Is our Hotel in a good area (Paris)?

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Anna

Is our Hotel in a good area (Paris)?

Wondering if our Hotel is in an alright area.
RDP St. Martin, 6 Rue Gustave Goublier, in the 10th. Between the streets Blvd. De Strasbourg and Rue Du Faubourg, just North of Rue St. Martin. We have been to Paris once and have not been in this area. Just wondering what we're looking forward to!
Thanks!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:37 AM
bob

Looks like an OK area. I have not stayed in the immediate area but it seems ok. This link will take you to hotel page
http://www.holidaycity.com/saint-martin/

It is a bit out from center but easy access via metro to all things.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:07 AM
ron

I'm not a big Paris buff like some of those that reply here. I have stayed near the Arc twice and didn't feel the area to be inconvenient at all.

I have read a lot here and found out most people who really want that big ooooh la la Parisian atmosphere recommend the 6th, and only the 6th, as if that is the come all to end all of the entire city of Paris. I think they're shuttering "Mon Dieu" to the fact that you even dared to consider the 10th.

I read debates here galore about nobody really needs to be in the 6th or 7th or 4th or 5th to enjoy the city, as the transportation (metro) is fine, plus you can walk all over.

With that much said, I'll be going to Paris in a week and this time opted for the 10th too.So we'll be neighbors.

I originally booked one of those quaint, 18th century hotels so highly recommended here and in travel magazines--the kind of hotel where you need to make reservations months and months in advance for the warmer seasons. Being the off season they had a room when I booked it 3 weeks away. But their charge to be in the "midst of it all"was double the price quoted by a nice looking hotel in the 10th, the Morris Grand Boulevards. (I hope nobody tells me it is a dump, and that I'll be sorry.)

I did not see the point in spending beaucoup bucks for summer time prices that they are still charging in the 6th or 4th for January, when the pricing in the 10th is more down to normal low-season levels.

With that said, I, like you, will see if the 10th is really all that much in the booney wayside of Paris as so many 6'ers feel. With close access to the Metro and 2 RER stations, I have my doubts that I will go wrong spending half the price for a hotel. As I know I myself can't resist using the other half I save to enjoy a great meal.

Ron

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Christina

A short response to your header question -- no, that is not a good area, but I suppose you can make do, there are worse (so one might say yes to "alright" area, which I'd say about almost anywhere in Paris). That is right near Chateau d'Eau metro stop, there is a great brasserie near there, very famous (Brasserie Flo) and some good jazz and other clubs (New Morning, it's on same street at B FLo, I think, rue des Petites Ecuries). I also notice that many people on this board do say you must stay in the 6th, but I am not one of them; I don't stay there myself (in fact, never have, now that I think of it) partly due to cost and tourist congestion. However, if cost were the issue, there are other parts of Paris I would recommend as preferable to the 10th arr. It isn't really the money issue alone, there are other reasons people don't want to stay there, not just that (as I said, I could recommend cheap places elsewhere, like the 13th-15th I would prefer myself). It's just not very nice in parts, immigrant/lower working class area in many areas, unattractive, higher crime rates (at least when I read the paper or listen to the news in Paris, more violent street crime seems to be in that quartier compared to the central ones). But, it's not horrible and if you just want to go somewhere and stay away all day, it may be fine for you. Here is a URL from Timeout mag that describes it a little bit for a hint:
http://www.timeout.com/paris/sight/les_halles_and_sentier/fbg_st_denis_to_gare_du_nord.html
I have not been around there except in daytime.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:20 AM
z

it's a working class industrial area, with train stations, hospitals and warehouses. it also has some street crime. little to see. little to do. no remarkable restaurants. all Paris is near a metro station, so that's not a plus or minus.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Anna

Thank you all. I just didn't want to have a family in an area that's a bit scary. Is it anything like Bd. De Clichy or even Bd. De Rochechouart (to me that area was questionable in the day
time and don't know if I'd want to be there at night). So how does our Hotel
compare to the above?

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Patty

You didn't mention going with your family to Paris. Why did you choose this area in the first place? If you're concerned about safety choose the 6th, 7th or the 16th, even the 1st. If you're with family I would prefer to stay in a more central area where I didn't have to hustle youngsters on and off busses and the metro all day. Just my preference.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:54 PM
ger

Anna:

I'd agree with Patty ... not the best area for a family, in my opinion. Likewise, I'd suggest the 5th, 6th, 7th for resonably-priced hotels in an area that is both safe and in the centre of all (family oriented) amusements.

A personal favorite is the 14th, which is safe, lots of great restaurants and with in walking distace of all majore attactions. Check out the following website for hotels by district:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/parishotels.htm

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Christina

With a family, I really would not choose that area. If you are looking for lower cost, I would look in the 7th, or 13th-15th arr., as I said. It does have some similarities to bd Rochechouart area, it seems to me.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Wendy

Anna I just returned last night from Paris. We stayed in the 10th, our metro was J. Bonsargeant or Gare L'est. I was with my boyfiend who at 6'6" is not going to get messed with! However if I was there with just my mom or my girlfriends I wouldn't stay there. It is NOT a bad area but it's not as busy as some of the more central which makes it feel less safe. Having said that you may want to try the Marais for less expense but a safer feel . This would be the 3rd. Also I have stayed in the 5th twice for very cheap and that is more central and safer too.
If you do stay in the 10th I am sure you will be fine but if you are worried then look around. Bon Voyage!!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Samuel

Check out the following website :

www.hotelvaladon.com

Regards,

Samuel

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 07:58 PM
topping

ttt