Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is my itinerary reasonable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-my-itinerary-reasonable-404110/)

raisincane Feb 26th, 2004 08:15 PM

Is my itinerary reasonable?

Will this schedule give us time to explore museums, historical sites some hiking & do some touristy things? We aren't into shopping..
Arrive Shannon 7:30 A.M. April 21st, Drive to Doolin or Ballyvaughn 1st nite.
22nd & 23rd Connemera area( What would be a good base to explore this area? ) Will we have time to go to Inisbofin Island?
24th Overnite in Portumna ?
25th Overnite in Cahir (reservations made here)
26th Overnite in Kinsale?
27th Overnite somewhere in Bantry area
28th Overnite near Dingle?
29th Overnite Kilrush or Kilkee ( Do Cliffs of Moher this day or on the 21st when we arrive on way to Doolin?)
30th Last nite in Bunratty (reservations made) Fly back to Colorado Sat 1st of May departure at 1:00 p.m.
Will lodging be a problem (B&B's) this time of year?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions...If anyone has any "to die for" places to eat, things to see & do, etc.etc.

Mushed Feb 27th, 2004 08:20 AM

You're packing it in! Bear in mind that Irish roads are slow - EVERYTHING is slow in Ireland. Cashel House Hotel in Connemera is good. Great place to stay in Bantry is the Bantry Bay House Hotel - quirky and interesting.

MaryZ Feb 27th, 2004 01:15 PM

It looks like you'll have 10 nights in Ireland. Is that right? What about trying something like this:

21st: Doolin or Ballyvaughan

22, 23, 24: Clifden (good jumping off point for Inishbofin). Maybe the third night in Galway

25: Kilkee or Kilrush

26 & 27: Dingle

28: Kinsale

29: Cahir/Cashel

30: Bunratty

Or, you could spend just two nights in Connemara/Galway and add a second night to the Kinsale visit. You still have a lot of one-night stops in your schedule, but not quite as many.

raisincane Feb 27th, 2004 03:42 PM

Thanks Mushed & Mary Z... The one night stops had me worried - Like the suggestion you gave MaryZ.. Will check out Bantry Bay House- sound Cool!

mexicobeachbum Feb 27th, 2004 03:47 PM

I agree with the above comments. Try to stay 2 or 3 nights and see that area, especially if you want to do some hiking, or you'll spend all your time packing, unpacking, and driving. 60 or 80 miles in Ireland can be half a days' driving sometimes.

raisincane Feb 27th, 2004 04:01 PM

Hey guys! How long will the drive take from Cahir/Cashel to Bunratty? Can you miss Limerick (or would you want to do that)?

Budman Feb 27th, 2004 05:23 PM

The drive is about an hour or so. I would recommend going to Bunratty, visiting the park, shopping, doing Mac's Pub, Durty Nellie's, and/or going to the Medieval Banquet. ((b))

DavidD Feb 28th, 2004 07:48 AM

raisin,

As suggested by previous postings, including yourself, you've an overabundance of one-night stops. Part of rural Ireland's charm is its leisurely, toss-out-the-clock pace.

Concerning Connemara, Clifden would make a fine base from which to explore Inishbofin. While Clifden itself is by no means noteworthy, it does offer some good accommodations. (The Quay House is one that immediately comes to mind).The ferry to Inishbofin island leaves from nearby Cleggan. The island features some good beaches, along with the chance to do some seal watching.

While in Cahir, do make a point of driving north to visit the Rock of Cashel, one of the country's most impressive historic sites.

Further south, try to allow two overnights in the attractive, upmarket Kinsale. Here you'll want to spend the better part of a day exploring the town, including a walk out to Charles Fort, and then a full day touring the highly scenic and relaxed West Cork countryside. Enjoy villages such as Glandore, Castletownshend, Schull, and, finally, on to Mizen Head.

Lastly, by all means save a minimum of two nights for Dingle. You'll want a full day exploring Slea Head. If the weather gods are on your side, take the ferry ride out to the Great Blasket Island. Evacuated in the early 50s, the island has a fascinating literary history. Back on the mainland, visit the very fine museum about the Blasket Islands. It'll make your visit to the island all the more rewarding.

One possible itinerary:

21st: Ballyvaughn

22, 23rd: Connemara

24th: E. Galway (try to visit the wonderful monastic site, Clonmacnoise, in nearby Co. Offaly);

25th: Cahir

26, 27th: Kinsale

28, 29th: Dingle

30th: Finish at Bunratty

Best of luck.

raisincane Feb 28th, 2004 09:06 AM

David D
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.
How long would it take to drive from E Galway to Cahir? My son & I considered skipping the nite in Cahir (Skip this part of the trip & spend more time along the coast) & adding 2 nites to Kinsale...Any thoughts on this?

DavidD Feb 28th, 2004 07:19 PM

raisin,

You could drive from East Galway to Cahir in about two hours.

I think the idea of dedicating a couple overnights in Kinsale is sound.

Best of luck.

P.S. Should you make it to West Cork, make a point of having lunch at Mary Ann's in Castletownshend. It's a swell place to have a bite and a few pints.