Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Pick pocketing in Europe worse then America? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-pick-pocketing-in-europe-worse-then-america-234323/)

Michael Jun 25th, 2002 11:32 AM

Is Pick pocketing in Europe worse then America?

I keep hearing about how bad pick pocketing is in Europe, is it really that bad, or just like any place else?

Liz Jun 25th, 2002 11:38 AM

You find pickpockets where you find tourists. There are LOTS of tourists in Europe, so...<BR><BR>Follow the advice in any guidebook and you'll be fine.

forgun Jun 25th, 2002 11:59 AM

In Europe the pickpockets dont shoot you.

mpprh Jun 25th, 2002 12:13 PM

troll<BR>

yes it Jun 25th, 2002 12:18 PM

The pick pockets are soooooo good, numerous,well organised they are to be commended!I have worked in Chicago and New York,traveled extensively and have never seen/heard of so many people being accosted as in Paris,Madrid and Rome.As Americans we are somewhat naive when it comes to pick pockets.Europes seem to accept their existence as a way of life.The gun issue is not comparable.These thieves are however becoming bolder and there are more and more attacks with knives.Last year I spent Monday at the Madrid American Embassy with someone whose passport had been stolen.It was some experience.The pick pockets had had a very successful weekend.I know people blame the North Africans,gipsies etc but what about the countries themselves? Europe needs to unite and come up with some plans to protect tourist.Now the police are really not interested-a shrug and a comment!Not acceptable.What has happened to the days when we would just go and enjoy the sights of Europe? nowadays we still go but prepare for battle with strategies to thwart these disgusting but so professional thieves

Bert Jun 25th, 2002 12:26 PM

Pickpocketing is most definitely worse in Europe than America. In Europe it is a normal way of life. No one in Europe seems to care or do anything to make matters better.

home Jun 25th, 2002 12:28 PM

I just returned from Paris and Madrid and went shopping.When I got to my car,I realised how safe I felt.I never checked my purse,kept it in the shopping cart-a straw bag-no zipper.I never thought about being on the defensive,no one bothered.I live in San Diego and yes, we have tourists,so the argument about pick pockets just doesn't correlate with the number of tourists!

Home Jun 25th, 2002 01:04 PM

I just went shopping in Europe, where I live. I never wear a moneybelt and never worry about my purse. Never was pickpocketed. Europe is safe and all the stories about pickpockets are exaggerations.

YeahSure Jun 25th, 2002 01:26 PM

Home and home - stupid people get lucky sometimes.

you're Jun 25th, 2002 05:33 PM

The previous poster is the one that's been lucky! I wish him well as the ladies shmooze him,bump into him and voila, his wallet is gone !Let's not be cavalier about the pick pockets in Europe,they are a growing breed and an embarrassment to Europeans who are in a daze as to what to do with them!

Mary Jun 25th, 2002 06:31 PM

I have gone to Europe many times in the past 10 years, and never had any problems at all. But I am very conscious about pickpockets and wear a money belt usually. If not, I hug my purse very closely in the Tube and Metro. I live in Miami, and never think about pickpockets, but I don't go to crowded touristy areas or use public transportation either. I think in the U.S. you have to worry about worse crimes than pickpockets - at least in the big cities. I wouldn't go out alone at night in Miami, but think nothing of it in London or Paris.

Hans H Jun 26th, 2002 12:16 AM

I also live in Europe, never wear a money belt, don't know about anyone living here wearing a money belt and don't worry abvout pickpockets. I live in Heidelberg, not exactly the least touristy place on earth.

Sia Jun 26th, 2002 12:46 AM

People who live in Europe (like I do) are not usually targeted as they do not walk around with bulging fanny-packs and expensive cameras. Best advice to tourists- blend!<BR>