Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Naples the worst city to visit in Europe ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Bill Fleites

Just came back from a three and a half week trip to Europe and have to say that Naples is by far the worst city that I've ever visited in Europe. Knowing full well the city's bad reputation I figured it couldn't really be that bad, right ? So I decided to give the city the benefit of the doubt and spend three days there. Well it's reputation as one of the worst cities to visit is well deserved.<BR><BR>In my opinion, there are only three things worth seeing in Naples.<BR>1. National Archeological Museum<BR>2. View of Mount Vesuvious and the beautiful bay<BR>3. Capella Sansevero<BR><BR>Here are my top ten reasons to skip Naples.<BR>1. The only city in Europe that I’ve visited where I did not feel safe being out at night alone. <BR>2. It has to be one of the dirtiest cities in the world. There's a tremendous amount of trash and cigarette butts on the sidewalks and streets. The smell of urine is just about everywhere you go.<BR>3. Large amounts of dog poop on the sidewalks and streets. Way more than Paris by a very long shot.<BR>4. A large number of loose, free running dogs. This city does not appear to have a dog catcher and humane society.<BR>5. The most unfriendly people, even when dealing with each other it is mostly in an argumentative aggressive style.<BR>6. Non-existent service for those they perceive as not being a native. They assume that you are either a visitor or a native idiot. In either case you are not to be assisted and served. I stood at a pizzeria’s counter for a few minutes being ignored by the attendants while they served the locals first, at which time I decided to take my business elsewhere.<BR>7. When you are serviced it is always with a frown. Not once was I serviced with a smile at any shop or ticket booth. The attitude always seemed to be one of "what the hell do you want".<BR>8. Stopping is optional for cars at traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings, even when the light is red. Mopeds never stop. You risk your life trying to cross at a pedestrian crosswalk that is not controlled by a traffic light. I noticed a strong police presence (at least there’s a large number of guys in fancy uniforms) but they seem to just stand by looking important while not enforcing any laws that I could see.<BR>9. Mopeds follow no rules. They do not have to obey any traffic lights, they may run on either the street or sidewalk, they may go in directions opposite to the normal traffic.<BR>10. Horns are to be used all the time, it is the most important equipment on any vehicle.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Uncle Sam

Bill,<BR><BR>It took you three days to learn this?<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:30 PM
tracy

Bill, You are so right. Although numbers 8 & 10 are prevalent in Rome as well. We came through Naples only to see the Archeological Museum and left after. We taxied from the train station, leaving our luggage there, directly to the museum and taxied right back in time for our train to Sorrento. Its a shame they feel they dont need tourism money. If it werent for the museum we would have never stopped. We had been warned about Naples and were glad we heeded this advice.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Jean

Thanks for the warning. My friend who is a travel agent (and therefore stays at all the best hotels) told me it was as close to being in a third world city as she cared to experience. We'll be staying in Sorrento...

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Napilophile

Bill! You spent three and one-half weeks in Europe and this is what you chose to post? Tell us what you loved about Europe! <BR><BR>It's funny...some of the reasons you list to skip Naples are exactly what I find so fascinating about the city. Guess it has to do with whether you see the glass half full or half empty.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:11 PM
O

"When you are serviced it is always with a frown. Not once was I serviced with a smile at any shop or ticket booth...."<BR><BR>The word "service" is not a verb in Europe. (Well, actually it is, but not in the context you mean. Cf. Jacques Bataille.)

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:03 PM
zzz

Napoliphile - You're fascinated with dog crap?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Terra

Dear Bill,<BR><BR>I am sorry you had such a bad experience there. I lived in Naples for a year-- very close to the center of the city and LOVED IT. Yes, it took a while to get used to some of the things you mention, but I found it a wonderful place to explore-- there is always the element of the unexpected there. I particularly liked it becuase of it's diversity to anywhere else I have ever known. 3 days is not enough to get past the more "difficult" elements that the city has to offer, which you mention in detail. But a walk through the lovely Floridiana, a visit to the San Carlo, walking through the hills in Posilipo, the view from San Martino-- the more hidden aspects of this city make it beautiful. This is why I think I like Naples... you must seek out the beauty, it doesn't hit you right away like in most "traditional" European cities. It isn't so obvious. Again, in 3 days that isn't possible. Also, I don't think it helps to be visiting this city on a tour of Europe or Italy-- you cannot help but compare it to the other places you visit. This city is so different, it needs to be seen in it's own light. <BR><BR>I am not disagreeing with your statements, just offering another perspective. Some places just take longer to understand-- which is why I love to travel! <BR><BR>Terra

