Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is my Slovenia/Croatia itinerary too robust? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-my-slovenia-croatia-itinerary-too-robust-1645127/)

rubygott Jan 7th, 2018 01:55 PM

Is my Slovenia/Croatia itinerary too robust?

Below is my planned itinerary to date for Slovenia/Croatia mid June, 2018. I need to know whether I'm trying to cram too much in and if so, what would you cut out. I'm trying desperately to keep the trip to under 2 weeks (11-13 days max).

Wed. NYC- arrive Ljubjana (probably leave Tuesday night to get there Wed. if possible)
Th. day trip to Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj
Fri. day trip through Julian Alps
Sat. day at leisure in Ljubjana (walking tour)
Sun. Depart for Plitvice arrive mid-day, half day in park; overnight Plitvice
Mon. 1/2 day in park; depart for Trojir, stop at Krka Waterfalls, overnight Trojir
Tues. Day in Trojir, afternoon depart for Split port for ferry to Hvar overnight Hvar
Wed. Island tour, Pakleni Islands, Overnight Hvar
Thurs. Free day Hvar area, Overnight Hvar (suggestions?)
Fri. Depart Hvar for Dubrovnik, overnight Dubrovnik
Sat. Free day in Dubrovnik, walking tour
Sun. Day trip to Montenegro or island hopping tour from Dubrovnik (suggestion as to which)?
Mon. Depart Dubrovnik - NYC

kja Jan 7th, 2018 03:22 PM

IMO, this itinerary is generally doable, assuming you realize that it is rather fast-paced, and that you are skipping a lot, and are comfortable with that.

The biggest problem I see is with your transition from Ljubljana to Trogir. How are you planning to make that journey? If you are planning to rent a car, I trust you realize that you will pay an arm and a leg for renting in Slovenia and dropping off in Croatia. If you are taking public transportation, or if you plan to return one car in Slovenia and pick up another in Croatia, I don’t think you are giving yourselves enough time to get to the Plitvice Lakes.

If you don’t get to the Plitvice Lakes until late in the day, you could wait until the next day to visit the park itself. I recommend a single loop of 6 hours or more. Depending on when you start, you might be able to finish and still drive to Trogir before sunset, but not with a stop at the Krka National Park.

If you are planning to drive, I strongly recommend that you switch your plans for Ljubljana so that you don’t need to drive until Friday. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of cause célèbre for me….

Hope that helps!

rialtogrl Jan 7th, 2018 07:41 PM

You aren’t going to spend any time in Split? That bit where you go to Plitvice, Krka and end in Trogir, and the next day where you spend a couple of hours in Trogir before speeding off to Hvar seem the parts of your itinerary that look a little hectic. Also I am with kja, I am not sure if you plan to drive to Bled, but maybe it is better to sat in Ljubljana for the day of leisure first off. Then Bled and the Julian alps after.

Those day trips to Montenegro are long days. You can wait and see how your energy is.

neckervd Jan 8th, 2018 02:51 AM

In addition to the excellent answers and suggestions above:

Plan carefully your trip through the Julian Alps. What about a 2days trip with a stopover at Bled?
Or go to Bled directly after landing (20 kms, may be by taxi, otherwise with a bus change at Kranj), the distance from the airport to Bled is only slightly longer than that to Ljubljana city center.

A stopover at Korcula or Mljet on your way from Hvar to Dubrovnik might be easier than a "Islands hopping tour" from Dubrovnik (unless you want just go from Dubrovnik to Lopud and back).