Michel Metro/RER station, and you mention you have kids - the location is great.

You can walk to the Luxembourg Gardens in 10-15 minutes, and walk to rue de Buci (up St. Andre des Arts) in less than 10 minutes, including to the Champion supermarket, although the FranPrix may be closer.

I've looked at that apartment before on-line, and would definitely consider it for our family.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Well, that *Cave* was my mistake of the day. The place is Caveau de la Huchette. It was one of my favorite hangouts when I lived in Paris, a few blocks away. I didn't mean to imply that the Caveau de la Huchette is sleazy, but that it is not a family place. After getting the kids in bed mom and dad might want to slip down there for a drink and a dance.

In addition to the open market (is it in business in February?) there are several stores selling cheese, meats, veggies, etc. at Place Maubert. There is a budget wine shop two blocks up the hill on rue des Ecoles.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Dear Cruisinred,

My family stayed on Rue de la Huchette at Hotel Les Argonauts about 20 years ago, when I was but a teenager. I would tell you we had a smashing sort of Griswald Family Vacation. My brother and I shared a room and listened to them break plates below in the restaurant late at night, but that seemed quite exciting for two suburban kids!! We got plenty of sleep and no one had any trouble. It is an excellent sight-seeing base.

Now, 20 years later, my husband and I are living in Paris in a tiny studio apartment we purchased three years ago. See what trouble a little family vacation can stir up???!! ;-)

Have a great trip!
Lutece
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Lutece,

We'd like to meet you! Let's see how oblique I can make this: Go to slowtav.com. Search the commercial section. Find the cheapside. Send us a message. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information