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:36 PM
www.vacationtechnician.com

Sorry you had such a bad time in Naples...Initially, I had the same feelings as I rode the train from Pompeii to the main staion. That is the side of town to avoid for sure. However, once we made our way to the area of town opposite (further northwest) our opinion of Naples changed 180 degrees for the better! A beautiful marina, super shopping, wonderful cafes...and genuinely friendly Italians!<BR><BR>better luck next time..<BR>www.vacationtechnician.com

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Bill Fleites

Uncle Sam,<BR>It took me exactly one minute to realize I had made a mistake in deciding to spend some time in Naples. This minute occurred when I got to the hotel (the Parteno B & B which is one of the best areas of the city, right in front of the bay a few blocks away from the Santa Lucia marina and the Castel dell’Ovo) and I had to ring a bell outside the building to be let into the building. Then I took the elevator to the first floor where the hotel was, and wait while the attendant unlocked the front door to the hotel to let me in. I could not just skip Naples even after the first night because the Parteno B&B would have required payment for those nights, for any one using this B&B they should beware that their cancellation policy is horrendous (2 weeks notice I believe). <BR>Once I saw what an unpleasant place this city was, I changed my plans and used it to make day trips out of it to Pompeii and Capri. I used one and a half days to explore Naples itself and as I said did not find much to look at other than the three things I mentioned before. I knew my decision to spend some time in Naples was a risky one from the start, but never in my wildest dreams did I think that this place would be as bad as it was.<BR><BR>Tracy,<BR>You are correct in that Rome also suffers from some of the same ills as Naples.<BR>Fortunately for us, Rome has so many wonderful ancient sites, churches, piazzas, and monuments that it is a delight to visit. Perhaps more importantly, the locals in Rome are much more friendlier and kind to tourists.<BR><BR>Tracy and Jean, <BR>Good move on staying in Sorrento. I spent three days there also at a much less fancier hotel (Hotel del Corso) but enjoyed my stay there. You can get everywhere you need to get to from Sorrento as easily as from Naples and you will be safe and welcomed there.<BR><BR>Napilophile,<BR>Yes I know I should post my positive experiences (which were far greater), and I will when I get some time. But this negative experience was so strong that I felt I needed to share with others quickly to save them wasting their time on this place. By the way, Naples is the first city that I’ve visited to which I never, ever want to go back to. So for me the Naples glass is totally empty.<BR><BR>Terra,<BR>Sorry, I cannot see spending another minute in Naples, as I said I spent three nights there and not only was the place a mess, I never really felt welcomed or safe. I really think that the city’s government or the population don’t care or understand that tourism could be a valuable asset to their city, and thus I saw very little effort on their part to make outsiders welcome to their city.<BR><BR>www.vacationtechnician.com<BR>I did stay in the better part of Naples (Parteno B&B right by the harbor) walking down the streets by the harbor there are all kinds of four and five star hotels. You are right in that there are worst parts of Naples, and I even walked thru these since I like to explore all parts of any city I visit. But even the best part of Naples is basically bad. There will definitely not be a next time for me in Naples.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Ken

You fault the Parteno for providing security when you did not feel safe? You are right, it would be better if you stayed away from Napoli.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:49 AM
carol

Last year I spent two glorious weeks in Naples and fell in love with the city. As a native New Yorker, I felt completely at home. What an extraordinarily vibrant town it is--and the people were so warm and friendly. I could never stand at a bus stop for more than a minute or two without getting involved in an enthusiastic exchange with a housewife or student or salesperson. And the passagiata at the Piazza Plebiscito and Via Roma at 5 pm when the entire city comes out to go shopping is total chaos and totally delightful. By the way, the food was absolutely marvelous--oh those pastries--and ooh the exquisite seafood...not to mention the gelato and the pizza. And my hosts at the Hotel Miramare made me feel like one of the family and couldn't have been more courteous, solicitous, and charmingly protective. I rode all over town on the buses, did lots of shopping, saw a marvelous opera performance at San Carlo, visited the wonderful porcelain collection at the Villa Floridiana, took a great ride up to San Martino, went, of course, to the great Capodimonte museum and the archaeological museum. Had a fabulous time at the gigantic flea market in the Villa Communale and bought lots of things at excellent prices. Bought a gorgeous pair of gold earrings at the Piazza dei Martiri. As you can see, I couldn't disagree more with Bill and wanted to give Fodorites a bit of the opposite view. Terra, I agree with all your comments which were expressed so well. BTW, I really couldn't stand Sorrento which has become, IMO, a total tourist town and keeps reminding me of a suburban town on Long Island. So Viva Napoli, long may it thrive.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Paul

