Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Mad King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein castle in Germany a Must See??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 06:30 AM
Rahul Ramchandani

Hi everyone, <BR> <BR>Is Mad King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein castle in Germany a must see? <BR> <BR>What about Mad King Ludwig's Linderhof Castle and gardens? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Rahul Ramchandani

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 09:06 AM
tom

Rahul, <BR>I have been to Neuschwanstein twice and enjoyed both trips. There are tours in German and English, maybe others as well. While this fairy tale castle is beautiful, enchanting and the location is absolutely georgous, it is not a MUST see, but one that is well worth your while. You will also enjoy the trip from Munich and stop at Fussen as well.

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 09:26 AM
Lee

Rahul: If you are into castles and I guess that I am, then you should see it. <BR> <BR>If you are in say, Berlin, don't make a trip JUST to go there, but is you are in the area, by all means, you should stop. <BR> <BR>King Ludwig built three castles: Neuschwanstein near Fussen and Schwangau Linderhof, which is very close to Oberammergau and Garmisch and also Herrenchiemsee which is just east of Munich. All are different and all are beautiful. <BR> <BR>I'd pick up some literature on all three and see if it suits you. I'b be suprised if it doesn't. I have been to Neuschwanstein and Linderhof a couple of times and will go to Herrenchiemsee for the first time during out next trip in May. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 02:14 PM
Aurora

All are interesting, each is different. <BR>Herrenchiemsee is set on an island, and you take a boat out to it. Linderhof is the smallest and it is exquisite. Ludiwg had a thing about being Louis XIV reincarnated, and this jewel-box of a castle was his attempt to prove it with all sorts L-L monograms (Louis and Ludwig) everywhere you look. But Neuschwanstein is the piece de resistance. A real nutty combination of money and imagination. Not all that old, either. Give yourself a couple days, and you can take in all three.

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 02:35 PM
wes fowler

Rahul, <BR>If you travel to see Neuschwanstein, by all means visit the Wieskirche, which very definitely is a "must see". It's a pilgrimage church near Steingaden on the way to Ludwig's castle and is probably the most important piece of baroque art and architecture in Europe. Seeing it is an astounding experience.

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:59 AM
Anna

The outside of the castle and surrounding scenery are beautiful. Ludwig died before the inside of the castle was enitrely completed, so the inside may be a little disappointing. If you are not in good physical shape, take either the bus or one of the horse carriages to the top, otherwise it is a long uphill walk. Ludwig's parent's castle and boyhood home is on a hilltop below Neuschwanstein, it is called Hohenschwangau and can be visited along with Ludwig's. Hohenschwangau is entirely furnished which makes it a nice contrast to Neuschwanstein. Make sure you take the short walk to Mary's Bridge after you tour the Ludwig's. We took a day trip from Munich which included Schloss Linderhof and Neuschwanstein, Linderhof is smaller, but it is completely furnished - there is also a grotto there. Unfortunately, being on a bus tour, we were hurried and were unable to see the grotto.

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 03:55 PM
George

Rahul, <BR>It's a MUST SEE! If you don't, you will wish you did. I've been there three times and I know in the last 10 years, I've seen pictures or on TV a hundred times, and each time I say, "Been there; done that."

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:33 PM
Bob

I agree with all the others. Neuschwanstein is a fun place to see. The climb to get there can be tough so take a bus or horse and buggy if you do now want to walk. Linderhof also great on a clear summer day. The grotto very interesting to see. I also agree with the comment on the church at Wies. We saw it on a day when no one was around. Very beautiful and unusual to be in such a small town area. If you go to Neuschawn, this is an easy and worthwhile addition. Just retd from Germany last week. <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 06:13 AM
Aurora

Hardly any distance from the Wieskirche is one of the largest and best woodcarving shops in Bavaria. It's a fairly large, chalet-type building with the big words "Holzschnitzerei" painted on it in Gothic-style letters.

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 10:05 AM
Steve Murphy

Rahul, <BR>I agree with others that N'stein is not <BR>a must see but is worth your while. <BR>Concerning Linderhoff, I think you should visit it too. It is near the <BR>charming village of Oberammergau <BR>where I lived. Take some time to see Oberammergau. Recommended: climb the Kofel mountain. There's a path to the <BR>top. Have a drink on the terrace of the <BR>Friedenshohe (sp?) and watch the sun go down. <BR> <BR>I've done all this and it's great. <BR>Regards, <BR>Steve

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 08:23 PM
FRED MC

YES LUDWIG CASTLE NEUSCHWANSTEIN IS SOMETHING TO SEE. IF YOU STAY AT HOTEL ALPENROSE YOU WON'T BE SORRY. FUSSEN IS WORTH A VISIT AND IT HAS A TRAIN STATION.TAKE A TRAIN TO AUSBURG OR A DRIVE TO INNSBROOK. I WENT IN DEC. AND THE SNOW WAS LIKE A FAIRY LAND DREAM <BR>

Old Dec 25th, 1998, 06:01 AM
Doug

I'm going to visit Neuschie for the 8th time on 12/30. I'm still impressed everytime I see it. It's been 10 years since my last visit. I hope they finally finished it. (That's a joke)

Old Dec 25th, 1998, 03:20 PM
Maira

Rahul: I wouldn't considered it a must see unless you want to really get into the history of the Bavarian region. If you are, then you not only must visit, but you should also try to make it to Linderhoff and Herrenchiemsee. We visited Neuschwanstein Castle on the same day we went to Linderhoff and somehow you enjoyed more the visit when you have a broader perspective of Ludwig's fantasies. <BR> <BR>If you are not really interested in that sort of detail then it really isn't a must see, but a fun sight to go. The walk up the hill is tough, specially if is raining, so have an umbrella handy. There can be quite a line; if there is I would skip going in (dissapointing!), and go instaed to Mary's Bridge up the road. Amazing spot to take pictures of the Castle.