Curling Iron and Hair Dryer

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I arrive at Malpensa for a month in June (our 3rd trip, first stop Stresa) she would like to purchase a curling iron and hair dryer for Italy use, any suggestions? thanks for you help
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Buy one in the States before you leave. They are very reasonable. Get dual voltage ones, and you can use them all the time. If you buy one in Italy, chances are it will only be 220V.

The only thing you will need is the plug adaptor for use in Europe.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM
lm

We are leaving in a few days for Italy and we were just going to buy a cheap hairdryer over there so we didn't have to deal with the convertors. ( We fried one once in Barcelona) but it turns out the hotels we are staying at all have hairdryers. For a curling iron, I bought a Braun cordless for about $21.00. It runs off a propane cartridge. Have a great trip
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM

I will respectfully disagree with Budman re the value of dual-voltage hair appliances. I don't use a curling iron, but have purchased a 220v hairdryer for use in Europe and it was a very worthwhile investment of about $20.

Dual voltage dryers only operate on "low" when switched to 220, and I've read about curling irons melting or burining people's hair, so I think your wife's idea is a good one. Unfortunately, I'm unable to give you specific recommendations re where to purchase, other than in advance via mail order from www.houseof220.com

If you type "hair dryer AND Italy" in the text box, you will pull up a surprising number of threads which may be helpful. You can always search for a small appliance shop in Malpensa via www.paginegialle.it (Italy's on-line yellow pages.)

Buona fotuna!

Old May 7th, 2003, 08:54 AM

I agree with Lesli, and I'm one who had a dual voltage curling iron with the proper plug adapter, melt on me. Similarly, my d.v. hair dryer usually runs anemically, whether I use the dual voltage feature, or use the American voltage plus a converter. Other people on the other hand do have more success with hair applicances than I've had.
Nowadays I mostly hope that my hotel will provide a dryer.

If they don't sell them at Malpensa, perhaps your Stresa hotel could suggest a place to purchase.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:00 AM

My wife had the cordless hair curling iron with the propane cartridge, and it was a piece of junk. I bought her a 110/220 this past Christmas, and it worked great in Paris and she uses it at home.

Lesli, I don't know what brand of dual voltage hair dryer you are talking about, but my wife's works wonderfully on slow, medium, and high, on both 110/220V.

Same with the electric travel iron. We have a 110/220V we use for both trips to Europe and Stateside.

If you want to spend the $20 for a 220V hair dryer and another $20 for a 220V curling iron to use only in Europe, and that makes you feel good, go for it.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Budman
can you tell me what brand or model your wife's hairdryer is?
I'm buying one!
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:36 AM
cd

Budman
And brand of curling iron. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I bought a hair dryer in a French supermarket several years ago. For $20 (probably a bit less), I think it is a worthwhile investment, particularly if you travel frequently--just be sure to have a selection of plug adapters.

I have stayed in European hotels with built-in hair dryers, but some of them only managed to produce a lukewarm asthmatic wheeze, so I was very glad that I had my 220V dryer with me.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Almost no dual voltage appliances work as well on the 220 setting as they do on 110. So they work great in the States and are very anemic in Europe - most will default to low setting when set at 220.

And dual voltage curling irons are almost useless on 220 - they will only heat up to a very low temp -- or just blow up.

So if your wife has thick or long hair and needs full power or heat you should just wait until you are in Italy and buy ones built for over there.

All my daual voltage things work fine at home - but I have quit taking them overseas because they are such a pain. Especially the curling iron.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:18 AM

cd, the curling iron is a Conair - not sure about the hair dryer.

The more I think about it, I probably should have stayed off this thread -- I don't want to get in the way of a woman and her hair products. One size certainly doesn't fit all.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:32 AM

My wife just uses the ones the hotel provides. Sometimes takes a little longer if the hotel hair dryer is a bit weak (most have been just fine), but who's in a rush? Each of us is responsible for carrying her/his own suitcase, so non-essentials quickly disappeared from her packing list. Of course, I do end up carrying her suitcase too, but I made it clear that if I do end up carrying it, anything I deem non-essential goes into the trash wherever we are.

Hair dryer = non-essential.
Black lace lingerie = essential.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM

does your wife get to bring her black lace lingerie as well?
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Elaine - that is priceless!!!
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I have a Conair dual voltage blow dryer and a Conair dual voltage (no switch, self adjusting) curling iron I've used at home for many years and both work well in Europe.

If you buy them over there, you still have to pack them.

I prefer the ones I'm used to using at home.

I find the hotel provided dryers are slow and always in the bathroom, often awkwardly located with short cords/hoses. Besides, it's right when my husband is in the shower I want to dry my hair - I'd just rather do it in the bedroom. My dual voltage Conair runs only on low when switched, but it's just like high at home.

Biggest advantage of bringing your own is that it's just faster to use appliances you're used to using every day.

You can see the current Conair models at www.conair.com - but they're available everywhere (my local drugstore has many of them).

I also love my dual voltage Franzus clothing steamer. Small, lightweight, does a great job.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I have two dual voltage hair dryers and they both work fine and I've never had a problem with them. I have very long, thick hair and need a good hair dryer so would notice if they didn't work as well at 220V. I prefer them because I can use them wherever I travel, not just in Europe. I think the frying may be due to bad wiring in a hotel, possibly? Anyway, I have one Clairol which I've used for 20 yrs with no problem, and a new CVS model I got just because it was cute and on sale. I haven't used that one so much yet, of course.

I think when they are on 220V, I can't switch them to high but the low switch works like a high switch then. Anyway, they are plenty strong enough at 220V if they can dry my hair.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:42 PM

My wife used a Conair curling ironw/adaptor in France recently and it worked just fine. She was quite panicky about this working or not and was most relieved when it did. I was panicky about the black lace lingerie working or not and was most relieved when it did!
JoeG
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:08 PM

I lived in Germany for 10 years and bought a Conair multi voltage that self adjusts. I bought it for $7.00 and it still works every place I visit in Europe and USA. I never had any problems. Easy to find in Sally's
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I've tried almost everything in hair appliances; I have long blonde hair that is wavy and can frizz with damp weather so I prefer to blow it straight and use a flat iron or curling iron to pull straight. My hair dryer which is a Philips Allure 1600 watts duel voltage stays at full power on 220. I just turn the switch, change the plug head (adaptor) and I'm all set. I also have taken a HOT TOOLS curling iron which had a built in convertor like camcorder rechargers, so again all I needed was th adaptor plug. Recently I purchased a BABYLISS narrow flat iron which also has a built in convertor and it worked at full power both here and in the Caribbean (French island). My othr tip is to take an extension cord but I've found too often that the mirror is on one wall and the outlet on another and the appliance cord isn't long enough.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Just repeating what a couple of other people have written. The conair dual voltage curling iron is WONDERFUL....no problem at all, it is self adjusting to the voltage, here in US or oveseas.
You MUST however take an adapter for the plug...You can buy a kit at the suitcase section of WalMart, Target etc that has several different adapters and the country written on it. I have used the Con Air curling iron in England,Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Belgium, Italy and they get just as hot as what they are set,..the same as in the United States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -