Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Paris Grand Hotel des Balcons (6th)still a favorite?

Nov 28th, 2001, 12:44 PM
ES

We have reserved a room here for one week after reading rave reviews on this forum. It is described as friendly, charming but simple, fabulous breakfasts, the best location, and reasonable. Does anyone have any recent information on whether this still holds true? Thank you very much for your opinions.

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Monica

I was there October 2000 and enjoyed my stay there (2nd time). I know that a few others have been there and had positive comments on the hotel. I didn't have their breakfast, but plan to the next time I stay at their hotel (maybe in May 2002).

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:27 PM
lisa

I was there in late May of this year and enjoyed my stay very much, especially the great location, excellent breakfast, and reasonable price. The staff spoke English well and was very helpful although not overly friendly. The rooms are very plain in decor; I definitely would not go so far as to say that they are charming. They are clean and comfortable and that is all. I did have a small balcony overlooking the street which was nice. My bathroom had a tub with a hand-held shower and no shower curtain which is common for 2-star hotels in Paris -- a little awkward, but you get used to it. I would definitely stay there again as long as it is in a month when air conditioning is unnecessary. But in June through August I would choose a hotel with air conditioning. By far the best thing about this hotel is the location, a stone's throw from Luxembourg Gardens and Blvd. St. Germain, with lots of great restaurants and cafes and shopping in the immediate vicinity.

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Liz

Liked it in June 2001. Location near Rue du Buci AND Luxembourg Gardens is the main plus.

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Thyra

We were there in 1999 and loved it.
Nice b-fest and great location (I love to run through the Luxembourg Gardens in the morning).
I plan to stay there again, when I am next in Paris.

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:56 PM
xxx

Stayed there a few years ago and for the most part enjoyed it. A few drawbacks: 1) No window covering on the bathroom, which faced a courtyard windows to other rooms. 2) Our room was nonsmoking but smoking was allowed throughout the hotel, including the breakfast room, at all times. Nothing like a lungful of carcinogen along with your croissant, and you get to reek of smoke the rest of the day! 3) The railing on our balcony was rickety, loose, and seemed ready to collapse at any moment. Avoid standing on the balconies! 4) Decor and furniture show quite a bit of wear and tear, in fact, was rather dogeared

Just our experiences

Nov 28th, 2001, 04:09 PM
an observer

Just want to say that I thought the rooms reminded me of a college dorm. For the price and location, it is a good value, but don't think that it will be a "charming" French hotel.

Nov 28th, 2001, 05:45 PM
David

Thanks for asking about this hotel. I just made reservations for next April so the mostly positive comments are timely and welcomed.

Dec 4th, 2001, 07:41 AM
lisa

Topping for ES.