We are planning a trip in September covering Cinque Terre with the Riviera Towns near Cinque Terre, Lake Como area with a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland), Milan with day trips to Verona, Lake Maggiore and St. Moritz (Switzerland).
We will arrive to Civitavecchia by a cruise ship early morning on September 10.
Since we’ve already traveled to Rome, Florence, Venice, and Siena before and will visit Livorno (planning to take a trip to Pisa and Lucca) and Genoa from the cruise ship we will take a train from Civitavecchia to Monterosso al Mare with change of trains in La Spezia.
Here is my itinerary:
Sept.10. Arrive to Monterosso.
Sept.10- 15. Stay 5 nights in Monterosso. Hiking/taking train/boat between 5 villages, swimming, a day trip to Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino.
Sept. 15. Take a train to Milan, continue to the Lakes area (Varenna).
Sept.15-Sept 19. Stay 4 nights in Varenna exploring Lake Como area and take a day trip to Lugano (Switzerland).
Sept. 19. Take a train to Milan.
Sept. 19-Sept. 24. Stay 5 nights in Milan. Explore Milan (2 days) and take a day trip to Maggiore (Train to Stresa, boat to Isola Belle, Isola Superiore), tale a day trip to Verona, take a day tour to St. Moritz (Switzerland) by Viator.
Sept.24. Fly out of Milan International Airport (MXP).
I know this itinerary is not perfect since it is entirely based on the info I found on the Internet and Rick Steves “Italy” book (2016 edition).
I am looking forward to your feedback with suggestions on how to make it better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 2 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 3 Hertz, Lisbon, Fraud Warning
- 4 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 5 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 6 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 7 Paris November 2017
- 8 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 9 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 10 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 11 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 12 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 13 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 14 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 15 Barcelona to Malaga
- 16 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 17 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 18 Christmas week in Ireland
- 19 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 20 Salerno as a base to visit Amalfi Coast
- 21 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 22 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 23 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 24 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 25 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report