Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is making travel arrangement online safe?

Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

It's been years since I traveled to Italy and always used travel agents. I'm now going on a trip alone to Venice and I'm concerned about making the reservations on line. I'm using expedia.com which has a really good hotel and airline package. Are my fears there just because I never made online trip arrangements? Thanks for any reassurance you can give me. By the way, has anyone ever stayed at the Boscolo Hotel Bellini? Also, I'm 58 and traveling alone. Any tips on that. Thanks
Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
ira

Hi Joan,

Expedia is a reputable company. There is no more danger than speaking to a travel agent over the phone.

"Also, I'm 58 and traveling alone. Any tips on that."

"NO" in Italian is "NO".
Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
ira

PS,
"YES" is "SI".
Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. I see you name on this board a lot and you always seem so helpful and knowledgeable and have a good sense of humor. Thanks again.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:18 PM

I have used Expedia quite few times..Also I buy my Airlines tickets and make all my travel reservations on line..Never had any trouble.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:38 PM

Some people have reported that Expedia failed to contact the hotel to tell them about the reservation. I would suggest that if you do use Expedia, that you phone the hotel a few days later to confirm your reservation.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:56 PM

I have used Expedia in the states numerous times but not for overseas travel. I had a problem with a hotel in Corpus Christi, Texas. It was right next to an oil refinery but of course there are lots of refineries in the area. We didn't end up staying in that hotel and I think we had a $50 cancellation fee. We were on a hotel/air package. I think if you aren't familiar with an area you need to research as much as possible before you book. I find it cheaper lots of time to book air and hotel through them than booking air only from any airlines.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

In addition to Expedia, I've learned that Travelocity has the same problem with reservations. To be certain, it would be good to contact the hotel and confirm the reservation.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Personally, at first I didn't think the crash today was related to terrorism. But the I then that both Blair and Musbark were vacationing near this resort area and I have to assume now that terrorism might have been the cause.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
lyb

YawnBoring....

How does your message relate to booking travel on line?

Responded to the wrong message?
Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM

lyb,
No, I didn't reply to the wrong thread.

If you've been around these boards you would know about the censorship of the Danny and his monkeys, so sometimes one has to reply to different, semi-related threads.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
lyb

I've been around these boards and I know the censorship...and maybe it has its place.

This is a travel board...not a political board.

Now back to the REAL subject......the only thing that bothers me about booking with Expedia is that you have to pay everything upfront. Not even a deposit and then the entire amount 30 days or so before the departure date. I don't feel comfortable with that.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:03 PM

Could someone explain how a post about the airline crash in Egypt is "semi-related" to booking travel arrangements online?

What an idiot you are Yawnboring.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM

Dear Joan
As many other posters have said, expedia is reputable. I booked a hotel and airline package online last summer through American Airlines Vacations. I had the same fear as you, so I contacted both the airline (by phone) and the resort (by email) for conformation. Had no problems at all, but I do agree it's a good idea to talk to a "person" to make sure everything went through.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks soooo much for all the helpful advice. I feel much better about it now. I will take the advice about calling the airline and e-mailing the hotel. Excellent ideas. Thanks again.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM

I have never had problems with expedia and travel 6 times or more a year. Get the comformation # works ever time.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM

I have made my own reseravtions online for about 7 years now. Only problem I had with Expedia (and it was a BIG one) was when I had to reschedule several flights due to an injury of mine. It was a MAJOR hassle. Read the fine print on the specific airline or hotel's cancellation or change policy BEFORE you buy a ticket or make a reservation. Honestly, if you just search around for airfares on Expedia, you can usually book the same discount price (MINUS THE $5 extra that Expedia charges!) for the flight you want on the airline's own website. I did that last year for Northwest. (Does not work for Czech Air and some other European airlines because of certain restrictions about buying one-way tickets in Europe...)
Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:10 PM

Most tourist facilities in Europe now have telephones, fax and email services. Many have web page. Confirm your arrangements.
Cancellation and refund problems arise because some people make multiple bookings or simply don't show. Space is committed but is not claimed. Operators have solved that problem by requiring pre-pay. The line between theater and sporting venue tickets and hotel rooms is grey. No-shows are another reason for over-booking practices.
Jan 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi Joan,

Now that you are in a more confident frame of mind, do an internet search to see if you can get the same or similar flight and accomodations for less.

Try http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm for ticket info.

Do a text search here for "venice AND hotel" for lodgings.

Have a great trip
Jan 4th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I'm with Ira. Be SURE to check the prices of the flights and accomodations directly. I've found lately that prices booking directly are MUCH less than the Expedia packages. And, you can often find flights at more convenient times. And, usually you don't have to prepay the hotel portion.

I've never had a problem with Expedia bookings (though they can be quite impossible to reach by phone whereupon you get someone who's not too helpful unless you're quite persistent), it's been a very long time since I've found any really good deals there. Often their hotel rates, for example, are significantly higher than booking directly or through various other resources.

Whenever booking through any third party, confirm all reservations directly with the provider (airlines, hotel, etc.).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO