Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a cruise that arrives in Barcelona on May Day. Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona? Will it be more crowded than usual at the train station or just a normal day congestion-wise? Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:54 AM

Labor Day is a big deal in almost all of europe. Check to see what is operating and on what type of schedule.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM

It's just another public National Holiday. The city will be no more crowded than usual. The only thing that might happen would be a labor strike, but then they are generally announced in advance so as not to interfere with lunch.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:01 AM

I don't get the reference to the train station, but would you not go somewhere in the US because it was Labor Day? Sure, it's a national holiday, but it doesn't affect things that much. And if people are going on holiday due to a long weekend, they often go the day before. Although May 1st is a Friday next year, so some folks might be leaving that morning.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:26 AM

There will be a demonstration on May 1st in the city centre. They are usually in the morning, and they are usually not very crowded (probably less crowded than usual, because it's a Friday). Only if the government decided to pass some new labour law restricting worker's rights would the demonstration be big and probably cause nuisances.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:16 AM

All museums and stores will be closed. Perhaps tourist shops will stay open.. but not sure.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We wouldn't not go because it was a holiday but my experience traveling in the States tells me to plan further in advance for hotels and transportation on holidays. Good to know that some businesses will be closed for planning purposes & I will keep my fingers crossed there will be no political issues.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 05:23 PM

In the US the Labor Day weekend is a long weekend that is the end of summer (first Monday in Sept) and everything is open and busy with lots of special sales.

Commuter trains will probably be on a weekend schedule. But since out labor movement is moribund there are no parades or actual celebration of the working person.