Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is London at Christmas a good idea? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-london-at-christmas-a-good-idea-68026/)

Marco Apr 10th, 2000 01:36 PM

Is London at Christmas a good idea?

We are going to London on Dec. 26, and are worried that everything will be closed due to the holiday. Does anyone have any experience in London during the holiday season.

Richard Apr 10th, 2000 01:41 PM

My experience dates back to 1984, but on 12/26, Boxing Day, everything was closed down, including the underground. A few restaurants, and I emphasize 'few', were open.

kathy Apr 10th, 2000 05:32 PM

Our family of four arrived in London on December 26, 1995. Very few restaurants and no stores were open. the hotel manager told us that Boxing Day was a big family holiday. We took the underground to the Picadilly Circus area and found a few fast food places open. But we were tired and jet-lagged so it didn't really matter. We went back to our hotel and had a good nite's rest. That was our first family trip to Europe and we had the time of our lives.

lola Apr 10th, 2000 05:39 PM

I assume you will be there more than Boxing Day. The decorations are delightful and the pantomime shows, an old tradition, are a special part of the season. I think it's a wonderful time to visit London--pubs are pubbier, cultural events are at a height, crowds are thinner, and usually it isn't dreadfully cold.

Damian Apr 10th, 2000 05:44 PM

Yeah, 'Boxing Day' will be quiet but, I presume you'll be there longer than one day so, use the 26th to get over any jet-lag and start enjoying all that London has to offer on the 27th.

Christine Apr 10th, 2000 09:29 PM

I spent Christmas in London last year-everything was closed pretty much the 2 weeks we were there! That's because Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day all fell on the weekend. So they made the previous Friday's and following Monday's "bank holidays"-so basically 2-four day weekends in a row! Talk about a snoozer-luckily my husband's family lives there, so at least had the family to see and New Year's Eve in London was fantastic. <BR> <BR>Looking at the calendar this year-looks like they'll be making more four day weekends (Christmas Eve falls on Sunday-so they will probably "make up" for that by making either Friday or Tuesday a "bank holiday" and same thing with New Year's Eve). <BR> <BR>If you do go, buy some tickets for the theatre ASAP (Mama Mia is a great show) and make sure to ask your hotel to help you make reservations for an authentic english Christmas dinner at a pub. (they will be booked out that time of year). We did go to the London Musuem on one of the bank holidays so some things will be open-on "bank holidays" though-not on the "official" holidays. Remember the weather will be dreary.

Ben Haines Apr 11th, 2000 09:15 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>I'm afraid I think arrival on 26 December a poor idea. London remains pretty inactive from then to 3 Janjuary. As Miss Dalton says, for about three of those days museums and galleries are closed. There's very little classical music, and not much more pop music. Several theatres are given over to pantomime, which is fairly rubbishy in the West End -- though it is good in the suburbs. If you scan the listings for the Fringe in Time Out magazine you can still find theatre with more content than block-buster musicals. Days are short and weather is cold. Most of the pubs that serve lunchy cease to do so from 24 December to 3 January. After 24 December none serve Christmas dinners. <BR> <BR>The period 1 to 23 December is quite different, and is delightful. I'll say why if you ask me. <BR> <BR>I hear that both Prague and Budapest stay lively from Christmas Day to 3 January: can you reach one of those ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Bob Apr 11th, 2000 02:52 PM

I was in London over Christmas 3 and 4 years ago. As for Boxing Day, few stores are open, but restaurants were open everywhere and there was absolutely no problem, even on Christmas Day. As for public transportation, it is quite amazing for a city like London that virtually nothing runs on Dec. 25, but Dec. 26 was fine, though somewhat restricted. By Dec. 27 you should have no problem doing anything you want.