Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is now a good time to visit Greece, given the bad news about their economy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-now-a-good-time-to-visit-greece-given-the-bad-news-about-their-economy-828721/)

acc23nyc Feb 28th, 2010 04:22 PM

Is now a good time to visit Greece, given the bad news about their economy?

I have long wanted to travel to Greece (particularly to see Athens, Mykonos, and Santorini), but the news about the problems with the Greek economy has raised some concerns. Do these problems mean that prices in Greece will be higher than usual or lower? Or does it matter? I was thinking of a 10 to 12 day trip in late August through early September, and, to save money, was going to start planning now. Any tips on saving money and time would be greatly appreciated. We are a couple, no children, enjoy nice restaurants, moderately priced accommodations, beaches, some nightlife, some sightseeing, would prefer to avoid renting a car if that's feasible.

Thanks,
ACC

brotherleelove2004 Feb 28th, 2010 04:47 PM

It means that some hoteliers will be more open to offering discounts for stays 5 nights or longer. Some won't, but if you ask you might get lucky. The best way to ask is to first determine what they're quoting for the room you want. If, for example, they quote you €150/night then contact them and tell them you have heard such positive reviews for their hotel, and ask if they would book you in that same room for €130. Prices will be at their highest between July and September so any discount you can get will allow you to spend less money on an expensive room and more money on fun stuff.

Most hotels with websites include their rates so you can ask for the discount using this method during your initial contact.

Another method for getting a discount is to ask for it if you pay your bill in cash. That sometimes works too.

mjs Mar 2nd, 2010 04:23 PM

It may be slightly less expensive to visit Greece or anywhere else in the Euro zone now if your source of funds is from outside the Euro zone or England. I suspect that the US dollar will strengthen somewhat further against the Euro this year but who knows? Cost will probably be less if you went to Greece in September- October as it will be more out of season.

tom_h Mar 5th, 2010 07:46 AM

News reports indicate the Greek Govt will likely raise the the Value Added Tax (VAT) a percentage point or so. Also, that fuel taxes will be increased.

OTOH, all this turmoil is weakening the Euro and strengthening the US Dollar, so overall prices may be somewhat *cheaper*.

All the Greek economic problems have also resulted in predicatable labor union strikes, and transportation has at times ground to a halt. These strikes are unpredictable, but I suspect will reduce over the next few weeks as the greeks slowly accept their fate.

All this could, and probably will, change by August, when OP is planning their trip.

eliza61 Mar 5th, 2010 07:51 AM

Personally, I'm in the US and right now our economy is in the toilet also, so definitely would not use that as a barometer to decide on travel. LOL.
I'm plan on going if you've always wanted to visit and maybe look at ways to economize. Maybe a few less fancy dinners, or not so much shopping. those type of things.

dfr4848 Mar 5th, 2010 10:38 AM

I join in the view that I wouldn't let it stop me at all. Greece is a wonderful, fascinating place. We were there during the riots in the late fall of '08 and we simply made appropriate adjustments. Our daughter lived there for 6 months, and protests/strikes aren't new. It can be (sometimes very) inconvenient but as she said, you simply deal with it, make necessary changes, and continue to appreciate the country and all it and its people have to offer.

tog Mar 10th, 2010 06:21 PM

I have already booked a Greek Isle cruise along with 11 other people for September. We have been researching local tour companies to hire for private tours (for our group of 12),as opposed to booking excursions through the cruise line. Some people are worried that the economy may cause some tour companies to go out of business. They feel that if we book a tour, we would lose our deposit if the company goes bankrupt.
So I do understand your concern. Does anyone know if Greek tourism is suffering along with the rest of the economy?
We can't decide whether to stick with our plan of private tour companies (more personalized attention) or pay more money for excursions through Princess.

jon_rwr Mar 11th, 2010 02:01 PM

>Does anyone know if Greek tourism is suffering along with the rest of the economy?<

I cannot speak for anywhere other than Mykonos but I know of a number of old and well established businesses that will not be opening this year. The reason given to me were higher rents, a lower income last summer and an expected downturn in visitors for 2010. They don't get the income, they can't pay the rent(s) and have less or nothing in reserve from last year to cushion them.

My friends there also told me of two well known hotels that are opening for the season with no bookings yet for that first week. Apparently, that's never happened before.

It may be the same on other islands but I don't know for sure.

Jon

ray_chello Jul 19th, 2010 02:08 AM

Save money with a currency card instead of getting your euros at the airport. I use Caxton FX because the rates are really good and they don't charge ATM fees when your abroad! I'm heading to greece this summer - I guess the more of us that go their and spend money the better!