Carol: I liked very much your positive spin on Napoli. I didn't want to count it out in my future first time trip to Italy. I am curious to know whether you can speak any Italian or suggest knowing a few words to get some worm response from the locals.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Joyce

I spent 3 days in Naples last year, and did not experience any of the problems you did. <BR><BR>I walked all over the city, and did not see a single roaming dog. <BR><BR>In terms of cleanliness, I saw nothing unusual about Naples. I did not notice any trash or dog poop on the ground.<BR><BR>I am a single woman who was traveling alone, and I felt very safe walking alone throughout the city. <BR><BR>I received consistently polite service in restaurants. Also, when I stopped people on the street to ask directions, everyone I stopped was unfailingly polite and helpful, even I knew only about 10 words of Italian and was obviously an American.<BR><BR>I have lived in big cities all my life, so maybe I just accustomed to large urban environments.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Rita

Bill Fleites, something else must have happened to make you so enthusiastic about condemning Naples. Your ego must have been bruised or shaken, maybe you are a controlling person who doesn't want to feel out of control in a place and Naples wouldn't yield. Otherwise you would just decide not to return and leave it at that, but to carry on so makes me wonder. <BR>

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:19 AM
rob

Rita: "Your ego must have been bruised or shaken, maybe you are a controlling person." Get a grip. I found Bill's negative comments and the many positive comments regarding Naples<BR>informative. What is wrong with hearing the pros and cons?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Rita

Because he is so adamant about it. Haven't you been some place and did not like it especially and decided not to return? I can see if he was actually robbed or attacked, but he wasn't.<BR> <BR>You all know already that Naples isn't Disneyland, so what is the news?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:48 AM
michele

I'm with Carol on all counts.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Carol

I've been to Naples three times: first in the 1960's when I was 16, then in the 1970's for several days when traveling around Italy for a month with a friend, and finally a year ago when I was there for just one night before flying home. I don't claim to be an expert on Naples. From the first visit what I remember most was the expansive, melodramatic, outgoing manner of the people. From the second what stands out is the visit to the outstanding archeological museum. Last year my Sicilian-born cousins who now live in Umbria came to Naples to be with me for the day and we walked around together, visiting a few attractions a short walk away from my hotel and strolling around both by the sea and in the Spaccanapoli. What struck all of us was the incredible cleanliness of the place, which would put most american and Italian cities to shame. My cousins, who'd lived in both Milan and Switzerlqnd, had heard plenty of anti-Naples comments from their former neighbors and were expecting the worst. They kept saying, "Where's the dirt?" There was NO litter, NO dog droppings, and the streets looked freshly swept. I have no idea how often the streets are cleaned, and perhaps we were fortunate to see the city just after it was cleaned and you saw it just before a long-overdue sweeping. But when I saw it last year in early June it was immaculate. In my limited time there I found the people friendly, courteous, accommodating, and eager to serve (I did speak Italian at all times, though not perfectly), and sensed no danger from the people (though I was extra careful, as I would am in ANY large city). However, I trhought the traffic was wild and chaotic and my greatest fear was crossing the street.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Doug Weller

We loved Naples. Vibrant, alive, etc. We used public transportation and had no problems.<BR><BR>The people were friendly, the food was great. The horns were noisy and the Mopeds all over the place, sure.<BR><BR>I didn't find it unusually dirty, certainly not smelly.<BR><BR>It's worth visiting just to see S.Lorenzo Maggiore, a lovely medieval church dating from the 14th century where the pavement of the Paleochristian basilica has been uncovered and below that level are to be found the remains of the Roman curia, the street and the Greek shops, all of which are visible. A unique site/sight.<BR>http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/naples/San_Lorenzo.html<BR>Doug<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -