Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Queen Charlotte's Cottage at Kew Gardens open to the public?

Feb 20th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

My family and I are traveling to London in early April. Does anyone know whether Queen Charlotte's Cottage at Kew Gardens is open to the public and, if so, on what days and at what hours? From the photos I have seen, the interiors of this thatched-roof cottage look enchanting, especially the Picnic Room with walls and ceilings painted by one of Queen Charlotte's daughters.

The official website (www.hrp.org.uk) says it is open for "certain special events," while Rough Guide to England (2002) says Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 to 4:00.

Any information you can provide would help me with my trip itinerary immensely. Thank you!
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Send your question to

[email protected]
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Underhill. I have sent an e-mail inquiry and will post on this thread any answer I get. If anyone else knows the answer, though, I'd still appreciate it if you would post it here. Thanks, again.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

I received an answer today from the staff at Kew Gardens. Because of the need to conserve and protect the fragile interior of Queen Charlotte's Cottage, it is currently open only for limited periods during the year. The dates for 2004 have not yet been determined but are likely to include 1st/2nd/3rd May and weekends in July and August. The website at www.hrp.org.uk will give more information as opening times approach.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:31 AM

If you visit Kew Gardens, have tea at the Maids of Honour tearoom across the street (closed on Sunday). It is supposed to have been in business since the time of Henry VIII and is something I particularly enjoyed.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Carolyn. The Maids of Honour is definitely a don't-miss on my list. I must try the famed eponymous cakes!